Family Connections and FMS, CFS or Lyme

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by toronto133, Dec 30, 2005.

1. toronto133

toronto133 New Member

In reading through the posts on the board, I have seen that many of you have family members who also have FMS, CFS or Lyme.

I am 42 and recently diagnosed with FMS, though I have had some symptoms since I was teenager. These include numb face, red eyes, muscle twitching, pain, etc Oddly enough, my father also had the same symptoms including Bells palsy but the doctors were never able to determine what was wrong. My younger sister also has many of the same symptoms and has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.

Have been for one appt at the FFC and will return soon. Does anybody think that the family situation illuminates anything about what the problem is/or isn't? I worry about my daughters and feel that I must figure it out.

I have had the tests to rule out MS, Lupus, RA.

Denise
  2. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

But not in all familes, I'm the only one that is sick in my family.
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I have fibro, cfs, systemic lupus, osteoarthritis, and osteoporosis, plus a ton of other problems.

Many in my family have rheumatology-type problems.

My mother also has severe osteoarthritis and osteoporosis, as did her mother.

My younger sister has severe osteoarthritis as well as rheumatoid arthritis, fibro, and cfs. She had the arthritis since she was a teen and eventually caused her to have two total knee replacements. They are even now talking about a shoulder replacement--or major surgery on it due to arthritis.

My older daughter, who is 32, already has arthritis and has had 2 knee surgeries due to it. She is also starting to show signs of fibro and/or cfs.

My son has arthritis in his knee; however, it is due to a fall when he was an early teen that damaged his knee and we did not have surgery on it, as we know look back and see that we should have.

It certainly does look like it runs in the family!

Hugs,
    Janet
  4. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

I read a lot of stories on Lymenet dot org of families all having lyme. There are even some moms with young children struggling with it.

Isn't that scary. I think my husband may have it or at least the Epstein-barr that I have. He isn't feeling as well as he usually does.

Sandy
  5. toronto133

toronto133 New Member

Janet, you and your family sound like they have a lot to contend with. In this context, I feel fortunate.

Sandy...I never considered Lyme (have been following your story on the boards) because of the family thing. Could I really have had this my whole life? It sounds crazy. The FFC is doing a lyme test so hopefully I will find out. Some of my symptoms don't match up well with FMS.

I hope your treatment is going well,

Denise