Exercise?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by paulajo, Mar 22, 2003.

1. paulajo

paulajo New Member

Does anyone know of a good exercise plan for fibro people. I am currently using the toning beds in our town and believe it is helping my flexibility some. I have difficulty getting up and down so floor exercise is painful. I would like to lose a few pounds but am more interested in not being stiff. I live in a small town so there are not a lot of choices. I'm thinking about yoga?

pj
  2. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I would also like to exercise, but find any exercise makes me feel horrible all over.

I have found just recently in the Northwest area of the state of Washington a place called Curves...I don't know if it's around the country or what.

It's exactly a half hour work-out with resistive training for very short periods of time on machines, then, in between you're on a walking in place type of thing awaiting the timed person on the next work-out machine. It takes exactly one half hour from beginning to end.

I've had patients that seem to tolerate it very well, no matter the age group or the diagnosis. I have friends doing it also.Whatever they're doing there, it's working for many people & is at least worth a look see. I've also heard that they give you one week free to see if you would continue it.

People claim no horrible pain as with other work-out programs and it's recommeded that people only do it three days a week.

I think I'll be checking it out once I finish with this job that's physically killing me on Tuesday. I'll have to let you know how it goes. dolsgirl
  3. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

What a wonderful thing. When my doc suggested a regular routine (at least 30 minutes, 3X a week, cardio) I thought she was nuts. I didn't think it was a realistic goal. Boy, was I wrong. It has been a blessing for me. I follow a regular walking schedule (it's VCR Walk The Pounds Off), gentle stretching/yoga, swimming (when the pool is available), and if at all possible, low impact aerobics.

I'm not into gyms - I don't like to be watched, coached, or feel uncomfortable about my looks. Find what works for you and start slowly while building up to your goals. Lisa
  4. healing

healing New Member

Actually, I think a stretching program such as Pilates, yoga or tai chi may be best. Water aerobics are also good because you are not stressing your joints.

I do much better when I exercise, but then I'm not as bad off as some on this board. While I feel like just sitting or lying down many days, I always feel better if I make myself get up and move around.

I try to walk, usually on a treadmill because it's easier on my joints, and I stretch using Pilates. I also use a chi machine (also known as a swing machine), which is very helpful for keeping my lymphatic system working (a rocking chair used 15 minutes twice a day can achieve a similar effect).
  5. jka

jka New Member

i got a beginers tape and it has really helped a lot.at first i thought i'd never be able to do it, but after a yr. it,s easy. and makes a difference for me.also mild walking on a treadmill is good.

kathy c.