EXERCISE THE PAIN AWAY

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by christrut341, Mar 31, 2006.

1. christrut341

christrut341 New Member

I have started a walking program recently. A friend and I walk 3 times a week on our lunch hour about 8 blocks.
    The doctor told me exercising is good for Fibro patients. What I realize is that I don't really think he meant walking.

after walking I become easily winded, feel breathless and my legs feel like blocks of concrete. My back aches and every part of me feels like it is spiraling out of control, all while I am working at my desk trying to keep a happy face on.

what types of exercise does everyone find helpful that would cause a limited amount of backlash. It's hard enough dealing with regular body aches of exercising but the fibro increases the painful feeling by 100.
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

wELL I walk a lot, walked two miles today try and do that most days. Sometimes(mostly) it hurts to walk, but actually no more than it hurts NOT to walk. The pain stays about the same once I rest a little. I sometimes manage a 20 min raquet ball session and I swim but find the chlorine bothers me, so I will be lake swimming in the summer. Also we are remodelling the house so I do more than I should but a whole lot less than I used to do.

My back is aching, and my hip, neck and feet from the walk today. I used to walk ten miles and love it. So there is the loss.

Some people here can hardly make it across a room, and any exercise makes them a whole lot worse. I guess it depends on what you can do most comfortably, if anything. I tried Pilates and it did me in.

Love Anne C

[This Message was Edited on 03/31/2006]
  3. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

exercise program that fits you..Because of having plantar fascitis to go along w/all my other probs, gentle stretching b4 getting out of bed in the AM is all I can do. I also have IBS & any type of bouncing, sends me into a flare w/that.

Some folks like & enjoy water therapy, tai chi, yoga, some walking, & chair exercising.

It's a matter of trial & error, til you find what's right for you. Just go slowly w/all of it, & a few minutes at a time. Then build up on your time as you go along.

I know what you mean by saying;"your body feels like it's spiraling out of control", & also the pain puts me down for almost a week.

So, I guess all you can do, is what your body will let you do..I think we all "listen" to our bodies. The mind says yes, & the body says; No Way!!!!! lol..

Good luck, hope you find something that will work for you. It all takes a lot of time & effort.

Hugs & Blessings;
    Fifth
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

Walking SEEMS to be the easiest on us.
    Although,..even walking is gonna cause some discomfort untill your muscles build up a tolerance to it. (I'd think so)
    I know I have increased pain after taking a walk.
    But I try to keep with it~
    Another kinda easier exersize is using a swiss ball.
    Ya know those really big balls that you can sit on and bounce?? They even have a starters/easy video of exersizes to do on them.
    In all honesty,..I bought one looking for the easiest way to tone up my Fibro ridden body. LOL I did use it for awhile,...but like everything else,..I got bored with it.
    Not so much boredom as,... I think I got sick enough to the point where I could'nt even do that so I stopped for a "few days" and never got back into it.
    I want to tho. Especially with summer coming I need to do something.
    Best of luck! and whatever you choose to do,...go easy.
    8 blocks
    is alot!! maybe your body can only take on 4-5 right now. Maybe cut it back a bit.?
    Take care :)
    Tandy
  5. berrytired

berrytired New Member

Weight Training for Muscle strength cross trainer and walking.
  6. mom4three

mom4three New Member

That non impact is good IE swimming, stationary bikes, yoga..

Me well I cannot do any as of yet. In too much of a bad flare for 2 months now.

My doctors have said to me that Not to do more then 5-10 minutes at a time until it is easy.
  7. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

When I first started walking it was torturous. I started out by walking up and down the driveway once every day. Then after about three months of this, I started walking a block.

It was tough but I kept with it and after another few months I extended it to two blocks. After a year of increasing by small increments I was able to walk six blocks.

I'm so glad that I had the perseverance to stay with it because now walking is a joy and the highlight of my day.

I use a walker and on bad days I don't always make six blocks but I walk at least a block everyday and I always feel better for it.

It keeps me mobile (Use it or Lose it is Truth) and lifts my spirits.

I hope you'll consider a walking program that respects your limits and allows you to start small and increase slowly.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  8. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

My pain levels have been high and daily since I got deconditioned again. But when i exercise regular, I can get a break from painkillers at least once a week.

I do light range of motion exercises in my chair, w/ deep breathing w/ each rep I do and a deep breath in between. I'm only at 3 reps now, but would like to get back to 5 reps. It's important to start very slow or else we get rebound pain. The late morning is the best time for me, when I'm ungrogged enough, and it takes my morning stiffness away quicker and usually reduces my pain for the day. I do exercises every 2nd day, w/ walking in between days, and a break from both maybe once aweek, this seems to be my best balance.

Jeanne
  9. sunnywey

sunnywey New Member

I go to "Curves".
    It's only 30 min. and you work as hard as you personally feel like.
    After 30 min. when the core of my body ( as my physio-therepist calls it)is warmed up - I stretch for 5 min. and a lot of my stiffness comes out ( temperarily)
    I haven't been for 3 weeks, cuz I had a bad flare, but went today - and I feel GREAT!
    They will let you have a free trial, if you want to check it out. I've gone for 3 yr.
  10. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Do you have CFIDS? If you do, that might be why exercise is difficult for you. CFIDS people, like me, can get post-exertional malaise which makes it very difficult to exercise.

I can do mild stretching and that's it...but I've also been in an awful flare.

Lolalee
  11. Slangx

Slangx New Member

I have recently started working with a trainer, tailoring my "workouts" to the FM. You have to start very very slow. Before even trying to achieve any fitness goal, her first thing is to "do no harm".

First we started just walking 10 minutes, 2x a week.

About the 2nd week we added very gentle neck stretches, only stretch twice on each side.

The 3rd week, (still walking 10 min, 2 days) we added some "ball-work". Those big physio-balls? Someone mentioned you can bounce on them. Well, what we did was lean against the ball, against the wall, and do shallow squats (not ever letting knee get to 90 degrees, and certainly never OVER 90 degrees). I did 12 of those, then turned around, placed both hands on the ball, & did 12 "wall pushups". That's it.

FLARE FLARE FLARE! I had to ease off for a couple weeks, go back to only walking, then work back up. I felt fine doing the squats, but I felt really uncoordinated doing the wall pushups against the ball, with it being wiggly & stuff. Hurt my shoulders. So I didn't do those again.

OK, then after a couple more weeks, I got up to 20 minutes walking, twice a week, doing the ball/wall squats, and added some calf raises.

A couple weeks later, still at 20 min. walking, but I added a 3rd day. And added some bicep curls with 3 lb dumbells each day along with those ball/wall squats & calf raises.

See how I add a tiny new exercize only once a week or so? And I do about 12 reps, that's it. If it feels REALLY easy, I'll do another set.

With weights, my doc said No more than 3 lbs free weights, or 5-8 lbs on a machine.

Also, this last time I saw him when my MRI results were in, & it said I have 2 bulging cervical discs, now he says No walking! He doesn't want 20 minutes of repetetive jarring on my body. *sigh*

OK, so this weekend I will start replacing the walk with a stationary bike ride. I'll try to do the same amount of time, but I guess I'll have to wait & see how it feels.

Good luck!

12. forfink

forfink New Member

Funny thing.....I agree, you feel the pain wheather you exercise or not! So true. If you can walk a little on most days at least you are getting some exercise, I know it's difficult to get motivated some days, but it has to be better for you then sitting, right? Get those endorphins pumping. Some light yoga stretches help to keep your body from feeling stiff and old, that's about all I can do but I'm proud that I keep at it, that's a good feeling...
  13. lease79

lease79 New Member

I do a very a short bike ride on flat ground. I find for me that this is easier on me than walking ;)

Lisa