EYESIGHT DETERIORATING BLINDNESS-UPDATE July21st

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

For some time now, I've noticed that my eyesight is getting worse. I'm having trouble reading, even with my reading glasses on.

Last night I got up to go the bathroom and as I sat on the edge of the bed, I realized that I could not see from my left eye. I saw total blackness when I covered my right eye and tried to see out of my left eye. This lasted only a couple of minutes and then my sight returned.

This morning my left eye is still blurry and feels funny. I've made an appt. with an Opthalmologist.

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Or is anyone else's eyesight getting worse?

Thanks,

Lolalee

UPDATE - July 20, 2006

Saw an Ophthalmologist and my Primary Care MD. They ran all kinds of tests and suspect I experienced something called "Amaurosis Fugax".

Does anyone have any experience with this?

They also want to check me for MS.

Thanks.

Lolalee
    [This Message was Edited on 07/21/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/21/2006]
  2. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

My eyesight has gotten a bit worse overall. I was just in for an eye check and had to up my reading prescription a notch but then I ain't getting any younger. She said my eyes were really healthy - yay!

When I was really sick a couple of years ago my eyesight was really bad - super blurry near and far, my eyes would wiggle back and forth, I had black spots and floaters, any light hurt like the dickens.
    It's very common in CFIDS to have eyesight problems and I was told by my doctor that it has to do with irritated/inflamed nerves leading to the eye and not the eye itself. My recent testing confirmed this! My eyesight will still be more sensitive when I am tired or in a flare.

I would definitely go to the appointment but don't worry too much beforehand as I have read in many books that it's a CFIDS/Fibro thing and that is my experience too for what it's worth.

Hope everything turns out O.K. for you!
    Gretchen
  3. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Love your name by the way.

Thanks for your reply. It really helped put me at ease.

Lolalee
  4. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Let us know how you get on with your opthalmologist, this sounds scary. I experience a lot of intermittent 'black holes' in my vision that have been diagnosed as 'partial eye migraines' (not sure about that) but never anything as bad as you describe. Hugs x
  5. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

When I am in a flare my eyesight is very bad. Can't read even with glasses and I get tunnel vision in my right eye.

I have been slowly coming out of a bad flare and my sight is better but still blurry. Somedays it is worse than others.

This is common with both FMS and CFS but you should still get checked as it could be other things. Better safe than sorry later. It will most likely just be one more symptom you have to accept. Take care.
  6. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

I really noticed a difference when I was put on Elavil and Neurontin, so maybe if you are on meds that can make it worse also. Yeah, it's really fun when you are trying to apply make-up and you can't see what you put on !
    I went to the Opthamologist a couple weeks ago because I kept having blurry vision, but everything was fine except for a stronger script for reading glasses! Good you are having things checked out...

Laura

7. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Thanks for your support. I'll let you know what the doctor says tomorrow.

dncn - I've never heard of Cytomegalovirus. I will have it checked out. Thanks.

Lolalee
  8. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

I wish You the best with your eye sight. This is one sence that we all take for granted. I ended up with ON (optic neurtis) one of the first systoms of MS. Oh and yes I know have MS, and I now have perement blind spots in my right eye.
    Blessings,
    Michelle
  9. wuki1

wuki1 New Member

I just started having a blurry spot in my vision last week. I have MS so figured it was optic neuritis. It is. Opthalmologist tells me to wait it out and it will probably go away with no permanant damage. Hmm-probably huh?
    Hopefully your problem is temporary !!

Kim

10. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

11. IlivetocantoronXena

Has your primary doc dx you with POLYMYALGIA?
    TIA goes along with this DX.
    Blessings
    Michelle
    Here is a link that explains POLYMYALGIA
    Copy and paste

http://www.arthritis.ca/types%20of%20arthritis/polymyalgia%20rheumatica/default.asp?s=1
  12. IlivetocantoronXena

Kim,

Please do not take ON so lightly. With each attack one does suffer permanent damage. As in your vision field. One can also have bilateral ON and not know it like I did I thought it was only my right eye and it was not. One can go completely blind from this if it is not addressed. I would by demanding my Neurologist to send me to a Neuro-Ophthamologist. Sometimes one has to be treated with MEGA dose’s of steroids IV for 7-19 days. I had to be. With my first onset, and I get ON at least once a year. It is a pain in the hinny. PLEASE DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH IT PLEASE!!!
    I wish You the best!!
    Blessings
    Michelle

13. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

A doctor I used to see years ago when I lived in Texas did diagnose me with Polymyalgia Rheumatica, but he never talk to me about it much. I figured it was just part of FMS. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. I never knew it could cause blindness.

What would we do without this board? It helps so much to share our symptoms and experiences. I definitely will take your advice.

Blessings,

Lolalee
  14. IlivetocantoronXena

sure dear any time
    Michelle
  15. jarjar

jarjar New Member

This is a classic problem related to lyme and coinfections from lyme. The marshall protocol is great for getting rid the eye inflamation bacteria. You read it in the post often where people'e vision returns to normal after a period on the protocol.

Everyday I read on this board of people complaining of lyme related problems. So sad that the Dr's are not knowledgeable enough to run a test. Instead they just slap a CFS or FM label on them like they did to me for ages.

[This Message was Edited on 07/22/2006]