Expensive medication

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Nov 18, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

Does anyone have a hard time getting the med's that you need becuse you can't afford them? I have to take Wellbutrin and Ambien.(There is no generic)

I do not have health insurance, but then again, who can afford that!!!!

They are both over 100.00 each and at times I have to skip taking the medication that I need so badly. My system gets all messed up, especially when I have to skip a few days of my anti-depressant. I get so frustrated at the cost that they can charge for these drugs. It is rediculous!!!

Kriket
  2. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

Many drug companies offer patient assistance programs (PAP). These generally allow you to receive their medicine at reduced or no cost. Eligibility requirements vary.

Wellbutrin is manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline. You could check their website for any available programs.

Unfortunately, the manufacturers of Ambien do not have a PAP for it. I too struggle to cover the expense of it, but it is the only thing that helps me sleep.

Good luck,
    Kat
  3. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

Ask your physicians office for info. We have nurse in our clinic that gets us the paperwork for my husband. (He gets Requip, Wellbutrin and Imitrex)

You can also ask your pharmacist what pharmacutical company the drug is with, and then go online to that company and they have infomation this way.

I hope this helps because I am sure you can get your Wellbutrin this way.

There is not any cost for the meds this way, and we send in the script they send us or reorder online once every 3 months.

Take care and kitten hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  4. caffey

caffey New Member

I am not from the US. But I saw a commercial ( I need to start writing this stuff down sorry) on A and E about getting funding for drugs you can't afford. Maybe you could check it out. All the best.
    Cath
  5. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

Welbutrin SR now comes in generic but Welbutrin XL does not. Maybe you could ask your doctor about switching you to the SR. I did that last spring for a while.
  6. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

I am pretty sure if you still go into pharmacutical companies (do a web search just on that)and check out their sites, might still cover there.

Worth a try. :) If not, let me know and I will find out from my friend at the physicians office.

Take care & kitten hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  7. Catseye

Catseye Member

I can't take ambien anymore. I have to be careful with my liver so I can't really take any drugs. Have you considered trying 5HTP or melatonin for sleep? The first increases serotonin and the second is the hormone your body uses to sleep. You can get them at the health food store. I used to take 5htp but it makes me pee all night whenever I take something after like 6pm. I took 100 mg and it always put me to sleep. They are a lot less expensive than the drugs. But since 5htp increases serotonin, you shouldn't take it with the wellbutrin. It would be something to try if you stop wellbutrin. karen
  8. kjfms

kjfms Member

I haven't any insurance either and I only work part time so I unable to get it through work at the present time. I go to a clinic that has a sliding scale fee which helps a lot.

I use patient assistance where I can -- for Topamax that alone cost an arm and a leg couldn't take it without PA.

Larry posted this site several months ago AmeriSavings Discount Card Script Solutions:

https://www.prescription-savings.com/card.asp

I downloaded the prescription card and I save 50% on my pain medication [Darvocet N-100] I am not sure of all the prescriptions Rx's you can save up to 50%.

I think there is a list on the site -- you should check it out and download the card it can't hurt and it may help -- I know it helps me :)

I use this card at CVS -- the site has a list of drug stores that take the card and if I am not mistaken you can ask you pharmacy to call a number on the card to sign up just takes a couple of minutes.

Best of luck,

Karen :)
  9. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

I am really interested in help for the cost of Ambien, so I did a search. Montel Williams is sponsoring the Partnership For Prescription Assistance. Check out their website if you are interested.

(Donnaeil - thanks!)

Kat
  10. caffey

caffey New Member

you can purchase a pill splitter anywhere. They are $1 in our dollar store. WARNING. If you want to do that please make sure it is a pill that can be split. Some are time released and you can get your self into real problems especially long acting narcotics.
    Cath
  11. kriket

kriket New Member

I appreciate all of the helpful advice. It seems as though the prescription places that offer to help you, sure make it hard for you to even get completed with all the stuff you have to fill out. I have not had very good luck with prescription saving offers.

As for the natural stuff, I've tried everything under the sun, and no luck with any of that.

I take wellbutrin XL, and took 4 other anti-depressants before I found this one that worked, so I would be scared to try and switch.

There are some places that some of you named for assistance that I have not checked into yet, but I am going to give them a try.

Thanks to all of you for your input!!

Kriket
  12. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

prescriptions are so expensive now it's rediculous. even with insurance i pay $260 a month for medication. thats just the normal thing i take everyday to make life tolerable. that doesn't include otc's or if i get sick and need antibiotics or anything else extra. also if this is how much i pay with insurance i can'c even begin to understand how someone without insurance affords their medication.
    rachel
  13. jessica0123

jessica0123 New Member

Hi,
    When you visit your Dr. ask him for samples of Wellbutrin SR or XL which ever one you take. I have never had any problem with sample given to me when asked for. They may not stock Ambien in their office, but probably Welbutrin.
    Best of results,
    Jessica