experiences with chiropractors?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sweetbeatlvr, Feb 19, 2009.

1. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

i have been contemplating the idea of seeing a chiropractor.

i went to see one years ago (pre-FM diagnosis), when i was having trouble with my back, and it was not a good experience. i felt i left there in more pain then when i went in, and never went back.

now i am more hesitant to go, especially since i am in worse shape then i was then, and how it hurts just to be touched sometimes.

from information i've read lately, they seem to do more than just adjustments.

i've been having alot more numbness through my arms, and i believe it is from the severe muscle tension i have near my shoulder blades, and i was thinking they may be able to help?

would you mind sharing your experiences w/ chiropractors, good or bad? also, please tell me what procedures they've used and if they've helped or hurt?

thanks in advance.
  2. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

I'm sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience...I've been to MANY different ones, and like any doctor, some are decent, some are terrible...I went for the first time at age 18 and am 40 now...each of my children got adjustments on their way home from the hosptial...I kid you not!

For what you are describing, it sounds like a chiropractor could help you with your numbness. I had one bad experience over all, some years ago but just changed to a different one.

I've had both conventional adjustments, devices used and even one who only worked on the neck...usually followed by some ultra sound and other therapies.

I even had my jaws adjusted and haven't had too much trouble w/ TMJ since then...an awesome experiance to get rid of that pain!

Hope you can find a decent one...
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

as usual, there are both good and bad chiropractors, just like MDs, I have seen both. I would ask around and get referrals from friends if possible. So you will hear about both good and bad;

For my family our chiropractor is wonderful, even tho my DH has cervical stenosis and some of the same symptoms as you.

all the best,

4. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

i realize all doctors are not created equal, so i thought i should probably give it another shot with a different chiropractor.

i'm gonna call around tomorrow and see if any around here have any experience with FM.

5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Is Medicare your primary insurance? Have they been covering the chiro, or has your work? I'm wondering bc I'm on Medicare and from what I understood, they are only supposed to cover chrio treatment if it's for manipulation. If they are actually covering more than that, I might have to try going to one. I don't need manipulation, but some of the other stuff they do would be really helpful.
  6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

That's good to know...now I just have to figure out how to ask a prospective chiropractor if he/she knows how to bill Medicare. Before going on Medicare I saw a chiropractor who did a lot of trigger point stuff and physical therapy type stuff and it helped so much.
  7. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

every 3wks. If I could afford the massage more often, I would. I have the massage first (he works w/fm people) then the chiro right after. (she works w/fm people also) A good combo to have. I really could go every 2wks. for a lasting effect, but can't afford the massage, the chiro is covered by insurance.

They both know where the trigger points are & do a great job. I know I release toxins after the treatments, as I'm slightly nauseated & use the bathroom alot the same day.Also drinking water helps in releasing them.

Finding a chiro that works well w/fm people is difficult to find.. I went to a couple of them that said they did, they were no benefit at all...It's trial & error I'm afraid....My "normal" people that I asked for referrals of course, don't have the probs I do, & their referrals were useless...

Good luck to you;