Exhaustion Episodes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shrtcak81, Feb 8, 2007.

1. shrtcak81

shrtcak81 New Member

All day I usually feel weak and a tired, but once or twice a day I get these extreme exhaustion episodes. I feel completely drained and can almost fall asleep sitting or standing up. They may last 20 minutes or up to an hour. Does anybody else experience this?

Crystal
  2. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

I get that way about twice a week. I seem to have some sort of wierd sleep cycle. I go through a couple of nights with great sleep then several where I wake up at 3am (even with lunesta). Then I have days where I feel like I hit a brick wall. I used to keep pushing through the tiredness, now, when I can, I give in and take a nap (which can last from 2 hours to ALL day AND night). The odd thing is the need for a nap doesn't seem to have any relationship to how much sleep I get at night.

Joann
  3. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Actually, I am currently being evaluated by 3 types of Dr's for this problem! Starting about a year ago, when I began a new treatment protocol for my Fibro/ Chronic Chlamydia Pneumonia, I began experiencing what I called Fatigue Attacks. They would hit me like a ton of bricks. I would have to go sit in the recliner or lie down in bed...I'd crash & fall asleep for 5-40 minutes.

The episodes worsened to the point where I got very frightened about driving. These attacks would happen at home several times a day & often when I was out driving. They were SO severe that it would take all my concentration just to stay awake while driving. Not good.

I reported the symptoms to my FM Dr.all last year. They had me on Provigil. It worked at first, but after taking it for about 5 months, it lost it's effectiveness. It never eliminated the attacks, but did seem to keep me alert in the A.M.'s/ early afternoon. (Provigil was taken first thing in the morning.) My Dr.wasn't sure what was going on, so he suggested I see my Primary Dr. for a work-up. From there, I went to see a Cardiologist, an Endocrinologist & revisited my Sleep Center. (I have Sleep Apnea & use a CPAP at night.)

So far, the only guess we have is possible Narcolepsy, altho' my symptoms do not fit the exact pattern usually seen. I am going to have a 24 hour sleep study done to check for the Narcolepsy. In order to have the study done; I need to be off Klonopin & Zanaflex. The Dr's want me to be clear of any meds that might cause excessive drowsiness. So I am currently tapering off of both these meds. (Slowly)

Time will tell if 1)these meds were partly to blame, if 2)I have Narcolepsy or if 3)this is just another weird symptom of FM/ CFIDS. (Hopefully, it'll be one or both of the first 2!)

My "attacks" included getting blurred vision/ seeing double. I would be in a half awake/ half asleep mode...I could hear my family talking, but was unable to interact with them while in this state. I also dream during these attacks/ naps, which I have read is indicative of Narcolepsy. Most people do not enter REM sleep minutes after falling asleep!

The Sleep Center told me not to drive...Good advice. It has been very difficult to be off the road(for a month so far), but at least I can know that I won't get in an accident & harm myself or others.

I'm sorry you are experiencing these "Exhaustion Episodes". I hope you get to the bottom of the cause also. Do you get adequate sleep at night? Inadequate sleep could cause you to be wiped out during the daytime. Untreated Sleep Disorders could also be a cause.

P.S. I forgot to mention that my blood pressure would drop with my episodes. (Sometimes to 78/46 or so!) The Cardiologist is the one who looked up my meds on his computer & found that Klonopin & Zanaflex can cause Hypotension. He thought the meds might be a factor in my episodes. The Sleep Center wanted me off of them for the study as they would interfere with monitoring my body's natural sleep patterns, etc. I've been on both of these meds for years & actually wanted to stop the Klonopin anyway. If I need the Zanaflex, I can go right back on it after the sleep study.

Blessings,
    Annie
    [This Message was Edited on 02/08/2007]
  4. Empower

Empower New Member

Try to keep track of what you are eating, not eating, the time you are eating, and when these episodes are happening.

I have found that eating certain things like pizza, cereal, things with too many perservatives or food colors in it, will do this to me.

Sounds crazy, but true
  5. shrtcak81

shrtcak81 New Member

There isn't any coorelation to the amount of sleep I get and when these episodes occur with me either. The thing with me is I usually sleep throughout the whole night getting about 8-9 hours sleep. Between the days I get enough sleep and the days I don't, I still get these episodes. I am hypoglycemic, so I do notice a major affect when I eat too many carbs, so for the most part, I control my diet. But even with eating right, I'm still experiencing the extreme fatigue.

Crystal
  6. LACurrry

LACurrry New Member

this way about 2-3 times a week. I will be in the middle of doing something and out I go. It was much worse the first year I got sick. I tested positive for EBV but they said it is no longer current. I have recently found that my bood sugar is high and so I am very careful in watching what I eat and do not eat. Does not seem to matter. I slept ALL afternoon today, as an example. I am still feeling like I could crash but am going to fight it so I sleep tonight.
  7. foggygirl

foggygirl New Member

CFS, FM & IBS here.

I started getting these "instant crashes" as I call them--dizzy, nauseous, total pull my plug exhaustion, headache, and MUST lie down, shortly after all this crap started with a bad case of mono. I found that immediately when the early signs start to show (a little nauseous, my feet start to hurt, feeling of energy drain etc.)--if I lie down before it really hits, I can usually avoid them now. Unfortunately, I haven't found any cure for the "deep crashes" that hit except pacing, and watching what I do, try to avoid stress, etc.---helps but doesn't stop them.

I'm relieved to hear that I'm not the only one with the weird sleep patterns, although so sorry you all are going thru it too. I'll have days, weeks, where I'll sleep 8 to 10 hours a night plus 2 to 4 hour naps, than flip to where I barely get 4 hours at night and that's poor sleep; total zombie for days or weeks on end, than back to sleeping all the time. I work hard at pacing (I'll even set a timer--20 min. up and 20 minutes down) but can't get a handle on it to lessen it.

We all seem to have gotten away from noteing on our posts whether we have CFS OR FM, but I believe these are just another nasty part of these awfull diseases.

Wishing you good health

Foggygirl