Failing at college

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by paradigmshift, Apr 26, 2006.

1. paradigmshift

paradigmshift New Member

Even when my sleep cycle is regular, most of the time I awaken unpleasantly tired. I gain more disposition during the morning, when most of my classes are ministrated, but the tiredness is severely aggravated during the afternoon, when my productivity is nearly useless.

Engineering is not a spectator course and in order not to fail I must dedicate a lot of time at home to study, which is merely not happening due to debilitating mental and physical power and short attention spam. My psychoterapist ( CFS gave me clinical depression ) adviced me to low my expectations and focus on not failing in any class instead of having optimal results in all of them, which is impossible in my condition.

Are there any other strattegies I could employ to maximize my energy while studying? Natural stimulants didn't work with me. One thing that works with me but is not an optimal solution is to use the time in between classes to study, but it's not enough. Any extra help?
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

My doctor prescribed provigil for me. It helps me stay alert (sort of) during the day. It is a medication used for narcolepsy. I think it is a central nervous system stimulant.

Good luck! My brother got his engineering degree from Johns Hopkins. Where are you going?

God Bless.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I worked full time and went to grad school at night. But I couldn't have done either one w/ CFS.

Can you go to school part-time?
  4. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I am a college student here as well except that I take all of my classes online so I don't have to go to a physical campus.

However I am not sure in the advice department if I have any, because even though my classes are online, they are more difficult than the classes inside the classroom, and I wish I could go on a physical campus instead but I am in the middle of my program.

The only thing that I can advise is to break things up while you are studying and takes breaks. For the time in between classes maybe note down the important points of the lecture, etc. and do a review of what was discussed and the necessary points that you need to know. Try to find little pockets of time where you are not feeling to bad and use that time to study and do homework.

Just try to do your best and don't think about failing, change that tone to "I will NOT fail this class", and take baby steps in studying and getting what you can get done.

I can't really say much as I am in same predicament as you, I have FM, CFS, and IBS.

Also like the others say talk with the disability services on campus and see if they can allow you more time to do things, I am trying to do the same on my campus.

[This Message was Edited on 05/02/2006]
  5. mildred623

mildred623 New Member

I have been a student for the past 2years. One thing I can say is maybe you need to decrease your load and take fewer classes. I know it means longer till graduation but in the long run where your health is concerned it is worth it.

I have been going now for over 2 years for a 2 year associate degree. I only take one or two classes each quarter. At this rate I will still have 3 or 4 years till graduation. But thats alright at least I maintain fairly decent grades and I'm not wearing myself out to much.

I agree to get all DX in writing then go to disability services. I have several physical DX's as well as a learning disability and with letters to back this up have been given several accomadations to help me out.

I have special permission to sit at the very front of the class where it is easier to hear, I have a special padded office chair with arms on it so I am more comfortable. I also get to take tests in a quiet "testing center" and get double time to take the tests. I am allowed to tape record lectures because note taking is out of the question.

These are just some of the things disability services can help you with.

Best of luck to you.
  6. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I'm a college student as well, and I also find it difficult to function throughout the day. I have CFIDS as well, and it definitely complicates things when you are trying to get an education. Honestly, I don't have much great advice, because I'm still going through trial and error myself. Things were going pretty well for me over the last 6 months or so..maybe even longer. Then, over the last month, I've spiraled completely downhill. The fatigue and low grade fevers have me just wishing I wouldn't wake up at all some mornings. It's not always consoling knowing this disease won't kill me..because it means I may have to live like this forever.

But, one thing I've come to realize is that I cannot put so much pressure on myself to be perfect. I'm definitely a type-A personality, and I'm a straight A, 4.0 student in nursing school. The current class I'm in right now I've got a 100% average with only the final left. However, since the last test, I've been in the WORST flare since I've been diagnosed, which was about 2 years ago. I'm supposed to be reading and studying for the final, which is on May 12th, but I've been too sick to even get off the couch. So, I finally decided my health has to come first. I've been resting ALOT...napping, going to bed early, sleeping late. I'm fortunate that my husband really helps me out and is extremely understanding of my limitations. I've given up on studying and reading for now, and I've rationalized it by the fact that I am doing great in the class, so even if I fail the test, I'd still end up with at least a B.

Maybe it's the wrong way to go about it, but I don't believe in medications, half the time I cannot remember to take my birth control, and nothing else has really worked for me. I've tried eating healthy, exercising, the whole nine yards. But I think what I need most right now is just alot of extra rest and Ibuprofen for my fevers.

Just remember, having this disease is difficult for everyone. But when you have the extra stress of school on top of it, we're bound to have a rough time. Allow yourself the extra time to rest. And you may even need to take a break from classes just to recouperate (spelling?) and regain your strength.

Gentle healing hugs,
    Kim