Expired Valcyte-safe to take?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ulala, Apr 24, 2009.

1. ulala

ulala New Member

I was prescribed Valcyte awhile and took it for awhile and then stopped. I have some that expired Feb. 2009 and some that expired 10/2008. Does anyone know if expired really means expired? I rememeber I had some expired Valtrex and a doctor told me not to throw it away.

Any help greatly appreciated!
  2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

personally, i would guess the medicine should be OK for a few months after expiry but i am not sure. if your insurance covers it, i would just get a new prescription. if not, i would take the old medicine for maybe 6 months after expiry....

maybe it would be worthwhile to ask a pharmacist or k. loomis at the HHV6 foundation:

3. ulala

ulala New Member

I took your advise and e-mailed K. Loomis. I probably won't hear back until next week. Good idea to ask a pharmacist. I think the Valcyte will be ok for several motths, but I will check with pharmacist and hopefully K. Loomis will answer my question next weel.

Thanks again!
  4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

yea..i would think it should be Ok for 6 months...but who knows....

krisin loomis should answer your email tomorrow! she is usually very quick.

5. 3gs

3gs New Member

If you store meds in a dry cool dark cupboard they will stay ok for years.

The potency can be affected and strength. However I still would ck with antibiotics.
  6. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i am not sure that they stay OK for years....there have been cases of people dying from using expired antiretroval AIDS drugs in 3rd world countries.....not sure how long the drugs had been expired, though.
  7. ulala

ulala New Member

Sue-K. Loomis did respond early this morning. Wow, I didn't expect such a quick response! She
    said she has no expertise on this subject so I guess I'll ask a pharmacist just to be sure. I think it's ok to take the Valcyte. If anything, it may not be as potent. As 3gs said you have to be more careful with antibiotics.

Thanks again!
    [This Message was Edited on 04/25/2009]
  8. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Can sometimes be harmful (not just not effective) so I'd be 100% sure on this one. A good example is Doxycycline. It can cause kidney damage if you take it after its expired. Ask a pharmacist, don't assume and hurt yourself.