Experiences with Tilt Table Test and Results

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LongStruggle, Dec 17, 2006.

1. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

I had a tilt table test last week. The doctor was testing for POTS. I passed the test which means I don't have POTS. However, I had a very bad reaction to the tilt table test. When they stood me up I felt very dizzy, weak, and sick the entire time which seemed to go on forever. When they laid me back down, I felt like my head was lower than the rest of my body, but it wasn't. I felt very disoriented equilibriumwise. When the tech wanted me to sit up I didn't know if I could make it, but I was able to do so. When she wanted me to stand up, I couldn't. I was so dizzy, and weak, and very unstable. I had to hang onto nearby objects. What made matters worse is the tech is yelling at me to stand and yelling at me when I'm hanging on to objects that had wheels underneath. Yet, she offered me no stable objects or herself as an aid. She continued to yell at me to stand unsupported which I couldn't. After this went on for awhile she concluded that I needed a wheelchair but then had the chair too far away for me to get into. They then took me to the outpatient floor to a bed. Initially they were expecting me to get up and immediately leave on my own accord. The outpatient nurse was kind, thank goodness. She gave me some pop to drink and some food. I felt a little better, but not enough. I also had tingling in my feet, legs, and arms, but I wasn't hyperventilating. In fact, my pulse was as low as it usually is. It took about a good hour before I was fully recovered. Another interesting fact was I had a migraine that day. I had woken up with a headache and it had increased throughout the day. It was approaching migraine level right before the test. Immediately after the test was done my headache was completely gone. I don't know what to make of this -- do I have some neurological problem? My doctor's nurse offerred no explanation or help with this.

What have been other people's experiences with the tilt table test? What was the doctor testing for when he/she ordered it? What diagnoses have you received as a result of this test and what did they do for you?
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I had it done last year. I failed it. The heart and adrenals are suppose to compensate for tilt angle and keep your blood pressure up as you go upright (70° angle).

I was prescribed midodrine which is suppose to constrict the blood vessels slightly to bring up my BP. This constriction made me ICE cold. So, next I just take extra salt which seems to work.

If the cardiologist said that your heart was OK. Then let's take a look at your adrenal glands. They react to stress and bring up the BP and pulse rate as our body needs it. Mice, whose adrenals had been removed, DIED when expose to even mild stress. James Wilson N.D. has written a great book on this topic:
    "Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st-Century Stress Syndrome"

http://www.amazon.com/Adrenal-Fatigue-21st-Century-Stress-Syndrome/dp/1890572152/sr=1-1/qid=1166404143/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-8013530-8852662?ie=UTF8&s=books

Lots of rest, no caffiene, Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid) for starts.
  3. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

I do take a supplement for adrenal functioning, but I might need more. The doctor said that my results did not reveal POTS -- my brain and heart were in good communication with each other. Apparently my blood pressure did not vary that much. They said I didn't fail.

When you were tested, what were they looking for? [This Message was Edited on 12/17/2006]
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I got all kinds of tests, EKG, sonograms, carotid artery doppler shift, tilt and stress tests. I still complained, so they did a heart catheter, where they inject a dye into the bloodstream while I lay over a X-ray floroscope. There was a slight buildup but no blockages.

After I read that article about EBV and heart disorders, I then noticed that when I get a viral flareup, my heart flutters and pounds real weird. When I work or exercise, its OK, but when I rest, I feel it.

Sugar really makes it flare up. Viruses breathe sugar.
  5. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I read this yesterday but didn't respond, then early this morn I the thought occurred to me that maybe your dizziness is inner ear related.

I don't know what symptoms you had to promppt your doc to schedule the tilt table test but if it was dizziness, nausea and balance problems it could be that you could benefit from a ENT consult.

Just because your test didn't indicate a heart problem doesn't mean that your reaction was normal and I would make sure your doc looks into it.

Don't give up.

Shar
  6. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

Appreciate your thoughts, but I don't think I have an inner ear infection.

My problems have been heart related and feeling weak upon standing. It's more like a total lack of energy when I stand.

The d-ribose that I started Saturday appears to be helping with my heart, weakness, and overall lack of energy, but not completely. I'm hoping that the longer I'm on it, the more my heart symptoms and weakness will disappear.

Thanks again.
  7. cct

cct Member

LongStruggle,

You might want to do some research on Dysautonomia.

You may not have POTS specifically, but there are many conditions/symptoms that are related to dysautonomia. POTS is not the only diagnosis for dysautonomia.

The Cleveland Clinic specializes in dysautonomia, as does Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, the National Dysautonomia Research Foundation provides a lot of information, and the National Institute of Neurological Disorders also provides an information page on dysautonomia.