Experience with AHCC (aka ImmPower, Japanese Mushrooms)?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Does anyone have experience with a supplement called AHCC? (One of the brand names, sold on this board, is ImmPower.)

It is a mushroom derivative that is supposedly popular in Japan.

In theory it increases NKC activity as well as other types of immune function.

A weaker version was sold a number of years ago under the name MGN-3.

I'd be really interested in people's experiences.

Thanks for your help!

Best, Lisa

2. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Good question. I have wondered about these products as well. I know candida diets say to avoid mushrooms...I wonder if this type of supplement would fall in that category?

Hope you get some answers. I remember one poster who was on Valcyte was also taking the AHCC. I'm sorry I can't remember that posters screen name. She/he said their NK cell numbers increased.

Regards,
    Pawprints
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

empty2void stated that AHCC brought her NKC activity from single digits to something like 80 a few years ago. i'm not yet sure of whether she got symptomatic improvement though.

CherylSue said she took ImmPower a couple of years ago. It made her tired and so she stopped.

empty2void's positive experience is why I got interested in the AHCC.

I took MGN-3 a number of years ago for about two months. I got the feverish feelings that i now associate with viral killing the whole time. I did not get any symptomatic improvement though, and so gave up. (Upon reflection,, I may or may not have improved if I had continued.)

empty2void said she took MGN-3 at one point but did not get any noticeable response.

This supplement sounds intriguing (especially since it's supposedly popular in Japan), but I'd like more case histories.

Best, Lisa

4. ume

ume New Member

Hi Lisa,

Well, one thing I can say is that I don't know where the heck they got the info that this is 'popular in Japan'. I live in Japan, and I had never heard of it.

I tried it anyway, just to see. Now, I may not have tried it long enough -- about a month -- but I did not notice any difference. At that point I decided to bring it in to my acupuncuturist who 'tested' it for me (had me hold it to see if it would harm me or help me -- forget what this kind of testing is called?). He said he thought it was neutral for me, neither helping nor hurting, but that he would ask the other dr. at the clinic to test it for me, too. The second dr. had the same opinion. It is expensive, so I stopped using it.

Also, I would add that I really trust this dr. He has been of great help, giving me, gradually, improved stamina and cognitive clarity.

Again, though -- everyone is different. You may have success with it.

Sorry not to be more positive.

Ume
  5. pocahontas606

pocahontas606 New Member

hey you guys. just as a reminder i do not have cf/fm but have autoimmune issues and adrenal fatigue. so that being said i am very chemically sensitive and have suffered from hives for LONG periods of time. the immpower helped me tremendously when i would start a new supplement - i would take the immpower with whatever new product i would try
    and it would keep me from getting the hives (when i introduce aything new in to my system i usually get a severe immune response - the hives!) - anyway - the immpower really helped me. i would also take it anytime i would get the hives in general and it would stop them. i do not know what it did for me at a lab level but i know what that it works b/c it worked for me in this way and gave me relief from a symptom that has plagued me for 2 years.

hope this is of some help.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/02/2007]
  6. pawprints

pawprints New Member

You have a good memory! I hope you get more responses to this question.