Extended Release Tramadol.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Jan 1, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Does anyone take the extended release Tramadol. I take one hundred mg. three times a day when needed and lately I have been at the highest dose.

I have been having breakthrough pain about an hour before my next dose and am wondering if the extended release would help.

The only thing is I do not always take this dose and it is hard to tell when I get up if I would need the extended release or my regular dosage.

I do not want to take more Tramadol than I need. Tramadol has been very effective and narcotics do not help. It is just this breakthrough pain.

I want to stay on Tramadol but need other's input on their experience and if they have had to change to the extended release or were originally put on this.

Thanks in advance.
  2. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Hi Gap--
    Yes, I've taken this. The extended release still didn't cover breakthrough pain for me, and the med left me spacy and sleepy. It did work well for those times I didn't have the extra pain. My pain doctor weaned me off tramadol (ultracet worked best for me) some months ago and although I will most likely go back on it at my next visit, I hope I don't get the drowsiness back. I've taken all three forms off and on for 10 years and find it a helpful med. for me most of the time.
    I think it might be worth trying it!
  3. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

Hi Gap,
    I take 50 mg tram 4 times a day. and like you im finding im having breakthrough pain. my cousin just got put on extended release, and she swears by it. she takes one in the morning and she does really well with her pain. so on my next visit the end of the month, im gonna ask doc to switch. only thing is it's more expensive than just reg tramadol, but hey if it works it's worth it!!!
  4. 3sa

3sa New Member

I was given samples of the extended release , and I loved it. I always forget to take my meds on time, and end up in pain. Unfortunately,the cost was insane. I don't have insurance and could not afford the ER brand. If you can afford it I would recommend it.
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am planning on calling my doctor tomorrow is she is in and asking her about this.

I did not think of samples and will see if she has some.

I also have a hard time remembering when I had last taken it.You would think I would just write it down, but you know how this DD goes.

Again thanks.

6. tig519

tig519 Member

My doctor gave me samples of the extended release, and a script for the generic (non extended release). Because I actually only take it for breakthrough pain, the non extended release works well. My doctor thought this may be the case, but left it up to me. I tried the extended release and didn't feel that it worked well for me. Instead I take 1 or 2 (50mg) pills of the . Sometimes I'll take another 5-6hrs later, depends on what I'm doing or the weather. I tend to know when its a worse day than others. I don't take it every day, like I said, only for breakthrough pain.
  7. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I do not take Tramadol but I do take Oxycontin ER. My only concern for people thinking about switching to the ER version is that usually you have to keep taking it. It's not something you can just take one day and not the next, it's usually something that you need to take on a regular basis and keep taking it, it is not to be used "as needed" like the short release ones can.
    So if you didn't want to take it all the time then it probably isn't the med for you.

If you are only getting breakthrough pain 1 hour before your next dose then just talk to your doc about taking the next dose early for those cases.
  8. spacee

spacee Member

Might consider using tylenol with your tramadol if you are having breakthrough. It potentiates the effectiveness of the tramadol and won't cost you as much.

9. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

do you think Ibuprophen would do the same as the tylenol?? just wondering, as the ibuprophen does better for me than Tylenol, i take tramadol 4 times a day and do have some breakthrough at times. thanks, Kat
  10. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I was finally put on extended release meds (Oxycontin) after much resistance on my part. Boy, what a difference it can make in pain control!
    However, I disagree with having to take it all the time. It might be better to have in your system all the time, but there are days that the shorter acting meds are sufficient for me or I only need one dose as opposed to three times a day of the longer acting.

I would certainly ask about it.- if they don't work for you, then you stop. Most doctors will tell you that the problem with the shorter acting meds is just what you described. They wear off and you're left with terrible pain. The longer acting meds relieve those peaks and valleys.
  11. singingirl

singingirl New Member

I have been on the generic of Tramadol (Ultram ER) for about 3 months now, and I have noticed a huge difference. I don't remember if it made me drowsy in the beginning or not, I really don't think so. I take it in the morning with my first dose of Lyrica. I really like it.