Failure ...... When It Comes To Chronic Pain, How Are We Judged?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Jun 4, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Failure ............. words of inspiration:

We live in a society where we are constantly judged on whether we are successful or whether we fail. Seldom are we judged for the effort we put forth or given credit for our intentions.

When we begin learning how to manage our pain, most of us will proceed with the purest of intentions. We will constantly be experimenting with new techniques. Some will work for us and others will not. This does not mean we have failed. If we are to be judged, it is only by the merits of whether we have put forth the effort. When it comes to chronic pain, the only way we can fail is to not try.

from "Living with Chronic Pain One Day At A Time" by Mark Allen Zabawa

and as printed in ProHealth's newsletter
  2. dleaning

dleaning New Member

Well said!! I'll have to look for that book!!!
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow that is just what i needed to hear! thanks for that! my 30 year class reunion is comming up in august and Telling everyone "oh look my life didn't turn out like i planned!" .................................................................contimplating (sp) if i should go or not! but i guess i'll swallow my pride one more time and go!!..............................................................the kids i went to school with were really cool so i think it will be fine! .............................................feeling like a failure in life is part of our illnesses i guess !................................................sisland
    [This Message was Edited on 06/04/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/04/2006]
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The bios of most successful people, you will find that they put forth a great deal of effort and most of their efforts didn't result in immediate success. What set them apart is that they believed they could succeed and didn't give up.

I am not well; I am not cured, but I'm a lot better than I was five years ago. I'll never give in nor give up. I'm open to new things but don't try them if I believe the risks outweigh the potential benefits.

What is always sad to see is when docs say, and patients believe, that there is nothing one can do for these illnesses. It simply isn't true.

Love, Mikie