Experience with Dr. Richard Herman of IL?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ashleyw83, Apr 21, 2011.

1. ashleyw83

ashleyw83 New Member

Has anyone here had experience with Dr. Richard Herman? He works out of IL, and he's the author of the recent book 'Overcome What Your Brain Cannot'. Basically it sounds like he's working off the assumption of treating Fibromyalgia pain and symptoms as post traumatic stress, and he does have quite a few testimonials on his site, but since money is very tight right now, I was hoping to get some more real, unbiased experience with his treatment and if it's worth it?

Normally someone like this I would just write off, but he's saying one appointment, and most patients don't need to come back. Doctor's who want the fibro sufferers money will string us along for multiple expensive visits.

Thanks for any info you could give me
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

never heard of him but even though I do believe that trauma can have an impact on us physically & may even be the trigger to getting sick, I absolutely do NOT believe it is the cause of fibro......so it's not likely in my opinion that he has a cure..

..and anyone claiming to be able to help in one session makes me even more skeptical - fibro is not a quick fix thing and if it were more of us would be better

just out of curiosity where in Il is he?
  3. ashleyw83

ashleyw83 New Member

I'm sorry, it's Michigan, not Illinois.

Here is his website, which has some videos of patients:

He didn't start out attempting to help people with fibromyalgia, from reading his book, but he found that this attempt at 'speaking to the unconscious mind', was able to help people with Fibro type pain in particular.

I'm really hoping for feedback from someone that has actually tried his treatment, to get an unbiased idea of whether it's worth looking into or not.
  4. ashleyw83

ashleyw83 New Member

5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

If this worked for FM, then you would be hearing about it all over the media. This would be news! Anytime you hear a phrase such as 'speaking to the unconscious mind' you know you are being scammed. My advice would be to save your money.
  6. ashleyw83

ashleyw83 New Member

It was reported through a Fox news syndicate in Detroit. Apparently it helped a staffer at the station with fibromyalgia, and another staffer with pain from a rotator cuff injury.
  7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

It would be more legit if this was being reported globally, not just on Fox News. Fox is a bottom feeder. I'd take this more seriously if it were being reported on CBC, CBS, BBC, CNN, Global, etc. When I googled this treatment, the only person doing it was Dr. Herman and even then I couldn't really get any information.