exercise

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by anny, Nov 23, 2002.

1. anny

anny New Member

can any one help my daughter, she has FM and would like to know if exercise helps with the upper arm weakness, and if it does, what type?. many thanks
  2. anny

anny New Member

can any one help my daughter, she has FM and would like to know if exercise helps with the upper arm weakness, and if it does, what type?. many thanks
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Any excercise is beneficial---not only to improve strength, muscle tone, circulation, flexibility, and greatly improves our state of mind, due to the chemicals produced.
    It's my belief it must be started gradually, for very short period of time, carefully monitoring the results.
    If there has been no excercise in this area for quite some time, I would start with limbering and stretching, and simple full range movements for quite awhile, just letting the weight of the arms contribute to resistance.
    The key here, is gradual, and careful. Slow movement, no sudden quick or bouncing movements--want to avoid muscle damage. Besides benefits are increased with the slow movement as we are not using momentum to carry the limb.
    After a reasonable amount of time has passed, (I would err on the side of caution). One can add very light weights, with again a gradual progression if one is having no adverse affects. There are lots of excercise books which show various strengthening techniques and importantly how to do them properly. I wouldn't limit myself to just strengthening bi-ceps and tri-ceps tho....I would work all upperbody...groups, including pecs, traps, etc. Then perhaps she will feel good enough for an all over plan, eventually, so the body is balanced. Please invest in a good book--and be very gentle and careful. (Do not try to keep up with the suggested repetions or weights in these books though, adapt them, to your daughters capabilities)
    Stop at the first sign of pain. A tiredness to the muscles can be expected---pain is a sign that something is being damaged.
    Good luck! Sounds like a wonderful project for your daughter.
    Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 11/23/2002]
  4. Kim

Kim New Member

The best exercise I have found is just floating in a warm swimming pool. Sort of treading water. It really firmed up my arms when I did it two summers ago and the warm water made my pain better. Just don't overdo it. kb