Eye Doc says fibromyalgia has affected my eyes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by petesdragon, Jan 21, 2007.

1. petesdragon

petesdragon New Member

My eye doctor says that FM is breaking down the fat in my eyes causing a condition known as keratoconjunctivitis sicca or dry eye disease.

He says the eye is covered by a layer of fat, a layer of water and a layer of oil. FM breaks down the fat and causes the eye to burn, sting, feel like there is something like sand in the eye and waking with a lot of matter in the eye in the morning. He gave me a couple of over-the-counter meds, drops and a gel to use at night. Says if that doesn't help he'll prescibe Restasis.

Sad to say I was more excited about him actualy knowing about FM. I have spent over 12 years fighting this DD and everyone saying it was all in my head and he KNEW about FM.

This board and books and articles are making a difference. There will come a time when people will say yes, I know about that.
  2. schaken

schaken New Member

Haven't had my eyes checked in 3 years. My insurance covers the exam but not the glasses.

My lenses (last time) were over 300 dollars. I have all of the above that your Doc mentioned.

Glad to hear that you got someone that knows about this DD.

Leslie
  3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i also have dry eyes the muscles in my face become tight and cut off something in my eyes to make them dry i recently has flashes of light the dr said i have pressure on my retina and need to watch for changes because it can tear easier charlene
  4. enjoysue

enjoysue New Member

I have such dry eyes too and so much so that I squint just due to that. I did buy some eye drops but I've only used them once. I do need to get to the eye doctor, I think it's been 3-4 years but I plan to yet this winter.
  5. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I use Bausch and Lomb "Moisture Eyes PM" and just rub around your eye lids! That helps me. All the other drops makes mine worse! I went to the DR and she gave me a prescription for "Restasis" but I haven't got it filled yet. We are having a snow storm here LOL After that I'll get to the drugstore and get it filled. I'll let you know if it helps or not.
    I have dry eyes really bad,and I'm hoping this helps.
    Hugs Shirley
  6. dr32164

dr32164 New Member

out that it is really Sjogren's disease that is causing it. Previously (for 18 years), I had always seen Optometrists and not Opthamologists. As a result, I got the wrong diagnosis. I was told that my dry eye and blurriness was caused by Fibromyalgia. Not true. It is caused by Sjogren's instead. Please make sure you get the correct diagnosis. I question what you have been told, as I had been told the same thing and found out years later, that the initial diagnosis was wrong. I was put on Restasis and Alrex (both are steriod drops). The improvement have been amazing. I hope you find improvement as well. Good luck and best wishes to you.
    Darlene
  7. yetismommy

yetismommy New Member

Your message caught my attention because I have been having a terrible time with dry eyes over the past several months, it's been getting increasingly worse. I take a decongestant and antihistimine regularly and thought that those meds were probably causing the dry eye. I also use allergy eye drops called Patinol. this problem is really becoming bothersome, but I have not discussed it with my doctor or opthamologist - now, I will. thanks for mentioning it.
  8. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I have to agree with the posters who have suggested you see an opthamologist and not stop at an optometrist's opinion. There are many autoimmune disorders, such as Sjogren's, which several posters and I have been found to have. The eye pproblem you have been told you have is the exact dx. given to Sjogren's patients.

I apologize and am not trying to frighten you. But I would make an appt. with an opthomologist as soon as I could. There are several tests an opth. can do, such as the Rose Bengal test, which checks for inflammation in the corneas, the Schirmer's test, which checks for moisture, or lack thereof, as well as the Slit-lamp exam, which examines any effects to the surface of the eye due to dryness.

Lab work can be done by your rheumatologist for further evaluation but according to mine, the bloodwork only comes back positive for the antibody 65% of the time anyway. So he began treatment on me due to symptoms, swollen lymph nodes, pain in joints, dryness in mouth, nasal area, ears, etc. Please do mention this to your rheumie and see how he/she reacts to doing some bloodwork on you. And please keep us posted as to how you are doing.
  9. jarjar

jarjar New Member

Please get an Igenex Western blot taken for lyme. Eye problems are caused by coinfections getting into the eyes.
    A was misdiagnosed for agees and never dreamed I would have lyme. It did eventually move into my eye.

Thankfully I'm on the Marshall Protocol and many of the members that have been on it for longer periods have said there eye problems have cleared up.

Igenex is the most reliable test as most others miss 50% of lyme cases.

10. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

This has just stated happening to me. I looked up symptoms and am now worried I have Sjogren's as my mouth burns it is so dry and my eye blur and feel like I have sand in them. You should go in and get tested.

For those of you with Sjogren's who tests you? Your GP or your eye doc, dentist? Thanks
  11. nightngale

nightngale New Member

Odd that this should just pop up cause I started having problems with my eyes this spring, first conguntivitis, then sent to eye doc and told I had chronic conguntivitis, dry eye never even thought of? Kept on and on I finally bought some OTC drops for dry eye and am waking up with gritty feeling, and gunky eyes. I have an eye appt. first and then new rheumy appt this month into next. If I have dry eye, how do they know to even check for Sjogrens? I'm wondering about that too.