Faith is leaking away ...

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by getridof, Jul 4, 2007.

1. getridof

getridof New Member

I feel a bit disappointed about myself. I miss the feeling of building a bridge brick by brick between God and me. Then I found the bridge can be collapsed easily due to some unknown reasons. I don't know a method to grip the relationship. God is so far away, i want to be a friend with HIM. I really don't have any true and supportive friend in my life. I tell everything to God daily. But don't get me wrong, I don't expect an actual voice respond to me (it's a bit scary I think). Somehow, I think I'm quite tired in this silent friendship. I really don't know what's wrong with me. Sometimes I even think my life is done, that's why I don't get any progress in spiritual growth. I know it's sinful....

By the way I would like to ask, is it really ok for not joining a church?
  2. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Hi Getridof,
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I feel like I'm in pretty much the same situation. God feels so far away from me right now. I often find myself wondering if He even cares about anything I'm going through. Sometimes, there are little things that remind me He does, but even so, my circumstances never seem to change. I feel like I'm literally at the breaking point.

I also know what you mean about feeling like your life is done. Sometimes I want so badly for my life to just be over.

About the whole church issue. I had about a 3 year period where I only went to church only a few times a year. Sometimes I go anywhere from 2-6 months between services.

I'm to the point now, where I hate going to church. I go because I feel like it's what God and everyone else expects of me. But I'm usually so distracted and my mind wanders. I find it really hard to concentrate alot of the time. Also, when my depression gets really bad, I just don't want to be around a lot of people. I don't want to be around them, and I frequently get the feeling people don't want to be around me either. Sometimes it just takes too much energy to carry on a conversation with someone. So a lot of the time, I don't even put forth the effort.

Personally, I think whether or not you attend Church is only between you and God. It's not anyone else's business. But I do think that it helps to fellowship with other Christians and to hear the teaching of Scripture. But if you feel you can't or don't want to attend church for awhile, I think that is okay too. After all, the church is not a building. It's a group of imperfect people who seek to worship and honor God.

I hope what I've written here makes sense. I just feel kind of brain dead right now. Anyway, take care.

Lms526
  3. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

When I felt my journey with the Lord had come to a halt I asked Him what it was I needed to change. The first time I asked I wasn't real specific and and boy! did He let me know. This time it was I have to learn forgiveness even when I know it isn't merited. See, the old pride/self comes in. In this area I knew I had to do the changing- meaning forgiving - and it took 2 years of of getting beat up- Spiritually and asking before He finally showed me how to get to the place He wants me at, in this area anyway. I'm sure there'll be lots of others. We all have areas in our lives we have to sever if we want to walk in the shadow of God's friendship.

I also think that it took so long to answer was that He knew my heart and even though I wanted the battle to stop I still felt it was my right to resist the forgiveness until I got to the point of total defeat. This was just a few days ago, and what a burden was lifted!!!!

We have to be really honest with ourselves in doing the severing and let the Holy Spirit teach us, Ask God to also help you hear His Holy Spirit when he speaks to you. I asked if He could make His voice a little louder since this crud He allowed me to have causes a lot of clatter in the brain - sensory overload.

As for the church, the Lord has seen fit to teach me about all the New Age garbage creeping into His church so I'm not too concerned about not going - seems we are getting into the end of the church age and the falling away even of the elect. I've actually done better I think because I haven't been polluted and prayerfully never will be.

Had to add that I do have 3 really strong sisters and a brother in Christ that I go to. It is important to find others that haven't gone the way of New Age to be with.

Just keep asking and He'll answer. I think we all go through a dry desert time with God, maybe testing? only He knows, but that's when our true Faith comes in. Do we beleive Him in only the good times or is it always.

And hearing God's voice isn't scary, it was pretty cool. Heard it twice - the outside-actual voice.

God's Blessing and pray and ask. That's what we're suppose to do.
    Sarah

[This Message was Edited on 07/04/2007]
  4. ixoye

ixoye New Member

It’s vitally important that you get into a good church, so you can grow close to God. God wants us to praise and worship Him in the assembly of his people. If you are not feeding your spirit how do you expect to hear from God? “Seek God first and then all these other things will be added to you.” God is waiting for you to reach out to Him; you need to make an effort of seeking Him first by finding a good church. And don’t give up! It may take some time, ask God to direct your path. Even if you don’t find a church you like right away, go anyway. If you are serious about having a relationship with God then you could take at least one hour of your week to honor God, and when God sees that you are faithful to Him, then He will be faithful to you.

In the meantime you can watch good services through the Internet. I suggest listening to Changing Your World with Creflo Dollar; he gives good solid life changing information.

Joel Osteen, and Charles Stanley, are great teachers also.

Lakewood Church: Discover the Champion in You - Joel Osteen ...

Charles Stanley - Online Sermons
  5. ixoye

ixoye New Member

It’s vitally important that you get into a good church, so you can grow close to God. God wants us to praise and worship Him in the assembly of his people. If you are not feeding your spirit how do you expect to hear from God? “Seek God first and then all these other things will be added to you.” God is waiting for you to reach out to Him; you need to make an effort of seeking Him first by finding a good church. And don’t give up! It may take some time, ask God to direct your path. Even if you don’t find a church you like right away, go anyway. If you are serious about having a relationship with God then you could take at least one hour of your week to honor God, and when God sees that you are faithful to Him, then He will be faithful to you.

In the meantime you can watch good services through the Internet. I suggest listening to Changing Your World with Creflo Dollar; he gives good solid life changing information.

Joel Osteen, and Charles Stanley, are great teachers also.

Lakewood Church: Discover the Champion in You - Joel Osteen ...

Charles Stanley - Online Sermons
  6. getridof

getridof New Member

Every suggestion is precious to me.

Do you guys know a web site called "Our Daily Bread"? I've been visiting it for almost a year. It also connects to Biblegateway. I'm not sure if it is a suitable website for me, but I found it comfortable to read.
  7. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

I pray this will will not cause problems but I have to give a warning. The newer ODB and RBC have been promoting Contemplative spirituality (transcendental mediation in Christian terms) so I would be very careful in reading their devotional. This was the first that our Lord showed me was heading in the wrong direction. When I wrote to RBC about their promoting this stuff their reply was " you are in danger of becoming legalisitc" Their point was I was following our God's written Word too closly.

Streams in the Desert or My Utmost for His Highest and I'm sure theirs a lot of others out.

Anything on TV or the internet now a days to me is suspect and I will check it out completly, finding out what they offer for resources and their book store is a great way to see if they are sticking to God's Word and not mans.

God's Peace
    Sarah
  8. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

I have both those devotions you mentioned "Streams in the Desert" and "My Utmost for His Highest" They are both excellent. I especially recommend "Streams in the Desert" if you are really struggling. In fact, I recently dug out my own copy of that devotional, with the hope that I could connect with God again on some level. I've had times in the past where God felt distant, but never like this.

There are a couple of books on faith that I would recommend.

1. The Case for Faith by Lee Strobel-this is an excellent book if you are struggling with doubt. There is an excellent chapter on suffering and 7 other major objections to Christianity.

2. If I Really Believe, Why Do I Have These Doubts-by Lynn Anderson. Lynn talks openly and honestly about his own struggles with doubt. He refers to himself (and yes, Lynn is a man) as a congenital doubter.

3. The Path of Suffering-Elisabeth Elliot. This is an excellent book on suffering and it's purpose and how to allow suffering to push you closer to God.

Anyway, I guess that's it for now.

Take care,
    Lms526
  9. getridof

getridof New Member

Thank you for the info. You said "The newer ODB and RBC", do you mean there are two ODBs, one is the original and the other one is the "newer"? Hope I didn't go on the wrong track.
  10. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

Newer as in any after 2000 it could even been earlier than that. If you can find any written before 2000 I'd read that. I found to be really safe I'll read any of the ministers that were preaching in the early 1900's,any after 1920 is chancy, the occult was starting to creep in.

There are a few today that have not gone over. Francis Frangipane even though he is real controversial the Lord gave me a dream when I ask if he was okay, that yes he is. He teaches to be Christlike and from the critism I've read it's people who have not really read any of teachings. He does have a web site. And he has traveled some rough roads before and during his ministry, that's why I like him, he's been there, even with being discouraged and I don't always agree with him but I really like what he says.

When I read something written by a minister I will check out the web site and do a search on their resources and book store like I said. I found out by doing this that a church I was going to go to and a dear friend was attending had turned to the new spiritual formation/ centering prayer direction and this church was almost 200 years old!!!! It was a hard thing to tell the friend but she and her daughter were going there. Most times the sermons were great but it's that little bit of leaven that creeps in and can pollute.

Pray for discerment, pray on all things.

God's Peace
    Sarah
  11. getridof

getridof New Member

Thanks for giving me sugestions.
    I'm not doing so well...
    I have no way out for the moment.
    Today I read Psalm 42. I tried so hard to feel as the writer did. But I failed. I just couldn't get it.