Explaining What FMS feels like

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by book629, Jan 29, 2008.

1. book629

book629 New Member

Sometimes people ask me to explain what FMS feels like, and I was wondering what you say, because I never feel like I can get it right. I don't want to exaggerate, I want them to try to visualize it. Generally I say something like it feels like you have little electrodes attached to all your nerve endings, and they are constantly going off; in addition you have an all-over body ache that feels like your whole body has been deeply bruised, and on top of that you can feel it burning. Not to mention you are so tired you just can't find the energy to do anything.
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I always liken it to working a 36 hour shift, on your feet the entire time, then try living your life that way. All day, every day....

3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

there are a couple of ways I describe it.
    One I say the pain is so bad sometimes that all I can do is lay in bed and cry. Not many "normal" people do that.
    Sometimes the muscles in my legs feel like someone is giving me an Indian burn from the inside. Remember when you were a kid and you used to give each other indian burn on your arms? Where you'd twist the skin on your forearm? If you're young, you wouldnt remember. LOL
    The other - I described here recently...
    I'm being tortured - I'm being beaten with a steel pipe - all of my bones, repeatedly...made to run in place, screamed at the raise my legs higher and higher, I'm exhausted, can't go on much longer..can't. don't know when it's going to stop. When it does stop for a moment (pain meds) I am still hurting from the "beating" and still tired from the rigorous exercise, I don't know when my torturers are going to make me start running again and when they're going to start beating me again. It's just a matter of time.
    Of course, I don't go into this long drawn out analogy with most people.
    Sometimes I say, it's like when you have the flu and you ache so bad that you want to lay in bed with lots of covers and just sleep to get away from the aches and pains, that just taking a shower is tiring when you hurt so badly. That it's not just being tired, but more like sheer exhaustion.
    It's funny because I am so used to the normal aches. When I was tired I always ached and really thought everyone else did too. Thought that came with being tired. It wasn't until I was in my thirties did I realize that others did not feel the same way.
  4. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

a few years ago I was trying to answer someone who asked me how I felt. The best answer I could come up with was that I felt like I was beaten up from the inside out. I think it's basically accurate since that's the way I feel most days.