Explaining our pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrpain, May 7, 2006.

1. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I see on other post where people with fibro has different types of pain at different times of the day or week, on different parts of the body at different levels. This is a hard one to explain to a "normal", or an unsick person, including doctors and our own families...

How do ya'll put it in words and explain the pain. I know they call this a mysterious disease, but our pain is that way also. Even as I hear myself talking about this it sounds crazy, but unfortunately, it's an everyday reality for a lot of us....

My pain can ache all over. My pain can shoot stabbing sharp pain in the knees or elbows for example. And then there's a different type of pain in my neck, shoulders, and upper back and that's where the most severe pain lies. My legs can feel like there's a tight rubber band around it cutting off the circulation, so that's another different kind of pain. That's to just name some.

Do ya'll experience anything like this or is it just me and a couple of other posts I've read of people with the same experience?
  2. matthewson

matthewson New Member

because I just had that problem yesterday with a co-worker. I was in terrible pain all day, but it was different from my normal pain. It was hip and joint pain- that achy pain that ratchets up to a level that you can't ingnore.

I was complaining about it and my co=worker said, but I thought you said your pain was more of a burning sensation. I said, yes, it usually is, but I do get other types of pain too. She then went on to say, well my hips and joints hurt too! I just walked away, because you just can't explain this to people when the type of pain changes from day to day! They look at you like you are nuts and faking it!

I usually get along pretty well with this person, but yesterday she ticked me off! I don't complain a lot about my pain at work, but if it is at a high level, I sometimes do. I mean you can see it on my face anyway!

Oh, well. My theory is that you can't understand this unless you have it, and no amount of explaining is ever going to change that.

Thanks for the post. Sally
  3. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

say, fine. They really do not want to know. But we understand. If I try to explain it, I just say, I have pain all over my body 24/7. Yes, it moves around and different pain levels in different areas but thats what I say

Suzette
  4. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

...that "on a good day, I feel like 'you' (meaning the healthy person) do when you have the flu. Achy, fatigued, etc. That's a good day for me. So you can imagine what a bad day is like!"

God Bless.
  5. srh

srh New Member

that is it exactly. But they still don't understand. or maybe don't care.

And look at all the people that call in sick when they have the "flu". We live with it everyday!
  6. mrpain

mrpain New Member

A good day for us, would be a nightmare for the "normals"..

7. jake123

jake123 New Member

Sometimes it aches, sometimes it is just tight like I can't extend my leg or something. My coworkers believe that I can predict rain storms though!
    For some reason my hips have improved over the past month. They hurt so bad for the past year. Now it's back to my hands, upper arms and shoulders. Good grief!