Eyes Burn all the time?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hotfoot, Sep 26, 2004.

1. hotfoot

hotfoot New Member

Does anybody have a problem with burning eyes?It's not allergies, thats been checked I use dry eye drops but it happens all the time .If I'm going into a flare my eyes really hurt aND ARE REALLY RED .iT'S HARD TO PUT UP WITH i LIKE TO READ AND DO ART BOTH MAKE MY EYES TIRED .wONDER IF ANYONE HAS SOMETHING THAT HAS HELPED ALOT OR HAS HAD SIMULAR PROBLEMS-THANKS HOTFOOT
  2. kylemom

kylemom New Member

I get really red dry eyes often too. I wear contacts and they really don't help the situation. Check with a doc or eye doc - you may have an infection that is pretty easy to treat. I get recurring eye infections that are treatable with antibiotic eye drops.

Missy
  3. billiegail

billiegail New Member

My eyes burn often. I noticed that "commercial air conditioners" make my eyes burn more than anything else. I am not sure if it is just FMS related or allergies. I had no allergies until I developed FMS, now I have tons. Go Figure!

God bless
    ~BillieGail~
  4. AnnieKidwell

AnnieKidwell New Member

Here too. I have noticed the last few years my eyes are totally light sensitive. They get tired easy and hurt like heck.

I went to the eye doctor and told him about it and the fact that my vision is blurred and I have a hard time seeing clearly. He said I have near perfect vision! Could have fooled me!

Take care,
    Annie
  5. jenunsa

jenunsa New Member

First, I want to recommend making your own saline solution. It sounds like the eye drops you are using aren't doing much. Saline solution should soothe your eyes until you can find the cause and hopefully a cure.
    Here's the recipe I use:
    -28 oz. tap water (don't use filtered or bottled or distilled water because the pH will be lower and you'll need a different amount of salt)
    -1 tsp. table salt

I use an old visine bottle that I cleaned out to drip the saline solution into my eyes. The great thing about it is there is no limit to how often you can use it or how much to use at a time. All it is is salt water.
    I store the rest in a bottle in the fridge and use it to refill the visine bottle.
    Sometimes I can't believe how much better my eyes feel instantly after using the saline solution. I highly recommend that you at least try this out once.

Also, you say that when you flare your eyes hurt and are very red. This is what kept happening to me when I still had my thyroid. The pain was behind and around the eyes and they would get very bloodshot. It was due to antibodies to my thyroid that also attacked my eyes. It always got worse when I got sick (flared). Perhaps this is what is going on with your eyes? Since I had my thyroid taken out (due to Graves' disease and Hashimoto's syndrome) my eyes are much better but still I have dryness and sometimes burning.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
  6. hotfoot

hotfoot New Member

This is hotfoot thanks everyone I've had this problem most of my life appreciate all your suggestions,very good! thanks a heap -hotfoot
  7. achy

achy New Member

They burn, feel dry, achy and tired. Its hard to read for very long...like they're gunna drop right out of their sockets!

I found an eye gel at wallmart. Instead of drops this is a small tube of gel...just a dab in the eye and it liquifies..really refreshing! All kind available mine were $3...some priced up to $10!!

I do use reading glasses and it helps a bit.

Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  8. hotfoot

hotfoot New Member

Hi,Hotfoot here thank you for the info on eyes, you said your thyroid was removed and that helped?I've had low thyroid for a long time this fall my hair was falling out in clumps and I had a muti-nodular goiter.It hurt to swallow low dose tyroid and cortef helped but still feel the lump don't feel a lot better I never heard of my eyes being affected though.Interesting,we get alot of wierd junk don't we.I see you live in Arizona Ph.(can't spell it)my brother lives there too. He's ear nose & throat DR.Gael DeRouin we're from Michigan,I know the heat there has really got to him,poor thing I'll cry for him in January when its 0or below, HaHa-hotfoot