Eye Pain associated with Fibromyalgia???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, Dec 30, 2008.

1. loto

loto Member

Wondering if anyone has eye pain who also has FM? I have chronic off/on eye pain in my left eye. Eye doctor had done thorough exam and dilation twice and can't find anything wrong except for mild iritis. He told me at my last visit if I have it again, that I should get bloodwork and other tests done to see if other parts of my body have anything wrong! At the time of the visit, I didn't have time or even think to ask what it could be linked to. So, the pain comes and goes almost daily. Next week I'm seeing my Primary doctor for stomach issues, and will hopefully remember to mention my eye. But, I'm just wondering if anyone else with FM has experienced this also?????
    Please let me know!
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I have FM and also have eye issues. In my case it's dry eyes and extreme light sensitivity (lights at night, particularly if driving, are blindingly bright and feel like stabbing in my eyes).

It doesn't sound like you have those exactly. I'm wondering if the pain you feel is an ache, a stabbing pain, or more like a muscular pain (maybe with moving the eyes?)

As you know, FM has a lot of muscular involvement, and I wonder if it could be something in the way it's affecting the muscles in or around your eyes.

Hopefully someone else here will have more experience with this and be able to help more.

Best wishes,
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

I have these issuses too. Plus blurry vision or double.
    Had a doc tell me today thats not possible. Fibro and cfs don't do that.
    Told me a lot of bs.

hope it gets better
  4. CAM57

CAM57 New Member

to check you for Anklylosing spondilitis. This is one of the major signs of this disease.
  5. kel78

kel78 Member

You didn't specify what kind of eye pain you're having - muscular or irritation/burning of the eye?

I experience both. In fact, the irritation/burning has been so bad and so constant that I haven't been able to wear my contacts since the end of August. It feels like I have chronic conjunctivitis or something. I've been wondering if I need to try Restasis or something for dry eye. I was using an OTC allergy eye drops, but recently switched to an OTC dry-eye drops. No improvement yet, but I probably haven't been using the drops as often as I should.

I miss wearing my contacts because wearing glasses causes pain as they press on tender points on either side of my head.

6. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I have eye pain but when I took tompax it increased look up the side effects of your meds. Bobbycat
  7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Eye/vision problems are included in the symptom list for lyme disease...blurry vision,double vision, floaters..etc. I have done alot of lyme research lately and almost all of the symptoms overlap with FM, CFS, MS etc.

I think I would want to make sure the Dr has ruled out any more serious problems also. Has anyone suggested a CT scan? Perhaps you can ask your primary Dr about it. It seems like Dr's only check for things within their own specialty and don't think outside of that box.
  8. loto

loto Member

My eye pain is only in my left eye, and it seems to only occur when i move my eye. at one time it was a stabbing pain, but now is only an ache. I have had a cat scan of my brain, and do have a small cyst in the ldft sinus cavity. Eye doctor and primary doctor didn't seem to think the sinus cyst was a big deal. I also have floaters and have trouble driving at night with glare from headlights. Thanks for all the replies, I will ask my Primary doctor next week to do additional blood work!!
  9. Lisa_D

Lisa_D New Member

I too have eye pain and blurriness problems at times. The doctor has been suspecting fibromyalgia. Whatever I have has always seemed more of an infection. The blurriness affects my eyes ability to focus and lessened acuity in bright light, darkness. Night-driving is a challenge--reading roadsigns at night is difficult for me.

I wonder about Lyme Disease. I've read that many are diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome and fibomyalgia. Also wonder about other conditions, such as Ankylosing spondylitis, though sed rate tests have not shown inflammation.

Weakness, achy joints, burning muscles, physical and mental fatigue, among other symptoms---one strangely being a breakout of lumpy pimples on the back of may head in my hairline. When you have theses issues, it's hard to know what symptoms are related, or not.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Write down all the questions on a small pad. Take out your pen and cross them off one by one as you discuss them with the doc. We get too distracted when we see docs and often forget to ask the most important questions. If I don't use this method, I forget half of what I wanted to ask.

Love, Mikie