False Hope Blues

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rcarr, Nov 3, 2006.

1. rcarr

rcarr New Member

Does anyone struggle with getting your hopes up because of the use of a new medication or supplement that seems to cause some relief, only to be disappointed by a sudden "crisis" and find yourself in bed again, and this time, more devestated because you thought you had found "the cure" for your most painful symptoms?
  2. maryld

maryld New Member

OOOOOOh yes, sounds all to familiar to me. For the last three years i have been going through that. It gets to be so depressing doesnt it? Every time it happens i tell myself thats it i give up, i am not trying anything else.Then eventually i get over it and the cycle repeats itself. I know it gets harder to believe something will actually work after being let down so many times. I even traveled out of state a couple times for different treatments. Do you have fm/cfs? I do believe that help will be coming soon...just from the things i have researched and learned recently.I hope you feel the same.I know its hard but we have to believe. I am here for you.
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

just has become natural at this point to hope for the best and expect the worse.

that way i don't get disappointed.

there isn't a cure yet. if there were it would save the federal government and insurance companies tons of money.

ad we wouldn't have people going homeless or near it.

jodie
  4. barbaradh

barbaradh New Member

I think that everyone with this condition (especially those of us who have had it for quite some time) have been thru this. I know I have. I was under the care of a doctor a few years back who used me as a guinea pig for about five years. He was convinced that he could cure me, and I was eternally optimistic. He of course didn't cure me, and I was devestated. To make matters worse, with each failed attempt he became more and more frustrated with ME. He eventually ran out of ideas, and actually told me he could not be my doctor anymore. It's amusing to me now, but at the time it really hurt me. I actually felt like I had let him down (it's terrible the guilt-trips we put ourselves on sometimes).

I'm more careful now about what I allow the doctors to do to me, and when something new is tried, I try to remain "cautiously optimistic." That way if it works, great, and if it doesn't, I'm not devestated.

I do think it's important to keep trying, take a break when you need to, and most important, never give up hope.

Hang in there!
  5. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I'm the eternal optimist cause every morning when I wake up my first thought is that today I'll be better. I don't even get my hopes up on the drugs. Been on so many different ones they don't even faze me. The only drugs I have hopes with anymore are the pain killers. Now mind you I have Fibro for three years now but still believe every morning it will be better if not gone. I don't really get depressed when it isn't any better more like sh_ _ another day without any relief. Oh well like I said an eternal optimist.......SueF
  6. wld285

wld285 New Member

....for 40 yrs. The only thing I can say is.....don't give up hope. Over the yrs. I have been let down so many times, but the hope always comes back. Try to think positive!