Falling down for no apparent reason... Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by eggshel344, Aug 19, 2005.

1. eggshel344

eggshel344 New Member

So I have no idea if this has anything to do with the FMS, CFS or CMFP but yesterday the strangest thing happened to me, and I am hoping someone here will have some advice, info etc...

I was walking and just fell down. I didn't trip, stumble, or anything like that, just seemed to collapse, my legs just gave out under me. I thought it was a fluke, kind of embarrassing ( I was walking in downtown chicago at rush hour) but didnt think much of it after I got over feeling stupid and a couple scrapes.

Then several hours later, I was walking and the same thing happened again. This time was with friends and they confirmed I didn't trip or anything, just striaght down.

Both times I was able to get up, but not immediately- it took a minute to gather strenght, don't know if this part was mental or not, but either way I am a bit freaked out about it all.

Any clues?

Thanks-
    Samantha
  2. eggshel344

eggshel344 New Member

Thanks for your input, but I just want to clarify how I fell, I am not sure it's clear in my first post.

It's not so much that I fell, but how I fell, or the more apparent total lack of a reason for my falling twice in one day out of nowhere.

I didn't fall on anything or trip or fall forward even, it was jsut that my legs seem to give out under me and I went straight down like someone was holding me by the neck and just dropped me. plop. no rocks or wet pavement, just walking fine and then the next step and it's like my legs are silly putty or something and just fold under me.

I have tried doing a search for it on google and webmd, but am having a hard time finding anything at all similar.

Thanks again-
  3. Bambi

Bambi New Member

falling for no apparent reason also. They just gave her the stress treadmill test with dyes and meds to
    increase her blood pressure. Next they are doing an MRI of her brain. I think they are looking for MS and tumors as well as possible blood pressure drops.
  4. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

It isn't normal just to fall for no reason; since this is a new symptom, you definitely need to see your doctor about this.

On another message board, a member developed this problem and I think it ended up being a new neurological problem that required medical attention.

I would call my doctor if I were you--it might be something than "just fibro."

Take care,
    Nicole
  5. TheAurynn

TheAurynn New Member

I get numbness in my legs (I get it in my arms sometimes too) that can cause me to not feel my feet so I fall down or almost fall down. My docs tell me this is related to the FM and is called parasthesia (I hope that's the right spelling). It includes numbness and tingling and I think a lot of people with fibro have it. In the beginning of my fibro, before I was diagnosed, I went to a neurologist and he tested me for MS and it was negative. But it can be very scary. I feel for you.

Jessica
  6. bren22

bren22 New Member

I too have experienced the falling down for no reason. I was getting out of bed one afternoon and when I went to take a step, my right leg seemed not to be there. I sank to the floor. I did contact my doctor immediately and he said that I should not worry unless it became a regular occurence. However, I did get a referral to a neurologist in order to rule out any other causes. My MRI came back clear. I would suggest that you contact your doctor and also consider using a cane/handicapped scooter when out. Is it possible that you were more tired than normal? I find that I feel that my legs are going to give out the more tired I feel.

Bren
  7. tcat

tcat New Member

I have done the same thing just fall for no reason. Skinned knees and hands and finally I fell and missed my last 4 stairs in my home (broken bones then). Took all the lupus and serum tests and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. This was 7 years ago, but when I flare I seem to follow the same trail on that. Feels like the legs just go. Be careful. My prayers are with you.

Tcat.
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I have CFS and stumble and trip easily. I may or may not fall. Anytime I have gone down, I think there was something that could be considered the cause - uneven sidewalk, curb, stairs. Sometime I just seem to stumble over my own feet, though.

I walk more slowly now and watch for any unevenness in the pavement. I also am more attentive when navigating stairs or curbs. This has reduced the actual falling incidents.

I also fumble and drop things easily. I am assuming the two are related.
  9. eggshel344

eggshel344 New Member

hoping for more insight...

10. cobie

cobie New Member

Dear Samantha, Just a thought? as we are all different and present with different symptoms. There is some evidence in cfs that there is reduced cerebral blood flow ,this could have caused you to fall or maybe your blood sugar was low? Talk to your Dr. good luck Cobie