Eyes starting to close while driving

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tigger57, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I was wondering if any one else has this problem.

It use to happen when I worked at my old job, and it's happening again.

I'll be driving down the road and my eyes get very heavy and don't want to stay open. It scares me. It's not so much that I even feel tired, but I just need to close my eyes. Also, I was wondering if it was light sensitivity, but I wear really dark sunglasses.

Anyone else? This s scaring me even more since my accident the other night. I'm afraid I will be on my way to work on the highway one morning and my eyes will close and the next thing I'll be under an 18-wheeler semi truck.

2. beth0818

beth0818 New Member

many times after work i fel like it must be the middle of the night because my eyes con't stay open. also, sometimes this happens when it is sunny and/warm in the car. be careful.

3. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I am sensitive to the sun too. I get terrible headaches if I'm in the sun too long or if I don't have good sunglases - especially while driving. I wear sunglasses in pretty much any weather. And I also have trouble seeing well at night.

The scary part is that I'm only 26 and my vision is terrible!! Even my eye doctor comments on how he rarely sees patients with vision as bad as mine. I really should look into saving for lasik, which even my eye doctor has suggested as an option because of my terrible vision. It would be more of a necessity though because it is getting hard to get contacts in my prescription, etc. and even with the surgery I might still need slight correction. Ugh!

Okay, sorry for the rant.
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

if you dont feel tired or like you're falling asleep then it isnt that.

This is very dangerous so I hope you get an answer and if not you should check with your doctor Tigger.

5. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

It only happens in the morning... that's the part I don't understand. I could understand a lot more if it was after a long hard day, but first thing in the morning...?

I've been tested a few times for apnea and that's not a problem.

My doctor hasn't ever been able to explain this. Of course, I just started working again. I did have to go back to bed a lot of times, however, when I wasn't working.

Can I tell you how much I really hate all these symptoms?
  6. bubblesgirl

bubblesgirl New Member

Hi Tigger

I have the same problem and now know that I have to pace myself at work and not put too much driving into any one week. I agree it isn't tiredness but the overwhelming urge to shut my eyes, it feels like a black out. I have had sensitivity to light problems all my life and have worn either sunglasses or react to light glasses for years. Even the winter sun has a glare factor that neccessitates (sp?) me wearing dark glasses.

I have noticed that my vision in the winter half light, when the sun is setting and night is not quite there is now almost impossible for me to drive in. In the UK this light is now upon us at about 4:30pm so I have to either get home while there is still good daylight or wait until it gets dark.

The first time I noticed I had a problem was when my daughter went to university about 1.5 hrs drive away from home. I drove her there and was on my own on the way back,
    I began to feel an overwhelming tiredness descend upon me and I know I blacked out at the wheel. I was on our motorway system ,a three lane road with extremely fast moving traffic surrounding me. I was so frightened when I came to, almost immediately, that I stopped at the next service station and had a drink, a walk about and more importantly a rest. I had been driving for years mile upon mile with no problem.

I will not now drive alone for any length of distance. Or if I have to, I make sure I have had sufficient rest to fulfill my work obligations. However I know that I can't put another long drive into my schedule for a week or so.

This was the beginning of my fibro problem and is still part of my overall problem today some five years later.

I can live with it, but don't you just get sick and tired of having to weigh everything up in social gain 1 fibro pain 10 or exploding.

Take care

Sandy ( bubblesgirl)
  7. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

That does sound like me, but again, it's only in the morning that it happens.

When my eyes start to get heavy and close I also start to feel a... I can't think of how to describe it... I guess a weakness in my neck, back and shoulders. It's like that feeling you get in the seconds before you start to sleep.

I'm driving right now about 35 miles one way to work with most of that being on a highway. Normal traffic runs at about 70-75 miles per hour.

We'll have to see what happens.

8. hehmommy

hehmommy New Member

Have they checked you for Lupus? This was happening to my cousin in the morning hours too. She would just fall asleep not doing anything and then wake up later not realizing she feel asleep. I know I get awfully tired in the morning too. I guess you could just try having a cold drink-window rolled down a bit for some fresh cool air-radio on-something to eat while you drive to keep you awake. I would try to leave a little earlier so if you need to pull over you have time to do that. I would mention this to the doctor. You could be low on iron too. That will make you very sluggish and tired too.

9. libra55

libra55 New Member

This happened to me last week when I was driving my daughter to her doctor's appointment. It's an hour there and an hour back.

My eyelids just felt so heavy and droopy I wanted to pry them open with toothpicks or something! It was 3 o'clock in the afternoon. I could have had a nice nap for myself.

Scary isn't it?

Hope you're feeling better.

10. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I would drive home from work everynight while MANUALLY HOLDING one eye open....the other eye was beyond my control and was CLOSED. If I'd pulled over I would not be able to sleep, but was just so tired (and in NEED of sleep), that I literally could no longer hold my eyes open after a day's work.

Once home, I could not read or watch TV, but could also not sleep. 'Twas hell.

In the morning, I could manage to keep eyes open while driving, but my problem would be disorientation and dizziness, also from sleep-deprived fatigue.

I hope you find a solution...or a way to avoid driving (and working perhaps)
  11. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

They are testing me for Lupus. All signs point to it, but nothing is showing up. My doctor is almost certain it will, but just hasn't.

So,does that mean we can't treat it until it shows up? I mean it's bad enough I hate my job, but to worry about if I'm going to kill myself or someone else on my way to the job I hate is another thing altogether.

12. jake123

jake123 New Member

Besides the obvious fatigue, what about your blood sugar and dehydration? Is it at the end of the day or the beginning of the day when this happens? From one who has trouble with blood sugar, I have to eat in the morning to function. I always go to the coffee shop, have a little breakfast,read the paper, and talk to some friends.
    At the end of the day, I make sure I am not dehydrated and that I have a little something like yogurt or crackers with some juice and a nice icy bottle of water.
    Take care!
  13. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I brought it up to the doctor and she said it was all the meds I was on plus the Fibro.That's when she told me not to drive anymore.Even if someone hit me and it wasn't my fault.I would me liable because of the druds in my system.Linda
  14. BethM

BethM New Member

Yes! I know exactly what you are describing. It's an overwhelming feeling that I need to close my eyes and sleep. My eyes don't want to focus and feel like they are vibrating from side to side. Very scary when I'm driving.

I, too, have a 35 mile commute each way to work and back. This happens most often in the afternoon, but can happen in the morning, too. I find if I sing loudly or talk to myself it helps a bit, and that awful feeling usually will pass after awhile.

For awhile I started drinking black tea in the afternoon, which helped, but resulted in other problems like irritating my stomach lining and insomnia. (That's why I drink green tea!)

This is a real problem, and I don't know the solution. It doesn't happen to me every day, then will happen for several days in a row. On occasion I will get home and have no choice but to lie down and sleep for awhile before I can even feed my dogs.

I remember this happening on warm afternoons when I was in my early 20's, too, but only occasionally.

Interesting topic.

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 11/11/2005</i>]
  15. lease79

lease79 New Member

Yep, driving out to my MIL's today my eyes were SOOO heavy, I could barely keep them open, & just looking from side to side was an effort.
    The muscles of the eyes get fatigued too, so it's not really a surprise that they get so 'heavy' even when we are not tired.

16. sues1

sues1 New Member

I have no idea if this would work and I have never tried it.
    A lady I know said she was having this problem and would have to pull over to the side of the road for a quick snooze
    because she could not stay awake, eyes would not stay open.

Her Doctor gave her Kenalog. I THINK it was a shot and she got better. Not sure if it was one or several at first. Then she would get one shot every year after that. It has something to do with allergies that was affecting her. She praised it! She told me of being so frighten when she drove and she had 2 businesses, so was on the road often.

I have never heard of this otherwise and have no other info on it..........but maybe something to check on?
  17. sues1

sues1 New Member

I used a search engine and found Kenalog...lots of info there.
    The only site I looked at a lady said it was steroid used for an Asthma incident....

Approach subject with caution. I am not reccommending it as I do not have first hand knowledge on it.

I want the best for everyone......Blessings
  18. codinqueen

codinqueen New Member

When this started to happen to me I told my Dr because I was driving 190 miles to work every Sunday and another 190 miles to get home on Friday for the 2 days of the weekend to wash clothes and get ready to go again the next week. I did this for about 18 months, and was terrified I would balck out while driving. Dr said he thought it was Narcolepsy, and possibly brought on by my obstructive sleep apnea. He put me on Provigil at that time and it was a big help. You certainly need to ask your Dr about this symptom, and ask if he would give you some Provigil to try. The first few months I took it, I was constantly thirsty and couldn't keep my tongue away from my teeth for some reason, - I found myself constantly rubbing my tongur up against the insides of my teeth-but that went away after a few months. It kept me awake to drive and do other functions. The military gives it to our armed forces in Iraq when they are on long missions, to keep them awake and aware.
  19. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I have had many mornings when I felt my eyes closing while driving into work. And, like you, it was only in the morning.

The first thing I did was cut down on the Xanax I was taking. I slowly weaned myself down. That helped. Now I am on a very minimal dose (1/2 of a .25 mg tablet) and I only take that dose in the afternoon. Are you taking any benzos?

The other link I made was that it had to do with eating breakfast. I was usually just eating a bowl of cereal. I think for me, the digestion process was taking away from my ability to stay awake. I'm a big believer in breakfast, so skipping breakfast was not an option.

I started on Stormy's shake, and the morning droopies seem to have lifted. I'm not sure if the contents of that shake are just easier for me to digest or what, but I'm not having the problem anymore. Do you eat breakfast?

Sorry about your car accident, too. That was a bummer!

20. ultimatech

ultimatech New Member

I'm sorry for replying to this very old post. I have the same situation now where my eyes just want to shut when driving. Its not sleep but they just want to close and it gets very difficult for me to keep them open&lt;BR&gt;
    Were you able to find out the reason of the problem?