Experiences with Effexor (XR) ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scott14, Sep 9, 2008.

1. scott14

scott14 New Member

Just wondering what folks' experiences have been with Effexor (XR)? Have CFS with secondary depression, anxiety and sleep disorders. Tried Prozac twice and had a terrible reaction both times (serotonergic syndrome/reaction?). Therefore, I feel somewhat gun shy about trying another anti-depressant. Am also on Seroquel and low dose of Clonazepam (Klonapin) for sleep and anxiety. Was on Paxil for a long time, but gradually eliminated it over two years ago, which was shortly followed by my current major depression and anxiety.

So, anyone have any experiences or input regarding Effexor, or anything related to what I just described?
  2. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Not a good choice for me .... i was on it several years ago for depression and it made me CRAZY!! I was edgy and nearly manic. Felt horrid.

So went off the trial dose (with medical advice) and had massive withdrawal symptoms which a nurse YELLED at me was not possible because I wasn't on a full dose. Argh. Was sooooo dizzy could not walk without holding onto a wall, nauseous, blood pressure was screwy ... I don't recommend it.

I've been told the withdrawal symptoms are usually HORRIBLE for most people.
    (1) I know people that it has helped
    (2) I have a tendency towards bipolar disorder ... so most ADs bring out that manic energy

Just my two cents. :)
  3. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

Secind time around itdidn't do anything for me. I am glad you are off paxil though. I had learned that it promotes memory loss. Sorry wish I could be more of a help. Jenn
  4. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

and woke up in paralysis. I was one of the few that this happens to. I was awake but could not move, roll over or call for my son to help me.

I was there for about 30 minutes before it wore off.

The most awful 30 minutes of my life. Very low dose as well. I couldn't believe my doc prescribed it for me as it can develop diabetes in susceptible people. Practically everyone in my family has diabetes.

Google it.
  5. goldengoddess

goldengoddess New Member

Turned out I was bipolar! Another friend turned dangerously anorexic. But I have another who swore his depression was helped, even though he was bipolar and wasn't on a mood stablizer- but I guess the pot smoking helped that out!
  6. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

and I have been totally off it for at least a month.

I did have a lot of the nasty withdrawals--I was on it for about 10 years. Possibly I am still dealing with crap from it--not sure

I know it helped to keep some of the pain at bay in my fingers & toes for Fibro.

I started out taking it 10 yts ago for depression at 75 mg, increased to 150 mg for awhile, and when I got my Fibro diagnosis increased to 225 mg.

Lost my insurance, in March & started going to the free clinic in June who told me Effexor XR would be going to generic so they no longer could get samples and advised me to start Cymbalta instead.

Nervous about starting Cymbalta. I can't afford the Effexor XR @ 225 mg a day {3-- 75 mg pills} and I didn't want to start Cymbalta and run into a problem of not being not being able to get it from the free clinic as Cymbalta is more expensive than Effexor XR {which I found out is not going generic until next year}

I have an appt with my original dr next week, and I am praying she can put me on something to even out my moods that does not cost an arm & a leg.

Good luck to you.

7. thecatswhiskers

thecatswhiskers New Member

I had HORRIBLE reaction to Prozac too (never been so frightened in my life!) and a similar history to you CFS and a secondary (inherited) depression. Effexor has worked good for me .... withdrawal is a problem, even if you forget a dose, but I hope that by doing it REALLY slowly when I come off it won't be too bad.
    I've been on it 4 years.

Hope that helps as it's a positive one .... I am VERY sensitive to antidepressants too, I was DREADFUL on trazodone and other 'traditional' (prothiaden/ amitryptilline etc).
  8. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

on Effexor XR. I was on a relatively high dose at the time, too.

I had a very agitated depression and it really helped me.

Love and hugs.

9. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i have had CFS for over 15 yrs along with bipolar/depression. i started effexor many yrs ago when paxil stopped working for me.

i don't think the effexor is working but i am unable to get off of it, likely due to the heroin-like withdrawals.

of course, i stopped 300 mg cold turkey...which was dumb and unsafe.

i am still on 37.5 mg and whenever i try to ween off, i become suicidal. so i have no idea if the drug is working (doubtful IMO) or if the withdrawals are what causes the suidical ideation.

10. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

love it - been on since May 06 - has given me my life back.

less pain, no panic attacks, the only it hasn't helped me with is sleep.

I have gained about 15 lbs, but I decided I would rather be a chubby girl, than one who can't even get out of bed!!

Sue in Ontario