Explaining CFIDS to Kids

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by adberens, Oct 7, 2008.

1. adberens

adberens New Member

I have recently move "home" to be near family. While it is hard for the adults to understand my illness; it is down right impossible for my grandkids and nieces and nephews.

Is there any place out there that gives pointers on how to explain to a 6 year old that although I look fine I am too sick to have her come over and play?

2. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I would just described briefly how you are impacted by your illness since kids need concrete concepts and diagnoses or talking about the adult description of the illness won't necessarily make sense to them.

For example, "I am sick with a certain illness that doesn't just go away like a cold. I'm tired a lot, and sometimes I hurt in different places in my body and I have to be really care and take care of myself so I don't feel worse."

They might ask if they could catch it, since they probably hear about germs a lot, and you can answer that however you see fit.

Pretty much just simple descriptions with basic words, that would be my thoughts.

I've described being sick a lot to kids I've worked with. That's about as in depth as it got.

Just my thoughts :)
  3. pro_photog1970

pro_photog1970 New Member

I have two kids and soon to have another little one on the way. The explanation that I give to my two young sons (one is 6, the other is 4) is that "Daddy has an illness, even though he doesn't look like it. It means that he is tired all the time, even if he does get any sleep. That's why he also takes medicine, because he's hurting all the time too."

And that was all it took for my sons not to bug me about going out and playing and if I did go out and play with them (a game of soccer (just basically kicking the ball around while they ran and kicked it back) or shooting hoops), it was a special time for bonding. As far as I know, they're really good kids because they seem to know when their dad isn't doing so well.

My oldest son says. "Daddy, you need a rest. Don't over-do it, daddy!" He's a good kid.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/07/2008]