FACTS (and Commentary) on HPV Vaccine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elliespad, Jan 9, 2007.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

The following is a cut & paste of yesterdays' e-newsletter I received from Dr. Erika. These are HER words, not mine.

I’ve been inundated with questions about the new HPV vaccine. Most e-mails and calls come from mothers of young girls who are confused about what to do with their daughters. It seems that the pediatricians have picked up the drug companies’ baton and are out to immunize every young girl in sight.

Should you vaccinate or shouldn’t you?

I know the CDC in conjunction with the American Cancer Society have been quite diligent about providing FAQs and other informational pamphlets on the topic of the HPV vaccine, its use and recommendations.

However complete and detailed these materials are, keep in mind the final decision is a personal decision and in the case of the HPV vaccine, it falls all in the lap of the parents.

As a parent and a physician I’d like to give you some insight into my own understanding and position on this issue. As a parent, my daughters are 22 and 29 and thus I need not make this difficult decision but as a caring and honest physician I can promise you that my advice is given to you as I would for my own girls.

Relevant Background

HPV is considered as common as the common cold virus by most practicing physicians in the US. It is that common and that innocuous.
    There are more than 100 strains of HPV
    60 cause regular non-genital skin warts
    40 cause genital warts.
    6 million people get infected yearly with this virus that we know of
    70% of those infected are clear of any sign of the infection within a 1 year
    90% have no sign of infection by 2 years.
    HPV viruses that are associated with a high incidence of cancer (by the way, no one really knows the true statistics of infected healthy people without immune system problems) include HPV 16, 18, 31, 35, 45, 51, 52, 58 and others.
    You cannot distinguish the type of HPV causing a particular infection with normal blood testing
    The HPV vaccine was approved by the FDA a couple of months ago so it has no track record of safety or long term side-effect evaluation
    The vaccine protects from 2 high risk HPV viruses-#16 and 18 which cause 70 % of cervical cancers and HPV #6 and 11, the strains that cause 90% of genital warts

We do not know anything about the vaccine’s long term effectiveness or dangers in general and in specific on American girls. Before its approval by the FDA the vaccine was tested in other countries around the world for only 5 years.

Now that you are a little less scared about being non-compliant by keeping your daughter away from the vaccination, let’s look at a couple of more issues.

So who is at highest risk of getting cervical cancer caused by HPV virus?

Young women- teen to early twenties with multiple sex partners who lack access to preventive and regular Pap smears and routine check-ups.

Let me make it a bit clearer: if my daughters were in the HPV immunizable age group I would not have them immunized with the HPV vaccine.
    The reason: Once they became sexually active my daughters started going for regular Pap smears. Pap smears diagnose HPV related problem early and the gynecologist then treats the problem and prevents it from becoming cancer.
    Cervical cancer is a disease created by lack of preventive care.
    If our girls have routine Pap smears once they are sexually active, they are okay.

If your daughter may not have access to consistent preventive care, if you cannot afford it or you are not sure you can help your daughter get into a supportive and protective health environment, then protect her by immunizing her.

If your daughters are going to get routine PAP smears once they are sexually active,
    if they are going to be supported and given encouragement and example to help them develop self-esteem and self-confidence, they will become self- protective and care enough about their bodies and their health not to lead risky lifestyles that expose them to STDs or other abusive situations. In this case they will not need the HPV vaccine.

Besides my concerns with the long term effect of the HPV vaccine I have one last nagging concern I want to share with you.

What message are we giving our daughters if we immunize them at the age of 9 against a sexually transmitted disease? Are we giving them a false sense of security and implicit encouragement for reckless sexual behavior?

You make that decision and don’t let the doctor, the school nurse, the drug rep or your neighbor tell you what to do!

2. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I am in general a believer in vaccines.

HOWEVER, I recently saw in our paper where the Ohio legislature is wanting to make the vaccine a requirment for school age girls(I think it was 12 and older). I think that is outrageous. I don't believe this is a "public health" issue but rather a private one.

Shar
  3. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Thank you ELLIESPAD for cutting and pasting this info...

I cannot imagine how many girls have been vaccinated due JUST to the commercials they ran...

Just like the 'fat dog drug' post that I posted recently, It's unreal what we are 'bombarded' with and choose not to research and get the FACTS...

Thanks again, hope more see this~Alicia
  4. shell

shell New Member

I was diagnosed with HPV/ Cervical dysplasia at the age of 28. It was one step away from cancer. Unlike the post above I did NOT have multiple partners - I had 2 (from the age of 21). This virus is very common and it spreads even using a condom. I had normal paps every year up until they diagnosed severe dysplasia (last step before it turns to cancer). It is slow growing so most likely it had been missed on previous PAPS. The system is not perfect and there are some that are missed with regular checking. Now that I have had part of my cervix removed, I still have to worry about it coming back. I hope that I will be one of those who are not missed if it comes back. If it does come back I will have to have a hysterectomy before I have kids. All this with regular PAPS. I now obscenely worry because of the CFS everytime I get swollen lymph nodes that it is a cancer. I wish I could go back and get the vaccine even as little as we know about it. Until then I will have my neices vaccinated. This prevention is necessary in my opinion. I would guess that anyone that is not advocating it has never been touched by it.
  5. HurtsToMove

HurtsToMove New Member

My story is almost exactly the same as yours. I too worry constantly that it will come back and not be caught early.

My only concern with the vaccine would be long-term health issues, as with any new vaccine. I bet these same issues came up with the polio vaccine when it was rushed to market.

Other than that, I can't see a problem with a vaccine that prevents cancer. I would think women would be jumping for joy over this.

As to this quote:
    "What message are we giving our daughters if we immunize them at the age of 9 against a sexually transmitted disease? Are we giving them a false sense of security and implicit encouragement for reckless sexual behavior?"

Geez, just tell them it's a routine immunization! Do parents usually explain in-depth the need for shots?

6. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Yes, this is a personal decision and I wish we had more time to see the long-term effects.

I have a young daughter so it is on my mind.

I grew up being taught abstinence. I did abstain till I was 21, and then had only 2 partners and even then was quite prude.

I was also trained as a health-care worker and worked with women in WIC.

STILL, we do stupid things and judgement gets clouded. I didn't contract an STD but did end up pregnant.

A recent study showed that regardless of religious affiliation or financial standing - 95% of people have sex before marriage.

I'm glad to have a little time before I have to make the decision but when I do I will certainly be taking the reality of human sexuality into account.

Sofi
  7. pocahontas606

pocahontas606 New Member

i do not not a whole lot about the hpv vaccine but i am not a proponent of vaccines at all. these are just my views and i am not at all criticizing those who would choose differently, so no offense meant by my views to follow.

i do not think humans/animals - most living things - are not intended to have a live pathogen introduced to our systems -especially when these vaccines far exceed anything that would ever be considered "homeopathic" doses.

i am a firm believer that our health lies and rests in our gut/intestine and when we add these pathogens to that delicate environment we have major problems... could take years to show. i think vaccines are behind a lot of the health problems we see today... and it angers me to see the pharm companies now wanting to infect our teenagers b/c parents are now getting "hip" to the dangers our infants faced by these vaccines.

i am a big fan of russell blaylock m.d. - he is a neurosurgeon and a VERY smart/up-to-date/informed practioner - I wish he could be my doctor! i have learned a ton about vaccines through his writings and others.

none-the-less, i am not trying to offend, these are just my thoughts on what i have learned over the years.

peace-
    [This Message was Edited on 02/04/2007]
  8. ayhatch

ayhatch New Member

Thanks for the info Ellie! My daughter is 10 and the question has been posed about giving her this vaccine, BUT your explaination about regular care and prevention makes it pretty clear to me that I don't need to have her vaccinated. Whew! Thanks!
  9. pocahontas606

pocahontas606 New Member

hi there. i am glad we have antibiotics too... there is a time and a place for a lot of things for sure.

i think we have less disease b/c we have better sanitation. i have done too much research to feel otherwise about the vaccines - especailly regarding children. but that's one of the reasons we are so lucky to live where we do - we get to choose. i however am not comfortable at all if a vaccine no longer becomes a choice and is mandated.

again - just my view.
  10. pocahontas606

pocahontas606 New Member

June 27, 2006

MERCK'S GARDASIL VACCINE NOT PROVEN SAFE FOR LITTLE GIRLS
    National Vaccine Information Center Criticizes
    FDA for Fast Tracking Licensure

Washington, D.C. - The National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC) is calling on the CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) to just say "no" on June 29 to recommending "universal use" of Merck's Gardasil vaccine in all pre-adolescent girls. NVIC maintains that Merck's clinical trials did not prove the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine designed to prevent cervical cancer and genital warts is safe to give to young girls.

"Merck and the FDA have not been completely honest with the people about the pre-licensure clinical trials," said NVIC president Barbara Loe Fisher. "Merck's pre and post-licensure marketing strategy has positioned mass use of this vaccine by pre-teens as a morality play in order to avoid talking about the flawed science they used to get it licensed. This is not just about teenagers having sex, it is also about whether Gardasil has been proven safe and effective for little girls."

The FDA allowed Merck to use a potentially reactive aluminum containing placebo as a control for most trial participants, rather than a non-reactive saline solution placebo.[1] A reactive placebo can artificially increase the appearance of safety of an experimental drug or vaccine in a clinical trial. Gardasil contains 225 mcg of aluminum and, although aluminum adjuvants have been used in vaccines for decades, they were never tested for safety in clinical trials. Merck and the FDA did not disclose how much aluminum was in the placebo.[2]

Animal and human studies have shown that aluminum can cause nerve cell death [3] and that vaccine aluminum adjuvants can allow aluminum to enter the brain, [4 5] as well as cause inflammation at the injection site leading to chronic joint and muscle pain and fatigue. [6 7] Nearly 90 percent of Gardasil recipients and 85 percent of aluminum placebo recipients followed-up for safety reported one or more adverse events within 15 days of vaccination, particularly at the injection site.[8] Pain and swelling at injection site occurred in approximately 83 percent of Gardasil and 73 percent of aluminum placebo recipients. About 60 percent of those who got Gardasil or the aluminum placebo had systemic adverse events including headache, fever, nausea, dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea, myalgia. [9 10] Gardasil recipients had more serious adverse events such as headache, gastroenteritis, appendicitis, pelvic inflammatory disease, asthma, bronchospasm and arthritis.

"Merck and the FDA do not reveal in public documents exactly how many 9 to 15 year old girls were in the clinical trials, how many of them received hepatitis B vaccine and Gardasil simultaneously, and how many of them had serious adverse events after being injected with Gardasil or the aluminum placebo. For example, if there were less than 1,000 little girls actually injected with three doses of Gardasil, it is important to know how many had serious adverse events and how long they were followed for chronic health problems, such as juvenile arthritis."

According to the Merck product manufacturer insert, there was 1 case of juvenile arthritis, 2 cases of rheumatoid arthritis, 5 cases of arthritis, and 1 case of reactive arthritis out of 11,813 Gardasil recipients plus 1 case of lupus and 2 cases of arthritis out of 9,701 participants primarily receiving an aluminum containing placebo. Clinical trial investigators dismissed most of the 102 Gardasil and placebo associated serious adverse events, including 17 deaths, that occurred in the clinical trials as unrelated.

"There is too little long term safety and efficacy data, especially in young girls, and too little labeling information on contraindications for the CDC to recommend Gardasil for universal use, which is a signal for states to mandate it," said Fisher. "Nobody at Merck, the CDC or FDA know if the injection of Gardasil into all pre-teen girls - especially simultaneously with hepatitis B vaccine - will make some of them more likely to develop arthritis or other inflammatory autoimmune and brain disorders as teenagers and adults. With cervical cancer causing about one percent of all cancer deaths in American women due to routine pap screening, it was inappropriate for the FDA to fast track Gardasil. It is way too early to direct all young girls to get three doses of a vaccine that has not been proven safe or effective in their age group."

The National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC), founded in 1982 by parents of vaccine injured children, has been a leading critic of one-size-fits-all mass vaccination policies and the lack of basic science research into biological mechanisms and high risk factors for vaccine-induced brain and immune system dysfunction. As a member of the FDA Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee (VRBPAC), Barbara Loe Fisher urged trials include adequate safety data on pre-adolescent children and warned against fast tracking Gardasil at the November 28-29, 2001 VRBPAC meeting .[11]

11. pocahontas606

pocahontas606 New Member

when you look at the numbers anyone of those people could be us, or our nieces, or your own kids etc... if my niece was 1 of the 17 i would never get over it.

i wish we would promote building our immune systems instead of making them "under attack" and thus over active and ultimately weakening them. these viruses can live in us for a lifetime - not to mention the preservatives used in them... and can really create havoc later (if not immediately) causing a whole host of problems... many of them neurological...

12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You are right; in the end, it comes down to a personal decision based on each person's circumstances. The more info we have, the better we are able to decide what is in our own best interest.

I do highly recommend PAP smears and exams. At 17, when my daughter went in for her first exam, she had a precancerous lesion on her cervix. It was treated but had to be treated again and again before it was gone and her PAP smears returned to normal.

In my 40's, an abnormal PAP signaled a problem and it turns out I had a large lesion in the back of my cervix. It was removed and I have not had a problem since. I keep up with my PAP smears.

I talked with my Gyn doc about the vaccine due to our family history. He told me that while HPV was responsible for most of the cervical cancer, it wasn't responsible for all of it. He also said the body clears the HPV on its own, unlike the Herpes Viruses which never completely go away. He also mentioned that there are more strains and that the vaccine only dealt with two of them and the two which cause warts. He gives his patients the same info you have posted here and lets them make up their own minds.

Love, Mikie