Explaining FM to kids

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ayhatch, Feb 18, 2007.

1. ayhatch

ayhatch New Member

Has anyone found a book or a website that has a good, simple explaination of FM without being to vague. I don't just want to say Mom's body hurts all over.

Thanks!
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

ayhatch:

I would have told my child at a younger age. So,big deal: mommy hurts, but as long as i am alive you will not suffer from it.

I repeat this mantra day by day.

I wish you luck and happiness.

nyrofan
  3. bewell4

bewell4 New Member

i meant (mean) to ask the librarians for help. any books about explaining illness. my child is almost 5. my gut clenches and i feel violently ill just thinking about it. he already goes around saying "my head hurts" or "my leg hurts" d*&*!!!!! i can tell by the tone of his voice that he is just repeating what he hears. as much as i try not to list my symptoms in front of him....talking on the phone is the only relief i get, and he is simply around almost all of the time!!! i don't want him growing up feeling smothered or responsible, or becoming a hypochondriac (slight lol..i doubt that would really happen) for pete's sake!!!!!

my question is still: how do you deal with the pain of being a mother in chronic pain!!!??

long rant, no real answer, but this is a glimpse of my distress..hope it helps somehow!! (laughing at self here...i can see the ridiculous is this. at least i am still laughing!)

take care
  4. momof471

momof471 New Member

I just explained that mom had an illnes that makes me hurt and it can be in different places on different days and that I don't have enough energy to do a lot of running around. So we can do different things like reading, playing a game or watching a dvd or coloring. Things changed dramatically for me, my youngest had just turned 2, when I got hurt. Now my youngest is 5. She understands and my older ones are a tremendous help to me. Its hard not to feel the guilt of being the perfect mom, but then if it wasn't our physical limitations it would be something else. So my house isn't perfect, they are not in many activities, they do a couple of more chores, I do more than I would if I didn't have the girls. I hope from all of this they learn compassion and tolerance with others and that love is much bigger than a disability. The past couple of weeks have been hard on me, I think its the new medication, they understand when I have these rough periods and it will all work out.
  5. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Its hard to know what to tell them. My boys are now 15 and 11 and I have tried to explain it in many ways. My 15 year old knows that we are not believed by a lot of doctors and such and I was beginning to feel like maybe he felt that way too.

A few weeks ago however, a new study came on the news that said they found the mitachondria cells aren`t working in many people with chronic illnesses. I said again that is one of the big things we have wrong. Then he said he could understand then how we could have no energy.

My 11 year seemed to understand this better then anything else I tried to tell him. Now if he talks about my illness to other kids, he says my cells don`t make energy. They both seem facsinated by this and it seems to click with them.

Your son might be a little young yet but you could also simplify it by saying your body has a hard time making energy. So it makes you tired and hurt sometimes.

I think a person also has to reasure them that they won`t necessarily get it too. I have told mine that more women often get it then men.

[This Message was Edited on 02/19/2007]
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...we need some books on this like there are on other illnesses that people have.

Tomorrow, I am explaining Leukemia to kids at my elementary from kindergarten to sixth grade (we are doing a fundraiser and want the kids to understand what they are raising money for). I have also been researching a simple explanation young enough for 5-year-olds, as opposed to the complicated explanation I was given. It IS tough to find a simple way of explaining tough issues...

And FM's even harder with the varied symptoms and lack of understanding about why it happens. We do need some children's book writers to address this issue, like they do so many other things.

I've been contemplating trying to see if I could write a Leukemia book for little kids...and many more people have FM/CFS, so a book on this would have a wider audience. Look how members here have small children, or are considering starting a family, where the presence of FM/CFS for Mom or Dad would be a fact of life growing up.

Good topic.

Hugs,
    Pam
  7. natesmommie1

natesmommie1 New Member

I tell my son that i hurt,
    Bernadette