Exercises for DD???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annie06, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Annie06

Annie06 New Member

I am curious to find out what sort of exercises any of you do that have DD?? My Dr. keeps mentioning to go for Aqua exercises......but I "hate" the pool!!! I try to do my stretching every morning. Hugs to everyone!

Annie06
  2. teawah

teawah New Member

Hi. Unfortunately I was told to swim also. Teh stretching is really good. I have to stretch or my muscles get really tight and bunched up and my pain is worse. Walking is also good but if your like me, I hate to leave the house unless I am in a car because I hate to be looked at. Maybe it's just my weirdness. I used to go to the gym with my husband but I get hurt SO easily I had to quit. I got hurt riding the bike and had to go to physical therapy for 6 weeks. I am going to try Yoga and Tai Chi next. I hope you find something that works.
    teawah
  3. bluebirder

bluebirder New Member

Several years ago I put a Flex plus on my charge card and hubby gave me some money toward it and we counted it as a gift for each other.

I started using it. At first (and before diagnosis) I was on and off again depending on what injury I had done that was getting irritated.

I have learned since I had PT following the car accident, (year after I stopped working was rearended while stopped at a redlight), that I could continue the machine use but just do a few of each instead of a whole workout and try to do it every other day.Weights are too much for most of us and we risk dropping them (creating new injury). With the Flex-Plus there is no quick jerk to my system and nothing ever gets dropped on my rib!

The machine uses resistance bands instead of weights.I use the smallest bands (5 or 10) for most things. This keeps me stretched out and the muscles are better when I do this. If I do too many or don't do it at all I tighten more.

I don't have a pool to my disposal though it was recommended. I did use one on a vacation recently to FL with friends. It helped strenthen and gives gentle resistance. I think the whole point to our exercise programs have to be resistance and in moderate levels as we can handle it. But something on a regular basis.

Drives my hubby nuts but I do walk back and forth in the hallway (where I have a wall on each side for bumping off of if needed) as a way of loosening (stretching and getting a walk) and then hold to the kitchen counter to stretch out my ankles (which stiffen from arch conditions).

If you have the pool at your disposal I would use it. Even just walking back and forth in the shallow end and resting between gives some benefit.

4. Tattoopixie

Tattoopixie New Member

Hi,
    I have heard several people talk about Aqua exercises, but I don't think it's like regular water aerobics (think the pool is much warmer than my gym's)- I have tried swimming in my gym's pool, but even though it's heated to around 78* that's too cool for me. I do get in their jacuzzi & do stretches in the water, but it wasn't worth the effort to get ready, drive there, change, then do it all in reverse- so I just do some gentle yoga stretches. I have been doing yoga for years, but I had to give up my other work outs since getting this DD. The Yoga For Dummies book has alot of useful info on how to safely do the moves. Maybe you can look at that at your library?
    Pixie
  5. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi annie! If your doctor wants to prescribe this, GO FOR IT, you will be glad that you did. The rehab center where i go has there pool at 98 degrees, it feels so good to go in there and be WEIGHTLESS AND MOVE ABOUT AND STRETCH! i have always enjoyed going to pools in my family before i even realized what i had, it was the only time i could be PAIN FREE. If you have never been in a pool that temp, just try it out, start by walking against the water jets and you will work muscles you haven't been able to work in a long time! i also bought a cheap used exercise bike just tonite, think i overdid, though, cause now my legs REALLY hurt! I asked the therapist at the pool about the "gazelle" that you probably saw on an infomercial--she thought that looked like it just worked arms. I needed LOW impact so didn't want a treadmill. Last rheum. i saw said first recommendations were for STRENGTHENING exercise but now after a multinational conference, they are advising STRETCHING exercises. In other words, even the docs don't know! Good luck, Laurie
  6. Judi

Judi New Member

Hi, my name is Judi, I DON`T THINK I have talk with you either, there was several months that I didn`t get on here, I was having to go back to therapy & when I got home, I just didn`t feel like getting on here.
    I don`t know if where you live you can get Denise Austin on TV, BUT here in Okla. she has a low impack, then right after that she does her regular exersices. I started with the low impack. it has been great. the dr`s are for it as long as I don`t do anything over shoulder level, I have had 2 neck surgeries, the last one was a year ago & a metal plate was put in there. but I should NEVER do anything about shoulder level& that is so HARD!!!
    Maybe this will help you, I was trying Richard S, OH boy did I ever get a talking to. we with FM need low impack & walking with good shoes. even if we start walking 2houses down the street & back, it is something. I refuse to give up & I want the weight off that has come in this body.
    Hang in there I will be praying for you,
    God Bless You,
    Love,
    Judi
  7. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi Annie06:
    I've wanted to try water aerobics too, but can't tolerate the cold pool water around here. I bet it would help with the flexibility alot.
    I do yoga, a gentle stretching type of yoga which lubricates the muscles and joints. I also have started tai chi and I LOVE it!!!!! It gives me more energy and I feel great after doing it. It is easy to do and if you can move a foot in either direction, you can do it too. I also try to walk when I can, but I live in the frozen northland and usually can't get outside to walk til April or so.
    Let us know what works for you!
    Love and hugs,
    sue
  8. Bambi

Bambi New Member

and is very very low impact exercise
    on a pad. The videos or books are
    inexpensive. You can get the video
    and pad on QVC for about $30 including shipping. Many doctors are
    advocating it for FM. That's what I
    am going to try. Hugs,Bambi
  9. jka

jka New Member

i do beginers yoga and walk on my treadmill when i can.mostly dont over do it if you are having a good day.my doc wanted me to do aqua ex too. but just not into it.the yoga and walking i can do at home when ever i feel up to it.

good luck
    kathy c