Eye problems..Really freaked out

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mistyd96, Dec 18, 2006.

1. mistyd96

mistyd96 New Member

I want to get any advice I can. Let me say I do have a doc appt on Wednesday, but in the meantime I come to you.

Last Wed. I was sitting in class when all of the sudden my left eye began to feel wierd. It felt like it was to big for the socket, and my right eye felt too small. I had a lot of pressure around the eye, and my vision went kind of funky.

At break I went in to the bathroom to look at it, and ,y left ete was dilated much more than the right. I also stumbled a couple of times.

It is now Monday, and the pressure is still there, still funky vision, and the left pupil is still larger. Last night at a review class my teach shines a light in my eyes to check pupil response. Right eye constricted as it should. Left eye DILATED!!!!

I am scared right now, and it is really hard to have to wait until Wed. And I can only go to my PCP. Then he can refer me to an opthamalogist. Does anyone have any ideas? No trauma to the head involved.

Thanks!

Misty
  2. ulala

ulala New Member

and went to an emergency room. I see that you haven't replied so hopefully you are there now. Pressure could mean glaucoma and that is dangerour if left untreated.

Please keep us posted and best wishes!!
  3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Tell your regular doc's RN of your symptoms and ask for an "emergency referral" to the opthamologist. You can call after hours too. There is always a doctor "on call" in the group.

Some pupil stuff to research:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pupil
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Gunn_pupil
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_examination

Let the opthamologist know what viruses you have along with FM. Cytomegalo virus shows up in the retina of the eye.

A stroke to the brainstem could also cause this. Do you have any other symptoms?
  4. lease79

lease79 New Member

But I would be driving myself straight to the closest ER to be checked out.
    Really hope that it's nothing serious.
  5. mistyd96

mistyd96 New Member

I am going to urgent care when hubby gets home from work in an hour. I haven't been on as it makes me nauseus(SP) to try to read on the computer. Thank you for your advice, and I will update when I know something.

Misty
  6. mistyd96

mistyd96 New Member

I am back. They said it was a migraine. NOT! Gave me a shot if Imitrex. The only thing it did was give me a head ache. Now all I can is wait til Wed. for my doc appt. Darn insurance........

Misty
  7. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

You poor thing!! I'm so sorry you had this to begin with and then you got the horrible run-around from your insurance company. I remember someone recently on the board mentioned an "ocular migraine". I don't know the symptoms of it, but I wonder if that's what urgent care was talking about or if they had someone there who had the knowledge base to know.

I sure hope you feel better and get the help you need soon. Saying a little prayer for you. Warm hugs, Erika
  8. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Sounds weird. Ocular migraine gives visual symptoms with no pain usually, and the pupil surely doesn't act the way you mention with ocular migraine.

What kind of testing did they do if any? They should have measured the pressure in the eye, and a bunch of other things.

I have bad experiences with ER etc and eye pain. I had eye pressure like you mention with severe pain, but it was not checked at all, I could
    as well had been speaking about what I had for lunch! Just a nod in reply.

See if you can set up an appoinment with a opthamologist as soon as possible. Mention the dilated pupil as well.

Let us know how it goes.
  9. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I've had several bad experiences with ER doctors. No one can explain the logic to me for why they put so many hours in before they sleep. One doc had told a nurse, that she was "on hour 56 and was going home"

We'll keep you in our prayers.