Falling down for no apparent reason

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by 6609510, Dec 3, 2010.

1. 6609510

6609510 New Member

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I am putting it here. This is my first post, and I came here because I tried to find something on the internet about this but nothing too specific came up. I also already tried posting on yahoo answers and didn't get much information.

I am a 30 year old female. I am a moderate smoker, social drinker, and I am obese. I am not currently taking any medication except for allergy pills, which I have been on for a long time.

Last night, I woke up and wanted a drink of water. I stood up with no problem, stepped forward with my right foot, and my leg just seemed to give out on me and I fell forward on to my knees. I remained on my knees for a few seconds, shocked because I have never fallen before without tripping on something. I tried to stand up, right foot first to test if I could bare weight on it, and was able to get to my feet easily and walked to the kitchen like nothing happened.

I am in fairly decent health for the most part, aside from what I already mentioned. I did injure my back about 5 years ago. It was a work comp case, and I don't think it was handled properly. I was diagnosed with a lumbar strain and no imaging was done aside from an Xray which was negative.

I underwent 6 months of pretty intensive physical therapy so I could return to my highly physical job (I walk several miles a day, lift 30+ pounds repetitively, and push and pull several times that repetitively as well). I have experienced some sciatic pain but it's very infrequent. Aside from that, I have had no debilitating symptoms post therapy and return to work.

In the past few weeks, the area I previously injured has been spasming. It usually happens when I am sitting down and bend or reach. I do get numbness in my feet, but my last general practitioner attributed that to stress which aggravated my Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Just curious what some of you might think about my situation based on this information. I'm relatively sure I need an MRI and I'm thinking there might be some nerve damage at work here but before I freak out about it, I'm wondering if anyone thinks it might be something else or has some idea I haven't contemplated.

Thanks!
  2. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Welcome to the board. Lots of nice people here to talk to.

I don't what what might have caused the fall. (There are no doctors on the board
    to give a diagnosis.)

With regard to your worker's comp injury, did you have an attorney?
    You might want to talk to same (or a new attorney). You may be
    entitled to further benefits. this would depend on the state you live in,
    the statute of limitations, and the type of settlement.

It's also possible that you have grounds for a new claim based on continuous
    injury due to the physical demands of your job. Or, you might be entitled
    to a modified/new work position.

Don't know about the state you live in, but here in California, a consultation
    w/ a workers' comp atty is free. The attorney must make a recovery
    before getting a fee. The amount of the fee is set by the judge; maximum
    of 15% here.

In the upper right hand corner you can find a list of the boards at this site as
    well as the board rules. If you want to discuss non-medical topics (like
    kids, movies, pets), check out the chit chat board.

Good luck
    Rock
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

As Rock mentioned, ProHealth doesn't provide any doctors here. I can tell you from personal experience that it is probably time to see a neurologist. I am in a electric scooter due to a late night fall some years ago and it put me in the hospital for a week. It's not worth waiting and having a fall that will put you in a wheelchair or power chair or scooter for the rest of your life.

A neurologist will listen to what you explain (make a list so you don't forget anything) and then s/he will do a full exam and possibly some tests.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/04/2010]