Experience with DL-phenylaninine anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shootingstar, Jun 15, 2006.

1. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

Has anyone tried dl-phenylaninine or other aminos for increase in energy?

I am wondering what anyone's experience, over extended time, might have been.

Thank you for any input.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/16/2006]
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

bump
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

She is the resident expert on amino acids. Hopefully she'll have input.
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

I am hardly an expert, at anything. But will be glad to give you my 2cents.

I have never experienced increased energy from using amino acids. But, I do love them.

These are my FAVORITE Amino Acids. Take them away from protein sources.

1. L-Tryptophan, I take 1500 mg. at night for sleep. MUST take with B-6 so Tryptophan converts to Seratonin in the brain, not the intestines. Will help with sleep, anxiety, depression. Helps a LOT! My sleep problems go from a 9-10 to about a 3.

2. DL-Phenylalanine - I take 1000 mg in the morning for PAIN relief. Brings my pain from 8-9 down to 4-5, basically cuts my pain in half. And will help a bit with alertness. Also, it will COMPLETELY STOP my tremors when they act up.

3. Tyrosine - I sometimes take 1000 mg later in the morning, for alertness. Also helps to make Thyroid hormones. Nothing DRAMATIC, but helps some.

4. GABA-I take 500 or 1000 mg. at night, helps with sleep. Acts as a calming neurotransmitter. I take this separately AND as part of a product called REST & RESTORE, which I order from the FFC. This, along with my L-Tryptophan bring my sleep to about a 1.

Those are my favorites, always keep on hand, hate to run out of, quick order more, amino acids.

I also occassionally take, an Amino Acid Complex. I have always used Tysons' Aminotate. This was prescribed by my doctor, based on my Amino Acid Profile, and targets blood sugar metabolism.

I just ordered some (NOW brand) Amino Acids from Nokomis with my Tryptophan order the other day. Will let you know how/if I like them.

I have used L-Lysine many times, to treat cold sores on the mouth, and when I suspect I have something Viral going on, which is RARE.

Again, I have never felt they give me more energy, still looking for that magic pill.
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

My results are still kind of up in the air, I only started less than 2 wks.

I ordered from Swanson, very cheap, they are 500 mgs. First dose I got pretty woozey. Phenylaninine boosts dopamine, the same as Wellbutrin, which I'm on and trying to wean off, so the wooziness felt about the same as the first few days on Wellbutrin. Next dose of dl-ph. I had more energy, again what Wellbutrin has always done for me.

I think I'm noticing a reduction in pain. It doesn't act like a pain pill, it seems to take hours to kick in and doesn't releive acute pain once the pain has set in. It seems to delay the onset of pain if I take it before its started. Mid to late aft is usually when I have to break out the narcotics and lately it was earlier than that. But w/ the dl-ph. lately, it seems I don't take painkillers until at supper now, and that's w/ beieng pretty active too, enough activity that would usually bring on pain earlier.

So far I'm at one in the early afternoon and increased to another around supper or early evening. I'm pretty sure taking it later at night would keep me awake, Wellbutrin sure does. Maybe its that early eve dose that's causing me to be up so darn late just lately. But I thougt the insomnia and sleeping till noon was brought on by the flu. Guess I'll have to get over this flu before I know for sure.

It hasn't seemed to make me spacey since that first dose, so I'll try increasing to the 1000 mgs the other poster takes in the morning.

As w/ any amino acid, I take it on an empty stomache so it won't compete w/ other proteins, which could cancell out the specific job its meant to do. In this case, increase my dopamine levels and hopefully reduce pain and boost energy.

I've taken other aminos in the past. N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) which is the precurser to glutathione and packs a herx since it detoxifies and boosts the liver. That can help for acute chemical sensitivity to make you less hypersenstive. Glutathione is just as good btw.

And l-glutamine which is pure brain fuel and helps you think straighter. L-glutamine passes thru the blood brain barrier and converts to GABA, I used it temporarily when I quit smoking, recommened by an env. doc because it helps w/ cocaine and alcohol addiction too. It definitely helped me think straighter when I was on the terrible brain warp that quitting cigs puts me through for mths. L-Glutamine is also used for gut health and by athletes to feed muscles. I believe its the most abundant amino in the body.

jeanne
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

There was a recent poster who posted a special thnk you for being recommended phenylaninine. I hope they post their details and success story too.

Jeanne
  7. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

Thank you, elliespad and dncnfgrs, for all the information. I was just reading another thread on amino acids where someone mentioned knox gelatin was a good source of aminos. I did a search on that, and am thinking that gelatin taken by itself in the morning plus a diet containing fish a couple of times a week might be a good way to start increasing aminos.

I've been on a well-rounded diet, but possibly low in animal protein, which seems to be a primary source of aminos. I remember years ago, many many years ago, being on the old Weight Watchers diet which was very high protein but pretty inflexible. I noticed at the time that I felt better, although I seemed to cycle out of that good feeling. Looking back I can attribute some of that cycling to fibro, but at the time had no idea what might be going on.

Anyhow, the combination of gelatin and increasing fish intake does not specifically address phenylaninine but, at this time, it feels like a good way to start addressing any amino deficiency that might be tying me down.

Thank you, everyone, for your support.

[ advertisement ]