extreme twitches , muscle spasms, contractions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnneTheresa, May 31, 2006.

1. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I've experienced muscle twitches and spasms to varying degrees for as long as I've had fibromyalgia but this latest bout is over the top.

My legs are the worse of it, muscles jumping, very visible, legs flailing, jumping from one position to the next almost non-stop. This kept me awake all last night and effects me every time I sit or lay down.

I use many meds, painkillers, anti-d's, sleep aids, magnesium etc. with no easing of this particular symptom. Any advice or a better understanding of this symptom would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Anne Theresa
  2. twitcher

twitcher New Member

I'm sorry I have no advice to offer as I have the same thing and don't know what to do about it. Just want you to know I know what you're going through.
  3. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Two years ago my muscles started jumping around. Mine was caused by aspartame. Now my shoulders will twitch every now and then if I don't have my exhaust fans and air purifiers on. I think formaldehyde causes it.
  4. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Do you RLS, restless legs syndrome? I don't have it but some of your symptoms sound like this.

Laura
  5. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

I have the same problem, but not as severe as you. I am sorry you are going thru this as when it happens to me at work I am so embarrased.

I know if I skip a day of my pain med's the twitches become worse.

Right now the Dr. and I are lowering my pain dosage and my twitches are getting worse, but I am trying very hard to stick it out

Let us know how you make out.

God Bless,
    cin
  6. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Especially when I start to fall asleep. I've actually had this for years, and never realized it was an FM symptom. It sounds like yours is a little more severe than mine.

Have you heard of Requip? I haven't personally taken it, but it is a medication for restless leg syndrome. There is also Klonopin and Restoril (I think). My dh deals with sleep disorders, so I will ask him if there are any others.

I pray you get some relief soon.

Julie
  7. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Thanks for responding and for your kind words of support. The last time I brought this issue to my doctor, he increased my pain meds. The pain meds help with the accompanying pain but do nothing in terms of relieving the muscles jumps.

I guess it's just one more thing to learn to live with and hopefully the spasms won't always be this intense. God bless, Anne Theresa