Eye problems with fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dsk820, Feb 28, 2006.

1. dsk820

dsk820 New Member

Hello--I'm new to this message board. My sister has had fibromyalgia for more than a year now, and one of the problems that's affecting her the most is her eyes. She hasn't been able to read since last spring, and her eyes are constantly in pain. She was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of things that helped them with fibromyalgia-related eye problems. Thank you very much for your attention!
  2. Cindi

Cindi New Member

They constantly burn and ache all the time. It also seems that my eyesight is constantly changing. I can't see much at all without my glasses.

I've attributed the burning to Sjogren's Syndrome, and use eyedrops for this. It helps some. I figured that my eyesight changing had to do with age. I'm 46, and have been wearing progressive bifocals for a few years.

I'm not really sure if eye problems are very common with Fibro. I hope that others on here will share their experiences. I would suggest that your sister get a complete eye exam, though, and discuss her concerns with her doctor. If she gets any answers, I'd love to hear what the doctor says, so please post!

Take care,
    ~Cindi~

3. Mamalovinit

Mamalovinit New Member

I can have a lot of eye trouble. Have her make sure through a doctor it is not something else. I did just that but mine is the fibro. I would have swore I was loosing my sight. Went to the doctor and he said they are fine. I don't even need glasses. Go figure because after reading a book for a bit my eyes hurt become blurry and I can hardly focus on a person let alone words. I have no help for you but do sympathize.

M
  4. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I have fibro and it changes my vision almost daily. At times I get tunnel vision. Light sensitivity is common also.
  5. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Could it be something else??? Does she have sinus pain?? Or does she have problems with her neck??

I know when my neck gets bad..My eyes hurt bad...and I can't focus well..Plus I have terrible headaches..

Plus if she has allergies or any sinus problems that can cause eye pain and pressure..

Just some ideas...Hope she gets some answers...and Welcome to the board..

SherylD
  6. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

mom has to get new eye glasses often. her vision changes alot. Her eye doc. says FM does that. FM gives you dry eyes. It can be painful and if not treated, it can cause infection to the cornea.
  7. dsk820

dsk820 New Member

Hi--Thanks for the suggestions! She has had her eyes checked, and the eyedoctor doesn't see any specific problems. If she comes up with anything that helps her, I'll keep you posted!
    Deborah
  8. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

My eyes were in pain for a very long time and another person with fibro told me this....

Put your hand on your forhead ( like your feeling for fever you know sideways) and try to look at the tips of your fingers and then look at the wrist. If it hurts you have a trip there. Slowly look in the direction of the pain off and on for a few days and see if your eye pain gets better.

Everytime I would look up to the left The pain was unbearable. I did those eye exercises and my eyes began to feel better!!!

Just a thought
    Melinda
  9. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

I've noticed that both me and my fibro friend always drive with the visor down on our car.

I can give myself a headache just by looking up.

An optomatrist that I saw 20 years ago, suggested puting a very hot face washer over my eyes to ease eye pain. This can help, however, DO NOT go out into the cold air after doing this.
  10. lease79

lease79 New Member

I have terrible eye problems with the fms. Blurry vision, light sensitivity, black spots, light flashes, & the muscles get so tight that sometimes they just WONT work & I feel like I have to 'make' them move, which then makes my eyes hurt & gives me a headache.
    Have been fully checked out here too & everything is fine.
    I do have glasses, but I don't often wear them as the prescription is so weak I honestly don't need them for sight.
    I find that doing 'eyes exercises' gently can help a little, & if all else fails I have to rest ;)

Lisa
  11. forfink

forfink New Member

It's very common for those of us with FM to have dry eyes. Of course, I'm not a doctor, but if some of her pain is from dry eyes she can use an eye gel at night before she goes to bed. They sell an inexpensive one at Walmart and it lubricates your eyes so well that sometimes you don't even have to put drops in during the day. It's $3.00 for a small tube, basically feels like vasoline, but works nicely.
  12. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

is one of the freaky aspects of FM for me. It is amazing how your sight can change with this DD every day. Hey, I went and got glasses and 2 weeks later could see again!! LOL I thought, who's vision gets BETTER????? I thought I was losing my marbles!

Then I posted here and found out it is common. I have 3 pairs of glasses from the dollar store, 125, 150 and 175. Sometimes I can see without, sometimes I can't. Sometimes I feel like I have "gunk" in my eye, but it is just the good old fibro.

hooray...
    Sonya
  13. ckzim

ckzim New Member

I've had it too, my eyes got so sensitive to the light that I had to wear sunglasses for 3 days. The optromistist said it was the Fibro...It felt like I was half blind, as I could not use my eyes at all. He did dialate them, kind of like freezes them, so the muscles surrounding the eye would rest,along with the sunglasses. He also gave me drops to put in them to keep the eye still, and one to keep it lubracated. It happen right after a great stress in my life. I avoid that whole thing now, so now problems.
    Hope this helps.
  14. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

What a great sister you are to try and help her manager her FMS. I haven't had a big problem with pain in my eyes, although sometimes they feel tired or burn a little.

I do have a problem with the blurry vision and the dry eyes. My eye doctor put me on Restasis, an eye drop that helps your eyes makes more of their own tears (if you are from the U.S. you have probably seen the commercials). Since I've been on the eye drops, my contact lenses are more comfortable and I am not having as much of the blurry vision in the evenings as I was. It was very frustrating when I wanted to watch TV or read.

Ellen
  15. dsk820

dsk820 New Member

Many thanks to all of you for all your suggestions. I am passing them along to my sister. If she finds something that works for her, I will let you know!
    All the best,
    Deborah
  16. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I have very sensitive eyes and also get stabbing pain in either one or both eyes. I have fibro, TMJ, and bulging disk problems in the back.

Dry eyes is another problem and I'm always wearing my sunglasses outside even if it isn't sunny out, my eyes are just too sensitive. I wish I could recommend something for you, but I haven't found anything myself, just letting you know it's problably a fibro thing unless something really new or VERY different is taking place.

I am so use to my weird body that the eye thing just doesn't faze me anymore. Hugs, Chelz.

17. jaime13

jaime13 New Member

eye problems are very common with fibromyalgia, there are muscles and trigger points behind the eye as well as along side them. Our vision changes more quickly than others andwe have a hard time in focusing. My vision and focus as well as clarity goes in and out. I wear contacts and they are for bifocals. I have a near sighted one in one eye and a far sided one in the other. Sometimes to see small print i have to wear my glasses as well,but that is for really small print. Reading on glossy paper is hard for me. This focusing thing of things going in and out for me is a new adventure in the ever changing world of fibromyalgia.Dr. Mark Pellegrino says in his book"INSIDE FIBROMYALGIA" "that eyes can get painful or go into spasm with fibromyalgia,so we have difficulty with moving our eyes,focusing and reading and tracking." Since fibro effects so many parts of our body why leave eyes out.
  18. kfrench

kfrench New Member

Yup, My eye sight goes out the window when I start hurting. I went to the eye doctor and my perscription was the same. I just can't read if I am tired everything get's blurry. Espeically with the computer.
  19. FMhurts

FMhurts New Member

I've had conjuntivitis since getting FM, I have very painful bouts with it, my eye turns red, and feels fevered, my eye sight has gotten much worse as well.

If anyone here has problems seeing these messages or seeing your emails and pc stuff,
    try this
    hold down the Ctrl key while rolling your mouse wheel, it will increase or decrease the size of the writting .

20. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Yes, I have the same problems as many of you...stinging, red, dry eyes. I was so interested to see that others have trouble with focusing, one day using glasses and the next (or the next hour!) needing stronger ones or nothing at all! I just told my husband that my eyesight is going bad.

Thanks to all of you....you have helped me so much. Blessings, Ann