Facebook Like and Tweet Icons

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ProHealth, Oct 19, 2012.

1. ProHealth

ProHealth Member

Hello to all of our Community Members,

Thank you for the feedback on the recently added Facebook and Twitter links. We appreciate hearing your voice in these situations and we are willing to listen to you.

With the response so far, we are willing to remove these links, but would like to first explain what the benefit is for you. If the majority of our members still feel the same way after the explanation, we will make a final decision to remove within 72 hours.

Please read this: ProHealth is planning to grow and strengthen this community that has brought so many of you support and information over the years. Our community can only grow with exposure to others. When a post is ‘Liked’ or ‘Tweeted’, it increases the number of new people who might find it interesting. More people who could share your experiences. More people to help.

These social media links were suggested to us by our trusted moderators who had received the request from several community members over the past month.

When making your decision, please keep in mind that this message board is in a public space on the internet and can be found many different ways. Also, unless you decide otherwise, your identity is completely anonymous to others viewing posts that you have participated in.

Please take this survey that will be used to collect your vote.

<div id="surveyMonkeyInfo"><div><script src="https://www.surveymonkey.com/jsEmbed.aspx?sm=jDASIV6XYN_2fPphde609iig_3d_3d"> </script></div></div>

In addition, please feel free to continue posting any comments below regarding this topic.

Thank you,
    ProHealth
  2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

and don't need to....this blog and others I'm on are enough for me....

It's good to get information out there to as many as possible I guess but I don't understand this means....

I don't tweet or fb.....
  3. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I agree with Patti's comments. We have a more intimate space here among fibro/ME members who are seeking help. The traditional search methods have allowed people from all over the globe to find us, and that is how I found prohealth.com over eight years ago.

As most people would likely agree, Facebook, and Twitter are not typical nor appropriate venues to share extremely personal information. Those venues are where people typically share lighthearted information. While prohealth.com is also a public forum, it is much different in that it is typically only sought out ONLY by people with medical issues, NOT by the general public who can relate to us at times.

We need this more relatively private, intimate space to continue. I strongly feel that we risk losing the vital sharing and support that is so needed here if we allow the comments to go on FB and Twitter. Thank you for the opportunity to give feedback.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/19/2012]
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

You probably don't have to post less. Just don't press the buttons. I am probably going to vote no too. I do FB but am more careful about it when I do. I like to share and get pics and talk to people I may never see again in person.

This is a very different board and I do understand why most feel the way the do, voting no.

Moderators - thanks for trying to help us but I think most of us just want our own private gathering, discussing whatever it is we want to discuss, even if it is just venting.

Thank you PH also for taking our feelings into consideration.

Love and blessings,

Granni
    [This Message was Edited on 10/19/2012]
  5. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I am not involved in Twitter or Facebook for my own reasons. I thank you for explaining to us and giving us this chance to express ourselves.
  6. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

DON'T FORGET TO DO THE ACTUAL SURVEY IN THE INITAL POST.
  7. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I have already voted no. Not liking this at all.
  8. jaminhealth

please, simple as possible...

If one is not on FB or tweet, does it matter to those people....

Do all posts and replies go directly to FB and Tweet??????
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't use social media but a lot of people do. If one does not want to use the icons, one simply doesn't click on them. Because this is a public website, topics covered here can be Googled and posts will come up. I've Googled and found some of my own. ProHealth protects us by not allowing e-mail addresses, or other identifying info, to be posted so there is really no danger of being identified "out there" in cyberspace.

There are those who make Facebook and Twitter as kind of home bases where they can reach out and comment on what's going on everywhere online, on TV and live. It is a convenience for them to have one or two places from which to operate. Others of us don't want to do that but we don't have to. Just because the icons are there doesn't mean we have to use them. The younger generation stays informed through social media and to them, it's the most normal thing in the world. To those of us not raised with it, it may seem as though we are too exposed but the ProHealth safeguards are in place here.

The benefits of sharing on FB or T, if you want to, is that you can help someone suffering out there to find what we all stumbled into here and has been a God send to us. We have a good thing going here but it would be great if people lost in illness might find the same help we have found.

I don't think the icons should come down. I think we each can make up our minds about whether to share on FB and T ourselves.

Love, Mikie
  10. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

and it shows that one person felt they had "control" even through all of those posting objected on this subject. That was unfair to all in this thread that posted who did not want to appear in Facebook.

Also, probably the same person has gone through my recent posts on Chat and marked them as LIKE also, knowing that I object. That's just ridiculous.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2012]
  11. jaminhealth

I'm in your generation, that I know, even older....

Blows me away that this is such a big deal in the 6Billion in the world....no emails, no addresses, no real names for most of us, etc etc etc....jam

If people don't want messages on those two areas, don't CLICK the icons, a no brainer to me...

All the folks on the porches, lounges,netc. just stay on the Porch, don't click the new icons....

Am I wrong on this simple thinking...[This Message was Edited on 10/20/2012]
  12. jaminhealth

this doesn't upset and sadden me, I'll continue to post and talk as I always have....

Are we making too much out of this? Wondering.....ok, off my soap....
  13. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

I can't see where any of these messages are posting over to FB. I'm not quite sure what the purpose of "like" button is for here on PH??
  14. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

Diane, that was me. I pressed "like" to see what would happen over on FB. I was looking originally over on the PH Facebook page. I couldn't see what everyone was so upset about until I went to my home page and I saw the link back to this thread posted there. I have since removed it. I hate the idea that our posts here can get posted over on FB. I don't post here often anymore, however, if PH don't get rid of this feature, I won't be posting here anymore and will get my account deleted.
  15. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

Hi Jamin - I now understand why everyone is upset. I don't want my family members and close friends coming over here to PH to read my posts. Many times we come here to vent when we are having issues with family or friends and we don't want them then coming over here and reading everything we have written. Other times we want to talk about medical issues that we might not have mentioned to family and friends. Once they find this board through one link, what is to stop them from reading through everything. It feels like a total loss of privacy. Granted, it is a public forum, but they have to know about it in the first place.
  16. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

I voted "yes". Now I want to change my vote. I hate the idea now that I can see that it links back to here.
  17. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

There should have been a better explanation as to what exactly would happen when someone clicked on the FB or Twitter button. I'd like to change my vote to "no, I don't want FB or Twitter" buttons, however, I see I don't have that option to change my vote.
  18. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

even if I already did vote no. I did so for one reason and also thinking that it was up to ME if I LIKED or TWEETED.. However, I see now that all it takes is someone else to LIKE it and the thread goes with it, and it zooms to FB or wherever.

If I posted HERE ON PH, that is where I want it stay. I did not realize or think about the whole post would be zooming elsewhere, when someone else LIKES or TWEETS - duh !!

Guess I think I understand it now but I still want my posts to stay on this board - PH, NOT FB, TWITTER or whatever. BTW, I already voted properly, I think :)!!

Hugz,
    Granni (again)
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2012]
  19. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I don't go on Facebook because too many there go into unacceptable behavior. We see people coming on the boards here and immediately getting their posts pulled or edited because they do not read about what they can/cannot post. It's a different and kinder world here on this board than on Facebook.

Also, Facebook plays fast and loose with privacy. They are notarious for changing setting and in turn changing privacy settings and having their people in an uproar over it. I don't want it. I also don't want any pictures that I submit of family, friends, etc. being used there in ads, which has been done. That is why I don't use Facebook, LinkedIn and I don't use Twitter.

I think if I have to use Twritter to contact a friend, I should just pick up the phone instead.
  20. jole

jole Member

I feel very strongly about this. My joining PH was for 'family', people who understand, and being able to help each other. If I wanted my info on FB I can put it there....which I won't!

All of us dislike scammers and trolls. To me, this is just asking for them. People on FB love getting into other people's lives, and we don't need them here.

I feel like some of the others...if it goes to this, I may leave the board, which has been my social life for years. For those of us who rarely leave our homes, I've gained an understanding family here and feel I matter. Perhaps an advertisement about our group on FB would let more people know we're here without compromising our safety as much. Just my opinion.......and I truly do appreciate PH for giving us this space to sound off...thank you.