Exercise questions, need help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Grams, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Grams

Grams New Member

I have type 2 diabetes, FMS, CFS, & arthritis and I simply MUST exercise! I use an elliptical machine for cardiovascular. I can't use a treadmill, stationary bike, or walk outside for various reasons. I do well with the elliptical.

What I need, and haven't been able to accomplish, is a weight training routine. Where/how do I begin? Several times I've made attempts and just have not been able to find something that works for me. Going to a gym or the Y is out, I need something I can do at home. What about stretching bands or tubes? I need something simple and inexpensive. What about Pilates?

I know it should be done every other day to allow the muscles to rest and repair. What else do I need to know?

Thanks in advance for any help, it will be much appreciated!
  2. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

Hi Grams-
    a good start would be to use soup cans or filled up water bottles as weights, until you find them too light, then you can get out to Walmart and get the real hand held weights.

another cheap start is panthose. Yep, in place of rubber resistance, You stand on the "crotch" part, and then use the legs as your actual "tubes".

Some good basic moves include; bicep curls, deltoid raises, triceps presses, and seated back rows for upper. For lower, squats, standing hamstring curls, are some solid basics.

do a search engine and look up basic strength training, and you will find many resources, many with pictures of the exercises.

I also recommend any books by Joyce Vedral as a beginner strength training manual.

good luck, and in the beginning, you may only want to train 2- 3 times a week. muscle groups need at LEAST one day of rest between workouts.two days is better. especially for us FMS/CFS'ers. Go slow, and don't overdo it.

take care.
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

With your CFIDS you need to be careful not to overdo it with exercising. I would suggest simple stretches which will help with your FM by keeping those muscles from tightening up too much.

Barbara
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Without first getting a trainer to show you the proper form and breathing. You can cause all kinds of problems lifting incorrectly. Weights are cheap at K-Mart or Wal-Mart. I don't recommend cans as they are too easy to drop. Weights are made to grasp.

Pilates can also cause all kinds of problems unless one finds an instructor who really knows what he or she is doing.

The stretch bands give a good resistance workout, especially for the lower body where weights don't work as well.

For people like us, lighter weights or resistance with more reps works better.

Love, Mikie
  5. Grams

Grams New Member

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm waiting for the results of a lumber MRI, and will hopefully start physical therapy after that. I'm being very careful about everything! I'm hoping to combine PT with some strength training instructions, but I still look out for myself as far as doing too much.

Thanks again, blessings. . .