Exercise?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shirl517, Dec 31, 2005.

1. shirl517

shirl517 New Member

I need to start exercising! I do well for awhile
    then I flare and have to stop for 2 or 3 weeks.
    What is the best approach?
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I figured that a half hour at lunch would at least give me some exercise. I lasted 3 weeks and my left knee went nuts on me. Had to use a cane for a month.

Maybe yoga can help us with FM. Any others out there do yoga?
  3. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Over 25 years now managing FMS.

Stretching is so beneficial, especially over those big stability balls. Key, take time in each stretch, at least a full minute, but preferably much more. The ball supports your body, relax in to the stretch and hold, relax.

Stretching occurs during yoga poses, but be careful, go VERY slowly, some poses may be off limits for you completely.

Water. It has been so therapeutic for me I have become a certified aquatics instructor. In individual sessions and also in my classes, I set aside a good portion of the hour for stretching in the pool including using some yoga poses.

No matter what you try, start out very slowly, without many repetitions. Build slowly over a long period of time.

Exericse is a VERY IMPORTANT key in our managing FMS. When done properly, you will gain a sense of control over your pain. Nice place to be.

Fondly, June
  4. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i walk as far as i can and when i can but i really listen to my body.

when i can, usually after my bath i do free weights (small) and stomach crunches (i used to compete in martial arts and i hate i no longer have a six pack) :) i do stretches in the evening and once a week i attend a dog training club and work with my dogs through the week.

its a case of doing what yuo can and when ever you can. the last time i ignored my body i was physically sick and laid up i was so rough all i could do was sleep.

i like to swim too but it takes a lot out of me but i always over do it in the pool.[This Message was Edited on 01/01/2006]
  5. ksc

ksc New Member

i started off with beginners yoga. stretchin-for me- makes abig difference. slowly worked myself up to a trainer-who really knows something- at the gym. exercise has made a big difference in how i feel.it's hard to get past the pain, but if you-do it.
    kathy