Face to face with illness Name problem

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pennygirl2, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

I had the strangest experience today. I was washing face in front of mirror and I had thoughts that seemed to come to me rather than me thinking them. My thought was: "I have CFS and FM, I have to cope with this life the best I can by helping people as much as I possibly can to make up for guilt of having this illness."

I did not expect the guilt part. It just came with other thoughts. I thought I had long ago dealt with the guilt this wrong-named illness brings. I take care of myself, pride myself on dealing with all, but I do deal with very low self-esteem. Hmmmmmm.

I had met two ladies at lunch today in local cafe and I was wearing my wrist splint and holding my cane as usual, and one asked what the splint was for. Easiest thing was just to say I have FM. They both nodded as though that just explained my whole situation.

Problem is, my "primary" illness is CFS. It came years before FM, starting with mono. For some reason I said Fibro today and I got a whole difference response than usual. I guess we do need a name change. Do you feel guilty? We shouldn't.
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

for not being able to take of the things I used to. This happens when I am having a flare day. I try not to and know that I shouldn't, but still do at times.

Yes we do need a name change.
  3. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

No, I don't feel guilty. Nor should you. If you were in an accident and lost a limb or had cancer or another terrible disease, would you feel guilty?

We didn't bring these illnesses upon ourselves. It is hard enough to deal with all the debilitating symptoms without adding guilt to the mix.

And, Penny, I don't think that helping people is the way to deal with your guilt. You have to start with helping yourself. You have to believe you are worthy. I hope you can believe that.

Lolalee
  4. jenafuzzy

jenafuzzy New Member

When my kids ask me to take them somewhere and I just can't or when my husband wants me to go to the store with him. I know they don't fully understand.

I also feel guilty when I have a home bound day where all I do is sleep. I just feel like I am missing so much of life and I feel like I should be able to just rally my body and get moving.

Does anyone else feel that way at times?

Thanks,

Jennifer