familiar with Cymbalta ??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fmransom, Dec 19, 2005.

1. fmransom

fmransom New Member

Hello everyone, I went to my psycho Dr. and he put me on a medicine called cymbalta (think that's right can't read his writing) . Is anyone taking this ? If so please tell me your expercience , did it help ?
    Thanks for your help in advance.

KAT
  2. fmransom

fmransom New Member

I'm starting with 30 mg. and then Dr. said I would build up
    you have to slowly start this med.
  3. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

I am taking 120 mg a day it has really helped me. I know when I tried to stop taking it for a couple of weeks, I started having anxiety and crying everyday so, I then realized how much it was helping.
  4. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

I take it too. I take 60 mg/day. it's helping a lot but it makes me constipated.
  5. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I have been taking Cymbalta for almost a year now. I love it. My moods are very calm and peaceful and it really does helps with the pain. I made the mistake of not getting my refill on time and boy could I tell the difference.... I have gained a little bit of weight because of the cymbalta but still this med is worth it. I have heard you need to regularly have your liver checked because one of the side effects are liver damage. Mine has been just fine every time though.

Angela
  6. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Pleas do a search on this med on the top of the page. You will see numerous Q/A about this drug. I cannot tell you how it works though I refused to take it. Just read some of the other posts on this board. I refused to take it because on the warning for this med if you had divertiulitus like I had(Lost 12" of my sigmoid colon becuase of div) you should not take this as it can cause more damage then what the diver has done already, and I pointed this out to the doc and he said take it anyway. I think not. I have enough health problems without adding to them becuase of prescribed drugs.

Also if you google cymbalta there is a lot of info out there about this drug good and bad. Study evals are also out there for you to read.

You can also go to this site and look it up there. There are multiple opinions on 1 page.
    http://www.askapatient.com/

Jake
    [This Message was Edited on 12/20/2005]
  7. risinforce

risinforce New Member

I was on Cymbalta a year ago and then had to go off of it for 6 months (over the summer)because my insurance would not pay for it. It was the worst 6 months of my life.

Now I am back on it. 120 mg's a day. I take it in the morning. It is the best medicine (antidepressant) I've ever used other than Zoloft. My psyciatrist and pain doc are giving me samples to get me by until my insurance changes in January and i can get a script. How awesome is that!

Some people have had negative reactions w/it but for me it has been great. Has helped w/my mood swings, weeping, raging. I've been on antidepressants ever since the birth of my son (6 yrs ago). My hormones just got all wacked out. When I got FMS they tried Cymbalta for pain since I had tried Neurontin and Elavil and both of those didn't work and Cymbalta worked. it has helped w/the pain.

I was originally only supposed to take 60 mg's but accidently misread the directions and started taking 120mg. Since I didn't have a negative reaction to that high of a dosage, my psyciatrist just kept me at that level. When I was off of cymbalta I took Effexor and lexapro but neither of those meds did the trick for me. I basically spent the last 6 months as a basket case and in alot of pain.

I wish you well! Get the script filled and give it a try. have you tried Topamax yet? I take that as well for pain management. It is helpful. It also helps w/headaches if you get alot of those.

Hugs and Happy Holidays!
    Shawn