Experiences with SAMe?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

A lot of people here are considering trying the methylation cycle block protocol, and one of the components of that is SAMe.

I thus thought I'd ask if anyone has experiences with it, good or bad.

Rich van Koynenburg's recommendation is for 200 mg of SAMe along with the other supplements.

The only time I have taken SAMe prior to last week was about ten years ago. At the time, my manic-depression was only partially stabilized. The SAMe made me feel much worse (it often has a bad effect on people with bipolar) and so I stopped it almost right away.

My moderate problem with manic-depression has been under control with Lamictal for about eight years.

Still, I think it's possible that the 200 mg of SAMe I took last week contributed to my sleep problems. I have temporarily reduced the dose to 100 mg. So far so good, but I will see what happens and then try raising it again.

swedeboy mentioned on another thread that he was having problems of a different sort with 400 mg of SAMe, but that they seemed to be resolved when he decreased to 200 mg.

If anyone else has experiences with this stuff, please share. As supplements go, this is a pretty potent one, and so we should have as much information as possible before using it.

Thanks!

Best, Lisa

2. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I could not tolerate it, made me extremly nauseous. I tried taking it on an empty stomach and with a meal. No difference.

Shar
  3. dolphin67

dolphin67 New Member

SAMe has worked great for me. I take 400 mg/day, but split up. 200 in the morning before breakfast and another 200 mid-morning. It helped my depression alot and helped with my brain fog too. It does seem to give me more energy and I personally wouldn't take it at night. I think, like anything else, it works well for some of us and not at all for others.
  4. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

I started taking 400mg enteric coated SAM-e last week and it gave me terrible nausea, bloating, and stomach cramping. So I started taking 200mg enteric coated pills and I've had no problems so far. I'm on my third day so far. Although today I did experience some slight nausea and stomach discomfort for about 1 to 1.5 hours ironically just after I posted to LISA that I was having no problems with the 200mg, hehe.

I take it on an empty stomach about a half hour before breakfast. I wonder why it is reccomended to take it on an empty stomach. I have not noticed any problems with bipolar like episodes while on the SAM-e. I don't think I am exactly bipolar, however I can often get very hyper and excited and then feel very down shortly after.

Best of Luck to all who are going to try it!
  5. Febricula

Febricula New Member

I have tried SAM-e twice. The first time, nearly ten years ago, it triggered a serious depressive episode, and I stopped after a couple of days.

The second time, I was already much more emotionally balanced, and I was careful to taper up slowly. This time, SAM-e worked just as advertised. I have always had side effects from the antidepressants I tried, and SAM-e provides the same antidepressant effect without anorgasmia, aphasia, exhaustion, etc. I also believe that SAM-e is what keeps my fibromyalgia pain minimal. (My main CFS complaint is the fatigue/brain fog.)

I should add that later I added in Omega-3 and B12 injections, and each has also made a noticeable effect on my moods, so SAM-e isn't a cure-all. You also want to make sure you're getting enough vitamins, because SAM-e can raise homocysteine levels, which is a problem with CFS (I think).

Also, make sure to get good quality SAM-e in a blister pack.

Hope it works for you as well as it has for me!

-febricula
    [This Message was Edited on 03/12/2007]
  6. roge

roge Member

just to echo fabricula,

especially add b-vits and more b12 as ya sam-e raises homocystein (bad amino) and B12 counter acts this.

swedeboy - Sam-e is an amino and why would want to take on an empty stomach so as not to compete with other aminos..

can't comment further as i have not tried sam-e, i might in the future

peace
  7. Aelf

Aelf New Member

I'm starting the methylation protocol sometime this week (whenever the supplements arrive) and was wondering the same thing about SAM-e.

I will let you know if I have any adverse effects, although 200mg is supposed to be a relatively low dose.

I really hope this works...
  8. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I have tried it twice, years apart. Both times I took a small amount and felt weird and like I wasn't myself. But things that act on the brain don't usually agree with me, so it wasn't too surprising.

Both times the effect was bad enough that I didn't take a second dose. So if I do the methyl donor protocol, I will leave the SAM-e out.

Forebearance
  9. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Years ago, I used 200 mg. SAM-e per day for early onset OA, to good effect. Slight boost to the mood, that was OK. I used the SAMe for a couple yrs., but ended up stopping when I figured out I was getting headaches from it.

Fast forward to present: The knees are really bad. Let's try that SAMe again. Now, that very modest dose of 200 mg. has a sedating effect on me. Mild the first day, but by day 3, all I want to do is to sleep all day (with my much-improved knees).

I'd like to find a weird-bud. Have heard of people who struggle w/hypomania on SAM-e, but nobody else who gets sleepy. Note: I don't feel depressed (before or after I take the SAM-e). Just mellow & having trouble staying awake.

In the past few yrs., with the onset of fibro, my MCS symptoms have intensified. I'm guessing there's a metabolic glitch (or two) that's making mischief.

I've tried NOW brand 100 mg. SAMe, & do tolerate the lower dose better, however the effect on the OA is proportionately less. Also, the nonblister pkg tabs go soft really quick.

Best wishes.
  10. cct

cct Member

Hi Lisa,

I have tried Sam-e a couple of times. Even with the lowest dosage pill cut into little pieces, a little bitty piece was more than I could tolerate.

It made me very anxious and hyped-up. Even a little tiny piece made me feel like I had swallowed a few cups of strong coffee.

I might give Sam-E a try again someday because I am interested in the autism/cfs connection theory, but I will have to be very selective about the brand and the strength.
  11. Daisys

Daisys Member

I've been taking sam-e for years, and it's helpful with both joint pain and mood for me. I take up to 800mg in the winter and down to 400mg in the summer. I've never felt any side effects at all, whether taking it on an empty stomach or with food.

I did go for a cheap brand in the past, and could tell it was losing it's effect by the time I was thru the supply. I get Nature Made from Costco and it works fine.

Sorry it's not successful with other posters. For me, it's better than any AD I've been prescribed--no weight gain for one thing. It is, however, not covered by insurance, so is expensive (Story of my life with this illness!)
  12. galileo

galileo New Member

Lisa, you do get around! I have met Rich and he is a wonderful Christian man, I think alot of his stuff gets reposted all over the web!, I think he is right about alot of things, so yes SAME is wonderful. But not everybody is the same **(not a pun) , so you have to know what you are doing. Sorry I don't have the link, but you may want to look at a Dr. Yasko? and find her web pages, somebody on infection was saying he is now working with her on some of this? I will look for them too, as somebody posted alot about this, and they seem to do alot of tests to find out what your biochemistry is doing and what supplements to take. I have heard peopel taking Fola-pro, my Dr. big on Metagenix brand vitamins/supps but he sells them, but I don't mind, if it works! There is alot to this methylation cycle stuff, I do have some pharmacy class background so I can follow it and am thinking of getting these tests...so I will post the site if you are interested and if I can find it. I have also heard you really need to do these things in the right order? So you have to know where your specific blocks are in the cycle? I think I got her name right. but you can also email Rich, i am not sure if i have his email anymore but will check if you are interested. The tests are expensive from what I heard, then of course they want you to buy their brand of supplements!! But there is a way around that too! I would think if you google his name you would find all the boards he is on, and then get an email from there is one way to find out. He is very smart and I trust what he says. I answered you ?- my symptoms, but not fully...don't we get them all?? Unless you are a lymie?
    Serge
  13. galileo

galileo New Member

Lisa,

where is the protocol? I am interested to look at it.

Serge
  14. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

See the following threads, just bumped to the top of the board:

Methyl Block to Glutathione Usage (deliarose's recent progress)

by lisapetrison

Huge Improvement. Huge.

by deliarose

Cheney on Valcyte

by mcondon

(The methylation cycle block stuff is all the way at the end.)

Undenatured Whey and Immune System Discussion

by

Elisa

I started using the methyl block supplements about 10 days ago. You can read about my progress (if indeed I am making progress) on my threads:

Famvir Status Report Week Seventeen

and

Famvir Status Report Week Sixteen

Forebearance and a few other people are considering trying this soon too.

Best, Lisa

[This Message was Edited on 03/14/2007]