extreme irritability cymbalta? flexeril withdrawal?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hot-tubgirl, Apr 26, 2006.

1. hot-tubgirl

hot-tubgirl New Member

have any of you experienced severe irritability from either cymbalta or from stopping flexeril? i started taking cymbalta almost a month ago. About 5 days ago I decided to stop taking flexeril as i think it contributes to my inability to lose weight as well as blurry vision. but i have become so irritable in the past week, that i feel like ripping people's heads off. the only info i could find about withdrawing from flexeril was headaches, nausea and "discomfort: - whatever that means. h-girl
  2. myhiphurts

myhiphurts New Member

My rheumy tried me on cymbalta for a month and I got extremely irritable, snappy and a road-rage maniac. Once I stopped it I was back to my old self in about 2 weeks. It was definitely not a good experience for me at all.

I know others that havent had any trouble with it and it helped their pain level too which is normal for fibro. What works for one sure won't work for all.

Good luck...sorry if this seems a little goofy tonight, my sleeping pills are kicking in!
  3. kbak

kbak Member

Flexeril is not supposed to be stop suddenly if you've taken it for more than a week. You will have withdrwal problems. You will need to slowly wean off flexeril.

Flexeril
    Cyclobenzaprine (sye kloe BEN za preen)

What is the most important information I should know about Flexeril?
    • Do not stop taking Flexeril suddenly if you have been taking it regularly for more than 1 week. This may cause nausea, headache and general discomfort.
    • Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while you are taking Flexeril.

K.

4. jengus

jengus New Member

I have been on Cymbalta (60 mg) for over a year now - it does help with my depression better than any of the other antidepressants I've taken with fewer side effects. Can't say that it has helped with pain as I had hoped that it would. I have tried 90 mgs. for month or two when I thought the depression was coming back, but didn't notice much difference.
    I have been on Flexeril at night since I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia at Georgetown University in D.C. many years ago. Have taken as much as four 10 mgs. a day - down to two mgs in last year. Decided about week ago to go down to one 10 mg. at bedtime (been taking two Magnesium (250) at bedtime and that worked for month or so) so I cut the Flexeril to one because I think it's a lot like Elavil in making me grave sweets!! Not sleeping since I cut Flexeril down to one. I have been very irritable with only one Flexeril and my pain is bad.
    One of my doctors mentioned that I might try Lyrica (never got very high with that, but I slept great!! I think it was causing a lot of edema in my ankles was reason I stopped. Sure helps everything when I can sleep!!
    jengus
  5. hot-tubgirl

hot-tubgirl New Member

thank you all 4 for responding. Drugs are fascinating. HOw the same drugs effect everyone differently is so interesting. I had never heard of bipolar 3 despite being in the mental health field myself. My brother suffers severe depression and once had a medication induced manic episode. so - i still don't know if the irritability is from the cymbalta or stopping flexeril. i did take a half of a flexeril last night as i was desparate for sleep and had a pounding headache. but i still feel mean as a snake today. If this doesn't get better soon, i'll talk to my doc. I did not experience irritability with effexor or any other ssri i've taken. my job is stressful and draining. It's not a good idea for me to be this irritable trying to deal with it. anyone know if there are other muscle relaxers that don't have as many side effects as flexeril? h-t girl

[ advertisement ]