Facial Pain Head/Neck Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Jun 25, 2006.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Anyone with myofascial pain in the face and head? Somedays I feel like a sinus infection in my face and nose, but there isn't an infection. Then the pain is in my cheeks, all along the jaws and around the bones where my teeth are. No infection just constant aching. I can't even pinch my cheeks without pain. The oral surgeon said I have myfascial pain syndrome and said to go to therapy. What kind of therapy can you do in your mouth?

I also get headaches. I'm going to my DO this week for cranial sacral release.

Anyone else with this type pain and what do you do for it?

Please post.

Tania
  2. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I have a very similar pain. Have had it for 16 years. I also have TMJ and the two work together to create a special kind of hell.

I get the worst head pain episodes - I think they are occipital nerve headaches. I would rather go through labor again then ever have another one of those.

But even when they aren't in a full-on episode the face pain is always there.

The ONLY thing that has ever helped with that pain is a trigger point shot in my face and at the base of my skull. It actually took the pain completely away. It's supposed to be temporary but has helped now for about 3 months.

Hope this is helpful.

Sofi
  3. daymom

daymom New Member

I have the same symtems And I also have myfascial pain ! It affects my whole body if anyone pokes me it will spread to diffrent parts of my body . I fully understand what you are feeling. I tried everything there is there is not much that helps me . I am now tring a hypmotist so far he made my neck pain go away.
  4. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi Tania

I have EXACTLY what you are describing - intense pressure sinus type pain in my head - some days it feels like the skin will burst and my brains will pop out!!

Also intense aching in my face, especially in my cheeks under my eyes, sore tight jaw, pain in teeth - feel like the nerves are exposed. For me, its worse on the left side, and there are areas of numbness also.

After moaning at my doctor that I could not possibly live in this type of pain she has referred me to a Pain clinic. I havent been yet, but I'm hoping like hell they will be albe to help me.

I've also just started taking Neurontin. I'm on day 4. Its not supposed to start working for about 2 weeks, but I think I've noticed a small improvement in my facial pain. Who knows if its the drug or not. Time will soon tell.

Can you get your doc to refer you to a pain clinic?

I hope you get some relief soon.

Take care
    Michelle
  5. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Anyone else? This face, teeth, head pain is driving me nuts!
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Neck and head pain and dizzyness is what drives me nuts and a lot of others here too. It is the pits.

Love Anne Cromwell
  7. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

I'm also going nuts with the head, face and teeth pain. Its been going on for a few months now.

I dont really know mucgh about trigger points and massage - how can massaging your neck relieve the pain in your face?

Thanks
    Michelle
  8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Tania and all,
    I have had alot of what you all are talking about for over 20 years. Have had very little relief. Was finlly dxed and have been trying some meds and am now starting some PT. She hasn't started working on my head yeat. Most of my pain in the the back part of my head.

Hope to also try that TP book. Haven't ordered it yet but hope to do so soon. This is ridiculous!!! All this pain and no one new much about it. I figured out the FM but just heard about the CMP./

Gotta run. DH needs the computer.

Granniluvsu
  9. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

it really affects my thinking, vision, everything. It feels like vise grips on the back of the neck and bands around the head. VERY painful. Mine is getting better over the past year. Can't attribute it to one thing, but overall treatment. I am following Teitelbaum's protocols, getting life-saving glutathione IV's, and get 3-5 grams of IV magnesium each week. Also get osteopathic manipulation (cranial-sacral). Also do trigger point self treatment as per Haleycole. I agree that it likely starts in the neck, under the jaw, behind the collarbone, in the shoulders. Hope you can work it out. Blessings. Jen102
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

I'm really curious and intrigued!

What you all have described is very much like what I experience. But no one has mentioned one symptom that I have which makes me think that it IS sinus.

When I sleep, the side of my face that is 'down' is always the side that will have the most pressure. When I change sides, I can feel what seems like fluid/mucous slowly drain to the new side that is 'down' (principles of gravity at work!).

It's the same sensation as when I've had a cold, except that I can breathe thru my nose. I also experience some post-nasal drip occasionally when I get up, but not always.

I have at times resorted to taking oxycodone and valium to get relief from muscle spasms and pain from this headache, and when they take effect all that is mostly left is the pressure pain at the top of my nose and around my eyes...

Do you all experience the pressure changing sides when you turn over while laying down too?

ENTs have all agreed with me regarding diagnosis, even tho ct-scans are clear and show no infection; they tell me they see a large population of patients with the same symptoms and no obvious infection, and feel it is due to pollution or whatever.

I've also found it will remit with no rhyme or reason that has ever been apparent to me or any doctor, even tho I've kept diaries and done elimination diets etc.

Thanks,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 06/28/2006]
  11. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

i think your sinus problems could be triggerpoint related. There is a trp in the hollow part of your lower sinuses--excuisitely (sp?) sore spot--a muscle contraction. Osteopaths who practice cranial sacral manipulation believe that the sutures in the plates in your skull are not totally fixed, but can be moved slightly.

I think that the muscle contractions of trps can pull in the bones and areas around the sinuses (change alignment), and that this can affect drainage. The lymph has to flow thru glands that are in muscles. IF the muscles are contracted with a trp, that can affect drainage too. These might be under the jaw or in the neck.

These are my experiences. Also, I think sinus problems can cause trps, as well as it being the other way around. Blessings. Jen102
  12. maggie3030

maggie3030 New Member

I WELL UNDERSTAND YOUR PAIN AND FRUSTRATION. I'VE HAD FIVE SINUS RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERIES, ACCUPUNCTURE, A PLETHORA OF NARCOTICS, TENS UNITS, ETC., IN AN ATTEMPT TO LEAVE WITH EXCRUCIATING PAIN WHICH WOULD LINGER AFTER A SINUS INFECTION WOULD CLEAR WITH ANTIBIOTICS, ACCORDING TO MRI'S.

FINALLY, THE DUKE PAIN CLINIC (NC) STARTED ME ON TOPOMAX FOR ATYPICAL MIGRAINES. IT'S BEEN TRULY LIFE CHANGING. I'M ON 100MG MORNING AND NIGHT, AS WELL AS A PATIENT IN THE FIBRO CLINIC.

I STILL HAVE SOME PAIN, BUT IT'S DECREASED AT LEAST 80%. I HAVE A LIFE AGAIN!!!

MAGGIE
  13. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I get this one sided stuffiness at times, along with a headache on the same side and extreme pain and muscles tightness---all on the same side! I am sure it is trigger points too. I am just learning more about these, and what to do about them. I knew I had CMPS, I just didn't know that I could do something about them until Hayleycole told me about this book, etc. I have the book now so I am slowly learning.

I get the same congestion on the side I am lying on which switches to the other side when I turn on it as well. It is very common with FM.
  14. victoria

victoria New Member

I'm getting a bit depressed when I reflect on how many things I have tried and the amount of money I've spent on this, with no success - I don't mean to sound negative at all when I say it seems like I've tried everything- I keep looking for a possibility all the time.

I haven't tried surgery, as happily nobody tells me I need it anyway. OR moving to an island, which was a real suggestion given to me by an ENT. (I wish I could! lolol)

I have tried osteopathic cranial manipulation (the doctor, who had an exceptional reputation, told me he couldn't help me after 8 sessions and no relief, so I was 'fired' I guess);

as well as myofascial release (did 8 sessions with no improvement)... but that is why I was curious as to what order people's symptoms occur in.

I too do believe it can work from sinus pressure and extend into the muscles. I was also looking at a page for splenius capitus muscle trigger points, and it really matches up to my points of pain.

But it does ALWAYS start with the sinus pressure FIRST and then eventually results in the cascade of pain. I'm not sure that y'all are saying this happens to you in that order, other than maybe razorqueen? Does it seem to happen all at once, or in reverse order, or -- ?

Maggie, that is interesting about the Topomax too. I did try imitrex on the possibility of a migraine, but it actually seemed to give me a slightly different headache... anyway the pain was worse. But another medication might work better as they may work differently. It might be worth a try.

My DH is looking for a biofeedback thermal unit for me to use as he was a psychologist (now retired), he used this for pts with migraines and other types of pain. I also used to work with patients, and I used to be really good at raising my own hand temps... they have drifted back to being rather cold.

I am hoping this may make a difference... we knew a doctor who was able to actually take care of his headaches from food allergies by raising his hand temperatures, much to his disbelief the first time he did it. He didn't understand why it worked for that type of headache, but didn't disagree that it worked.

thanks again, I really appreciate the suggestions and feedback!
    Victoria

It seems like sinus pain and this type of 'syndrome' tho really does run rampant in our population.

all the best,
    Victoria

15. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

oh yeah, I have that. I also have Mastoiditis, and it flared for about 4 years, till I had a Brain MRI, (yep I do have one lol).

My ear would plug up, and the pain would be like someone poking a pencil stright into to the Eardrum. (medial pterygold at work there, and it also makes my tounge and the right side of my throat hurt).

Having CMPD, I have Mup.TrPs that are involved, when I have an Infection.
    The main ones are called, the Splenius both the upper and lower region. The muscles in my neck stiffen, worse, then the SCM acts up, (Sternocleidmastoid).

The back of my ear turns red and does swell also, when I am having a Mastoiditis infection/flare.

I use Soma, it relaxs the muscles, and I use a Moist heat on the lower mouth /jaw area's that hurt the most.
    For my Eye's and headaches, I use a Mask that I keep in the Freezer, I lay that across my Eys'/Sinus area for about 10mins. works to reduce the puffness I get too around the eye's.

I think my most embarassing symptom is when my nose run's, I carry cloth hankerchiefs, because the tissues make me worse, go figure, ;o]
    I hate when it does that, mostly when I am around AC.
    I am allergic to it, you could say, as I get sick being in it for very long. grrr!
    I use a lot of fans during the summers, ;o)

hope you find some answers that will help with your pain.
    I know using the moist heat on my face is about the best thing I can do, besides my meds, to get rid of the facial pain,

Have you been to an ENT? That's who treats me for this kind of pain.
    He also has other pt's with FMS/CMPD, so I trust him pretty much.
    sharonk
    [This Message was Edited on 06/29/2006]
  16. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I was hoping to post sopmething useful here today as I saw the neurosurgeon yesterday who is meant to be an expert in this self same pain.

He was pleasant enough, never really touched my neck at all except with one finger for about 2 seconds.

He said that it was all muscular and probably FM.

I asked if he believed in FM and he said not really but so many people came to him with the same type of pains with no supporting evidence as to cause, that he felt that if they wanted to call it FM, why not?

He then said there was no treatment for it. It was another, "stupid middle aged woman, get her out of here." Even though he was smiling and polite I could tell. Plus he said he had read my MRI's but what he had read was one that is 4 years old, not last years. So there you are.

I see pain doctor on 10th, will see what he has to say. In desparation I did go back on the Amitryptiline last night took 10mg. Did sleep better and pain is a little easier today, yet numbness still apparent. I have finally given in as I think even if the Amytryptiline makes me a nervous wreck and angry during the day (I tore my clothes apart in anger last time I took it) so what, I have got to the stage where I am so sick of doctors telling me the pain is not that bad or unreal or all in my head or implying it.

I feel sorry for you. It helps to sleep only on one pillow even though you think two will help, and wear a soft neck collar at night.

If you can buy a proper hydrocolator, the sort you boil in water, for the very moist heat(you wrap it in towels)this help losen the muscles. This neurosurgeon did say yesterday that 90% of our neck pain comes from the trapezoid muscle in the top shoulder and this is always tight and work on getting that loose and the neck will loosen too.

Love and hugz. Anne Cromwell