"Extreme Home Makeover" in AK is on tonight

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by alaska3355, Sep 23, 2006.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I'm interested because I used to live there and it isn't far from where my daughter lives! In fact, she may be on the show as an onlooker. Should be fun!
  2. keke466

keke466 New Member

I love that show. Never miss it. It would be fun to see your own daughter on tv,wouldn't it.

Happy watching.Keke
  3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

We watched and it was fun because it looked so familiar. But we didn't see our daughter in any crowd scenes....rats! But the family did deserve a nice house and they got one.
  4. I watched most of the show, but missed the beginning. Were all those kids the blonde mothers children? and where was the father? The house was fantastic they built for them.
  5. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

I also missed the beginning. I saw that there was a black man with his 3 kids that do not seem to be related to the mom. I think that they said he has kidney failure. What about the other kids? Where did they come from? It was very clear that they loved each other.

I like this show a great deal...but was surprised that there were not many "gifts" for the family. Usually, they get a new car...or money to be able to live in the larger house...or even scholarships for the kids? Is it because it was so remote?

Just curious

Ingrid
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi
    I Love this Show!! They really do Help People who truley Need a New Home and a Hand up in life!! It's so Cool! The Mom said that Her Husband Left them all and moved to Idaho!

The Boys really will Love the Football feild and the training Gym! It will be the Hot spot in the Neighborhood!!...................................s
  7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

It's a sad story. The husband, Michael Rogers, is black and he left the family (I don't know the whole story) and now lives in Idaho. I used to see him on TV, as he was/is a TV and radio announcer. So she's had all this to take on herself- her own 8 kids, plus her sick (adopted) brother and his kids. I admired their love of life and respect for each other.

To Ingrid, my daughter's name (who lives near this family) is also Ingrid, so I love that name! I think they didn't give as many prizes because the construction would have been more costly than they were used to....Alaska prices. Plus travel expenses for the crew, family to Disneyland, etc.

It will be interesting to see where the show goes next.... Terri
  8. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Terri:

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to write back with all that info. I love the show, and find myself in tears just about every week...even when it is a repeat.

That is some story...and understand abou the additional costs to pull this off in Alaska, but I was really hoping that there would be more surprises for the family. Hopefully, someone will see the show and perhaps make someone's dream come true. Can the family afford to live in the house? Just curious. Is there a fund set up for them? I would love to make a small donation.

Glad you like the name Ingrid. I hated it all my life. My full name is Ingrid Kirschbaum. I am not from Germany. I am from New York City, and I grew up in Connecticut and Southern California. I had to spell my first and last name throughout my life...I had to answer questions about how long I have lived in the US, and why I do not have a german accent, etc. Gets old. Only time that I really felt at home was in Wisconsin, where I went to college. No one asked me how to spell either name...and some people even spoke German to me.

It is a nice name, different. I grew up knowing only one other Ingrid...and that was Ingrid Bergman. Now there are more Ingrids, but still it is not a common name.

Thanks again.

Ingrid
  9. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I wrote tech support and asked if I could give out an address to send a donation...we'll wait and see what they say (about the Rogers family). I'll post on this thread again. Terri
  10. I was wondering also as I have heard some of these people can't afford to live in the big houses after they give them to them. I mean taxes, electricity, heat, etc. Thanks for telling us the beginning of the show since I missed it.
  11. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

the donation info, but you can contact ABC about donating, if you wish. Terri