Fair skinned question makes me want to ask

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, Aug 31, 2005.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

how many African Americans we have on the board? I've never met anyone with this background that had fibro.
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Her mother was Jamaican, I definitely know others who don't fit our model of fair either. It does seem to be a predominating theme though.

Jeanne
  3. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Dear cjcookie:

I know a black woman in the US Virgin Islands - St. Thomas who has Fibromyalgia. She has it extremely bad.

Although it seems to be a fair skinned persons disease not only fair skinned have it.

Hugs,
    Francey
  4. teacher

teacher New Member

Check my profile.

Teacher
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Cjcookie:

I am sure our board has members of many ethnic backgrounds who have FMS and/or CFS.

It's been so long ago since I've read research-type info about fibro and CFS that I can't remember if it is supposed to be more prominent in one particular race/culture or not.

I think it just affects people--mainly women, but, as you know, we have some wonderful men on board with us, too -- and I always love to hear their point of view on how it affects them.

6. victoria

victoria New Member

from pandora:

"According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention - CDC, (Dr. Bill Reeves, CFSAC meeting on April 4, 2005,) it was reported that 90% of persons afflicted with CFS/CFIDS are women.

"According to DePaul University, (Dr. Jason Leonard et all, 1999) the highest prevalence rate of folks with CFS - 726 per every 100,000- is actually found in the Hispanic - Mexican American and Puerto Rican population.

"African American CFS Prevalence rate is 337 per 100,000.

"CFS prevalence among white is – 310 per 100,000.

"Since then there have been other prevalence studies (CDC) indicating that 2.2 million persons in the U.S. may suffer from CFS. These findings need to be shared with all segments of the female population in our country."
  7. lease79

lease79 New Member

I'm not african american, but I am dark skinned, dark haired. My sister is the light skinned blonde haired one in our family & she DOESN'T has CFS or Fibro.
  8. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

Just wondering how it was with the different groups. There are so many devestating illnesses that seem to follow certain groups - sickle cell and tay-sachs come to mind. It would be nice if someone caught a break on this disease.
  9. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I am half Lumbee Indian,my daughter is a third.I have brown hair and eyes and darker skin than my daughter.My daughter has very pale skin,red hair out of a bottle and hazel eyes.

I think this awful illness just goes after all kinds of people no matter race, gender or age.
  10. elsa

elsa New Member

I bet there are many, many more men that have CFS/FM
    and just are not diagnosed. Too many prejudice against
    men .... got to be tough guys and all that ...

Most the men in my aquaintance are not going to go
    to the doctor for pain and fatigue. Not necessarily
    because the're too tough, but because they often would
    rather "not know" .... more apt to deny anything is seriously wrong.

The more the stigma of CFS/FM eases, I bet the more men will be diagnosed.

Elsa