exercise w/o feet ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zggygirl, Jun 30, 2003.

1. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi all,
    I mentioned awhile back I was getting an MRI for my back to see if it was causing my severe feet pain. Well it came back negative-and of course I was disappointed.
    I used to be extemely active, rollerblading, bicycling, hiking and when I started being chronically sick I could at least walk (which I loved) so I am frustrated!
    I can't ride an exercise bike.(pressure on feet), etc.So I could only come up with swimming.
    We have an unheated pool not too far away. With this *lovely* spring we all had I waited and waited for the water to warm up.
    My last 2 attempts at swimming-sucked to be blunt. I froze in the water-never getting warm before I got tired-would get out and though it was 90 and humid-felt sick and had the chills.
    So I can swim when the water hits 80(?) when the outside temp. is above 75 but below 90....um ...somehow I don't think this is going to be quite enough exercise.
    Any ideas?
    Thank you,
    Ziggy

2. teach6

teach6 New Member

What about an indoor pool? I have the same problem. I don't tolerate the heat at all and I am unable to stand due to NMH. Swimming would be good for me, but I haven't found the right pool yet. We've had some hot days, so I'm hoping the pools have warmed up now.

Barbara
  3. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Same problem as you *G*! I can't find an indoor pool that I would swim in, I'm scared of public pools due to germs!
    Ziggy
    Plus I have to be outside as much as possible to keep my sanity!
    If you don't mind me asking what is NMH
    [This Message was Edited on 06/30/2003]
  4. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

You don't know how happy I was to see that you,
    do, indeed have feet. When I first saw your title,
    I was concerned! LOL

What kind of foot pain do you have. When I had my fragmented disc, I had the worst foot pain in the
    world. My feet always felt like I had pressed them
    too hard into a ladder rung or something. I do
    also have fallen arches on occasion. Now, with
    the FMS, it's hard to tell if I have pain in my feet
    from my back or FMS. Although, I am getting
    pretty good at distinguishing it. The back didn't
    cause the feeling of walking on rocks. It was
    very painful though. I also had sciatic running
    down my legs.

Have you been to a podiatrist or a chiropractor
    about your feet. I would actually suggest a chiropractor
    perhaps. When you find a really good one, they
    can be a godsend. May you need arch supports
    or something.

Exercise for me is nearly impossible. I tend to
    drag my feet on occasion. They have
    bicycle type items that you use with your arms
    instead of your feet.

Good luck,
    Lynn
  5. Peace7

Peace7 New Member

Either rowing a boat or a rowing exercise machine.

Many exercises can be adapted and done from a seated position. Perhaps you could try Tai Chi or Chi Quong (sometimes spelled Chi Gong). Or see if you can join a wheelchair basketball team.

Do an internet search for wheelchair and exercise to get some more ideas.

Anne
  6. JannyW

JannyW New Member

Hi Ziggy,
    Have you tried a recumbent bike? It doesn't seem to cause as much pressure on ankles & knees, so it might be easier on your feet.

I broke my ankle in March, and have really bad knees, so my exercise options are limited as well. Of course all the docs tell me to swim, but I never learned how! and I'm not really fond of being in the water anyway. And now my back is acting up, so I've pretty much become a Slug. Oh well ...

Jan ^v^

7. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Janny- I wondered about a recumbent bike, I'll have to find one to try-one concern though its that it it VERY hilly around here and I just don't know if one could make it up or down these hills.
    I tried it on my reg 12 speed bike and ended up walking it for the most part. I need to move!

Peace- I have Tai Chi tapes that I got as a gift and haven't been able to use yet-it requires standing. But I will try the wheelchair search-though I am not in one-yet!

Apple-Yea, I should have rephrased my title-ie;no feet.
    But yes I have seen a chiro, ortho, pod.,& neuro, (G)I have custom orthotics that I can't wear.
    The rock thing, that is what it feels like to you? It does for me, along with the pins/needles/burning/numbness/tightness. They say it may have come from working on ladders. Funny you mentioned that feeling of being on one!
    Maybe it is just plain old FMS But I think it is Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. That was the DX they gave me.

Thanks again, I will keep racking my brain here!
    Ziggy

[This Message was Edited on 07/02/2003]
  8. RedB

RedB New Member

How about the good old-fashioned "bicycle" with your feet in the air exercise that we used to do when we were kids?

I can still do it (once I get my fanny up there), but I'm not sure how good it would be on your back and neck. You'd have to ask a physical therapist, or someone more knowledgeable on this board. I just know that if I do it fast enough, it sure FEELS like aerobic exercise!

Kathy
  9. abjessop

abjessop New Member

hi ziggy

check out hte oregon fibromyalgia foundation. they have some excellent exercise tapes, all of which show variations that can be done in a chair. they hav e stretching, aerobics and toning.

My fm support group gets together to do the stretching and bits of the aerobics after support meetings, so I've seen a few of them.

we also have special fm aquafit classes in my community. Our fm group approached the pool, told the instructors what we needed, and now, there are 3 classes a week, usually at capacity. I think the temp is about 86 deg.

good luck

abby
  10. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the ideas. I wondered about that upside down bike thingy. Will have to find out about the neck/back thing.

And I will definalty check out those FM tapes. I knew that had to be something like that around!
    Thank again,
    ziggy