Falling and being clumbsy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MicheleK, Sep 15, 2012.

1. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Well, I don't know about you all but I have had quite a few trialsome weeks. For some reason I began having more severe brain symptoms and my brain's perception of where things are is way off.

This week I have fallen out of bed twice. Yesterday I hit the hardwood floor face first and with my shoulder and both knees to boot! I look like I went into the ring with a prize fighter. Thankfully nothing is broken and it's just a lot of soreness and now an increasing of ME & FM symptoms.

I keep walking into door jams, furniture etc.. My husband has found things put in strange places that I have no recollection of. This is no fun! I am not use to having these symptoms so stongly. I feel for all of you who have to deal with these types of cognitive issues on a daily basis. I will be glad when it dies down. For now I am just going to not walk around and hope my brain percieves where the edge of the bed is. I may pull a dresser onto the open side till I feel this has passed. It will be a pain getting out of bed but I sure don't want to get all beaten up by the floor.

How many of you get real clumbsy due to lack of coordination from your illnesses? I know I am not alone in this. Hugs, MicheleK
  2. IanH

IanH Active Member

I have learned that with FM/ME I must do only one thing at a time and that includes thinking. So eg. if I am walking along holding a cup and then start talking to someone else then I am much more likely to drop the cup. If I want to learn something then I MUST have no distractions otherwise it will not be in my brain an hour later, even though I understood and followed all the info I studied. I have a PhD so I was no slug but now I am. I couldn't even study for a basic school exam. It used to be very bad but since taking the energy protocol and with magnesium this is much better but still there.

Also during walking I have trained myself to lift my feet because the lazy-fatigued muscles are no longer bouncy. This helps me avoid falling over.

[This Message was Edited on 09/15/2012]
  3. Bless your heart! I hate to hear that you've had such nasty falls! I'm sure the pain from the falls are bad enough, but then the inevitable flare in the ME/CFS and Fibro just makes it so much worse! I will def be praying for you. Hope you can rest and maybe take some warm soaks in epsom salts (always seems to help me).

Thankfully, I haven't had any bad falls in a while. But I am def more clumsy with this disease! I get bruised from running into things all the time. Sometimes I have bruises and can't even remember how I got the bruises! And I'm not even that old! I'm only 49! But I've said for years that this DD makes me feel like I'm 90! Before this disease hit years ago, I was so physically fit and strong. The contrast is scary... But its all part of this horrible disease(s).

I also have problems with my equilibrium/ vertigo.. I have to catch myself from falling over frequently. Just another part of this dreadful disease we have to adapt to.

I'm so sorry the last 2 weeks have been so rough! Hope things take an upturn and I'm hoping and praying you start feeling better, Michele!

Blessings and Gentle Hugs,
  4. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Ian those are some good suggestions I shall practice till this spell passes.

Shel, you are very sweet. I have to say that in every post you put up, you show yourself to be such an empathetic, kind person. Thank you for sharing yourself here. People with hearts such as yours, shared, feels like a soothing salve to the emotional wounds so many on these boards suffer. You are such a valuable asset here. Thank you!

Hugs, MicheleK
  5. Thanks so much for those kind words! I am more than happy to encourage others whenever I have the chance. I am so blessed by this community here that I want to return the blessing as much as I'm able. You too are a "soothing salve" and I am always so blessed to read your responses! So thank you so much for being such a blessing... not only to me but to so many here! Thanks again, Michele! God bless you!

Blessings and Gentle Hugs,
    Shel :)