Exersize programs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deedeej, Mar 21, 2006.

1. deedeej

deedeej New Member

I have been going to curves for nearly 2 years and found it awsome.
    I lost weight and firmed up.
    Wha my problem is that I can hardley get out of bed most days so going to the gym is out fo the question.
    I got the pilaties workout and have been doing that when the pain allows me.
    Can anyone give me ideas of exersized that they do that helps with the fibro or can at least tolerate it.
  2. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I started out just doing gentle stretches and walking 10 minutes a day. I gradually was able to increase my walking time but that took a long time.

I also go to Curves. Somedays I can't do the two complete circuits. I just do what I can. My body really won't let me go more than 2-3 times a week right now. I tried to increase and had to cut back down. I also spread the three out, going Monday, Wedesday, Friday or Saturday.

I sometimes walk up and down my very long driveway, or go to the park if I can't make it to Curves.

Last summer I got in the pool a lot. I have an above ground pool. The water is really easier than anything for me but there is not anywhere near me with an indoor pool.

Don't beat yourself up because you can't "do what you used to". Just start out slow and don't give up.
  3. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I still work so it was hard for me to summon the energy.

Some days are better than others.

Once I pushed myself and had an absolute meltdown. Thats what I call it when I get so tired I can't move. But that only happened once and was really my fault.

There is one machine I skip because it makes my back hurt. I just walk in place behind the machine when I get to that one.

If it hurts too much I don't do it. Having said that, I hurt all the time so its not like the pain ever goes away.

I just did a partial work out until I could do the whole circuit. You complete two circuits for a total workout time of about 30 minutes. You alternate between a machine and a rebound board (thats a platform that is raised with foam thingys on the bottom to reduce the impact)

You do stretches afterwards. At first I had to do stretches before working out because I was so tight and stiff.

I have been going for 3 months to curves, but I began a regular exercise routine a year ago, so I was surprised I had to "build up" to Curves. But then, it combines, strength straining and aerobic conditioning.

I have to say water exercise is my absolute favorite. Less pain and more flexibility in the water. There is just not an indoor pool nearby.

4. deedeej

deedeej New Member

I really did love it with the people you meet and visit with. The atmostphere is so positive.
    I would sure give it a try if you can.
    Ask for a month trial before you sign up.
    Dee
  5. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I am not trying to be negative, but I just want to let you know my experience with exercise programmes.

* was going to the local heated salt water pool and developed a chemical sensitivity to the chloride - can't go any more. But it was lovely, and I would recommend it to anyone who can handle the chemicals.

* bought myself a treadmill: started at .25 kilometres a day - gradually, over about 2 months built it up to ,8 a day. My aim was to reach 1 kilpmetre i.e., a bit under half a mile, a day by the new year. I crashed. My doc. said that it was largely due to my OVERDOING IT. That was in December. I am not yet back to even being able to get on the treadmill.

* I have a chi machine that I lie on for 15 minutes a day and I do some stretching exercise lying on the floor - with a scented candle burning to give atmosphere.

The Message - 'use it or lose it' is a great motto, but be careful of overdoing it. We cannot work through the fatigue like athletes can work through the pain.