Extra-virgin olive oil is an anti-inflammatory

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tansy, Sep 1, 2005.

1. tansy

tansy New Member

Extra-virgin olive oil anti-inflammatory-scientists Wed Aug 31, 1:11 PM ET Reuters

Scientists have just found out what gourmets have always known -- that there is something special about fresh extra-virgin olive oil.

A tasting experience at a molecular gastronomy meeting in Sicily led University of Pennsylvania biologist Gary Beauchamp to analyze freshly pressed extra-virgin olive oil, in which he found a chemical that acted like ibuprofen.

He and his team named their discovery oleocanthal and found that, although it has a different chemistry, its effect is similar to that of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory compound in the commercial pain-killer, they wrote in the science journal Nature.

The discovery is significant because scientists believe to an increasing extent that inflammation plays an important part in a variety of chronic diseases like stroke, heart disease, and breast and lung cancer.

"Our findings raise the possibility that long-term consumption of oleocanthal may help to protect against some diseases," they wrote.

It may also go some way to explaining the health benefits long attributed to the olive-oil rich Mediterranean diet.

[This Message was Edited on 09/01/2005]
  2. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I had no idea!! I've always heard that olive oil is good for you, but I didn't know it was that good.

I'm going to the store right now. Maybe I'll take a bath in it, too!!

Thanks!! abbylee
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

My chiropractor told me that all Omega-3 oils are anti-inflammatory. I don’t know if there is any ‘scientific’ evidence for this or if it is due to oleocanthal, but there must be good anecdotal evidence for it. He recommended fish oil or flax oil for arthritis.
  4. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I just heard on the news today that if a person takes a couple teaspoons of olive oil when they have a headache, that the person will have the same relief as taking Motrin but with good side effects. After I heard that, I thought that I'd try it if need be.

Olive oil is great for everything! Skin, hair, our insides, etc. etc. I always keep the extra virgin olive oil close by, and have a small dark bottle in the bathroom to use for baths and skin care.

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  5. mjgkennedy

mjgkennedy New Member

I have known about the benifits of Virgin Olive Oil for quite a while.

I posted before on the Arthritis Board and on this one to rub it into your wrists and hands, feet, neck and I also use it at night on my face as I suffer from dry skin.

I was having bad pain in my second and third fingers and rubbed it into them every night and it cured them.

Thanks again for reminding people how good it is.

Thanks also for your very good posts as I and I'm sure a lot of others have found a great help.

Hope your health isnt too bad.

Mary
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

has been an important part of my protocol, I have extensive inflammation and arthritis, including in my spine. Fish oil also provides the EFAs that have helped with other things as well including brain symptoms.

I tried flax seed oil but later realised it was aggravating my gastritis, the ground seeds also trigger IBS symptoms, so fish oil is the better option for me. The EFAs in flax oil require conversion within the body, so I think that’s why many of us do better when we use fish oil as our source of omega 3s.

Jeannete

I had not thought of taking olive oil for headaches, thanks for that additional info, it just goes to show how important resources like this are because we get the opportunity to share what we learn and our experiences.

Mary

Products based on fats are absorbed through the skin, and this option is often recommended when people have problems taking oil based products orally. I knew about olive oil for skin care but had not thought to use it for the joint pain in my wrists and fingers. Thanks I shall be trying this out tonight.

Abbeylee

I love simple, affordable, and safe alternatives like this that everyone can benefit from.

Love, Tansy
  7. davebhoy

davebhoy New Member

good to know, except i am intolernat of extra virgin olive oil, darn it!
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

My chiropractor preferred fish oil to flax seed oil as well - for his human patients. We were discussing my arthritic pony, which is probably why he also mentioned flax seed oil.
  9. mjgkennedy

mjgkennedy New Member

I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil with a few drops of Lavender Oil and rub it into my face and neck and shoulders.

I use it just before going to bed and lie on my back for a while so it absorbs properly.

I also get an Indian Head Massage which is great for any headaches, sore shoulders and neck.

It is Oils with Lavender Oil and other oils mixed together.

It also helps with my TMJ disorder, Arthritis, and Neuralga.

My face has been very sore this past week so I am going to have one on Monday morning.

Hope you get relief soon as I know what you are going through.

Mary
  10. tansy

tansy New Member

that one man’s meat is another man’s poison. Some of my food intolerances are inherited (gluten, dairy), so relatives cannot eat them either or have to keep their intake low. It’s always frustrating to learn of safe and affordable options when we know we cannot try them because they don’t suit us.

dlsgroovymom – I think the same applies to most plant/food sources, however I am sure even stored olive oil still has many of these benefits as some of the replies on this post demonstrate.

Sharon – I do think we should take notice of any cravings or food preferences. Some of them provide a fix of some kind, especially when problems like candida and hypoglycaemia are present; two other examples are cheese and chocolate. The desire for certain foods can be related to the body needing an increase in certain nutrients, salty foods are another example of this.

Tansy
  11. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I'm curious. What form do u take yr salt in?
    Cheers
    Delia
  12. tansy

tansy New Member

balanced electrolytes as used in the Blasi protocol. I need the correct ratios of potassium and salt these days.

Having always had a low BP before I was ill, I always preferred savoury and salty foods. My sister and her daughter have to use electrolytes when it's hot or they are physically active.

love, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 09/05/2005]