extra liquids triggering low blood sugar symptoms ??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sick~kitty, Nov 17, 2008.

1. sick~kitty

sick~kitty New Member

I recently read some of the posts here on the board about diabetes insipidus (aka water diabetes), and did some further reading on the web. Nice to know there's a reason I'm always thirsty. Today I've been very conscious of drinking a lot of fluids. One result was that I had a very bad low blood sugar attack only 2 hours after lunch. I usually can go at least three hours before noticing any symptoms, let alone the bad ones.

Is there any reason drinking extra water and decaf tea should deplete blood sugar more rapidly? When the kidneys pull water from the body, do they also remove any sugar?
  2. dannybex

dannybex Member

It could be diabetes insipidus, but also could be due to weakened or exhausted adrenal glands or function, among other possibilities. If your adrenals are stressed out, then you may have a difficult time retaining water (because the adrenal hormones help control sodium/potassium balance).

When you drink more water, I don't know if you lose sugar, but you may lose minerals, including sodium, especially if your adrenals are weak. That's why many suggest adding a tiny bit of salt (some prefer sea salt) to their drinking water.

Sometimes doing just that simple thing can make a huge difference.

Just my two cents! :)

3. sick~kitty

sick~kitty New Member

I know the multi I take has some minerals in it, but I'll look and see if I should include more. Unfortunately I can't take more salt these days, as it does raise my blood pressure. Or I guess I should say I can't take a *lot of salt these days. A tiny pinch might not make a difference.

For years I had fairly low BP, along with POTS. Now the POTS is pretty much gone, and my BP is too high.

I have an appt with an endocrinologist in a month. I guess I'll ask him to take a look at the adrenal functioning as well.
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

I went thru a spell of diabetes insipidous in about the 3rd year of my ME/CFIDS. I had to use some nose drops for a short while, and I had to use just a tiny amount of the recommended dosage.

The symptoms passed within a couple of weeks, and I've not had it since. During that time, I was drinking about a gallon of water a day, I was so so thirsty.

It may be adrenals, it would be good if you had that checked out. I also think it is part and parcel of the malfunctioning hypothalamus, pituitary, adrenal axis in our brains that may not be sending the appropriate signals (or none at all) to the glands that operate so many systems in our bodies.

I hope you find the answers to your symptoms, and get it straightened out real soon!

5. sick~kitty

sick~kitty New Member

With any luck, the endocrinologist will take a deeper look.

I've had the DI symptoms for about 20 years, and just thought it was something I had to live with. I'd no idea it had a name, or that it was common to PWC.

Do you know if the treatment normally clears it up so quickly?