Exercises and Fibro Can you Help Me?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by janieb, May 13, 2006.

1. janieb

janieb New Member

Hi,

I have a new doctor and like her very much. I have fibro and arthritis in my shoulder and back, and am hyperflexible. Moving is painful most of the time.

While I like the doctor, she wants me to get a trainer and work out 3 times a week on a weight bearing machine.
    I can't imagine I'm going to be able to do this, but I need to know what the rest of you think? She suggestes a chiropractor for the pain in my hips, which is caused by the back arthritis.

I'm also starting the guai and I need to check out my other meds for sals, right?

I'm overwhelmed by all this new stuff at one time.

janieb
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

I always thought weight training was one of the worst things you could do for FMS.

At least that is what one physician told me years ago. She said stretching was better.

I am sure someone else will answer who knows more update information.

Please make sure you take is slow.

Thanks,

Karen
  3. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

If there is a gym or YMCA or swim club in your area, see if they offer water aerobics. You get a good workout but it's easier on your joints and limbs because of the buoyancy of the water.
    I've been doing it for past 4 years. It also makes me sleep better. I go 2 to 3 times per week.

Good lucK
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

not to mention hiring a personal trainer at a gymn is like lifestyles of the rich and famous.

I can't swim at pools myself, because of MCS, but water aerobics is geared for people w/ limitations and is esp. easy on arthritic joints. I do light range of motion exercises w/ deep breathing in the late morning, and it really helps unstiffen me, and I have overall less pain. I walk every second day too, that's my favourite.

If you pick something you like, you'll be more likely to stick to it. Group exercise events can be nice because of the social outlet. If you are a joiner and liek that, then I highly recommend a light martial art like Qui Gong, Tai Chi, or Y-Dan.

Jeanne
  5. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I recommend the range of motion and stretching. That is the plan my doctor has me on and it has helped me very much.

I have alot less pain and stiffness now.

Hugs,

Jodi
  6. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

told me to never do weights, water aerobics are better. Try swimming or even walking if there is nothing closer in you area, otherwise, you will be in a great deal of pain.
  7. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

that I use quite a bit. I got it for under $100 at Wal-Mart a few months ago.

I have some problems walking, even short distances, and can't imagine doing any kind of resistance exercising. There is no resistance, not a strength workout, just sort of swinging your legs and arms. Also no jarring. You set your pace and range of motion by how fast and far you choose to move your arms and legs. It would be comparable exercise to a brisk walk without any jarring.
  8. tinypillar

tinypillar New Member

I don't do as much as I should, but the ones that worked best for me were walking and yoga (easy poses).

I also sometimes lift very light weights and do more reps, but it's hardly enough to gain muscle "mass". The key is finding out how much or little you should do as to not "over-do" it. Too much can cause you pain, and too little is better.
  9. megchampagne

megchampagne New Member

I'm currently about 1/2 way done with my PT. I would say more than half my time is spent lifting weights -- not barbells. These are weights hooked up on a pulley. You grab a handle in each hand and being on a rope, the weights are easier to lift, but you still get the stretching and endurance building in your muscles.

I don't understand why your doctor would tell you to get a personal trainer, when this doctor SHOULD be writing you a prescription for physical therapy, especially if you have fibro and arthritis -- a physical trainer isn't going to understand that, and you will be completely overworked.

One more important thing to remember, and this is the best thing I have ever read. We are going to be sore anyway. IT's better to be FIT and sore, than UNFIT and sore.

My PT is always difficult, and I really have to force myself to do it -- but I know it's helping me a lot. Even when I'm done with the PT, if I can't find a way to keep lifting weights, I'm hoping to find some sort of stretching exercises or something. Working out just feels so good.
  10. carebelle

carebelle New Member

My doctors have all told me ,water is the best exersize.Even just walking from one end to the other in a pool.
    I have trouble just walking, there is no way I could lift weights.Lifting my tyde bottle leaves me in pain.I am really going to try to walk the pool this summer its just across from our home.
    Any exercise I try to do makes me go into a flair. I planted some bulbs yesterday on my knees and today I hurt so bad in my back.A few weeks ago I tried planting some pansy's and I did it by laying on my side and crawling along front of the flower bed.
    I so love my flowers and when I had my mental breakdown working in the garden is one of the things that help my mind to get back to me.I'm just not sure I'll be able to have a garden next year.
  11. janieb

janieb New Member

It's nice that you took the time. My concern with the weight training is that I'm not sure I can do it. I talked it over with my husband and he doesn't think I can do it either.

She suggested it because I'm hyperflexible. It's very easy to sprain or tear muscles and she felt the machine would keep that from happening. She told me, in fact, that when you say fibromyalgia and hyperflexible in the same sentence, you're in big trouble. The hyperflexibility is part of Ehler's and my niece has the same set of circumstances.

I do know that water exercise would be best, but that would be about 80 miles round trip, three times per week. The price of gas and time and energy involved makes that sound overwhelming and very expensive.

Do you gals ever question whether you can't do those things or if you're just lazy? I find myself doing that almost every day. But, I worked for forty years and took care of all my extended family problems, as well. My mother lived with us for 2 1/2 years with alzheimers, while I had my one year old granddaughter living with us. Other than daycare 10 hours a day, it was all my responsibility. Therefore, I can't be lazy, right? Maybe I'm just tired.

Sorry to bore you.

janieb

12. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Sometimes I question myself because I normally love to clean house and do all those homemaking things,but I've really just not been able to do very much lately.
    I perfur to think I have learn to be careful about my limits because if I am not I pay for it with alot of pain.
    I think if you tell yourself you are being lazy ,you are going to cause yourself more stress.you need to be your own best friend and talk to yourself with kindness.I also think you may not have been able to except that you do have an illness that causes you limits somtimes.
    I do get very fustrated that I cant brush things off and just do what needs done but that doesnt mean Im lazy.
    If you beleave we are just Lazy then you probably beleave like some that this is really not a real D.
  13. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Did your doc say "weight bearing" or "weight training"?

There is a big difference. Walking is a weight bearing exercise. Lifting weights or working out on a weight machine is weight training.

Gentle weight bearing exercises may include walking or even slow simple dance steps. Water work is much easier on joints and sore tender muscles but doesn't have the same benefit as weight bearing exercise.

If you can't do the weight bearing then I think working in the pool is probably better for you. Some days I can walk, most days I can't.

I do a simple weight bearing routine at home that is done with a bar with a rubber cable attached. Takes about 5 minutes because I can't do as many reps as I should. It is considered weight bearing simply because I do it standing up. The routine can be done entirely sitting in a chair (this routine was designed for people in wheel chairs). However, if you do it sitting down it is not considered weight bearing.

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  14. janieb

janieb New Member

but she did specify this Nautalis? machine or one like it to keep my muscles from stretching too far and spraining or tearing. This is all so confusing, especially after finding out that guai is no longer a prescription and I would have to pay for Musinex. Told my husband it might be easier to just still ill.

Suppose I'll muddle through this, but at 62 I feel fortunate to keep my house clean and laundry done. Now I have to exercise? And pay for drugs that were prescription?

Need to get off the pity pot.

Thanks.

Janieb